Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cardio Fitness feature. Question on "setup"

ANSWERED

Hi!

For information I've used my Charge Fitbit 3 everyday the last 8 months or so. 

So the last time i checked my cardio fitness score, before december sometime, I had an average to good score on the cardio fitness.

Somehow and sometime after that my cardio fitness jumped up to a score of 95-99. Don't know when, haven't been paying attention. In the last months I've been eating super healthy, veggies and beans, loosing weight and getting fitter.

Im 179, 97.3 kg now. I was around 102 kg after Christmas feast.

For activity I mountainbike (no chairlift used), and in winter I go skitouring up and down mountains. I also work out 3 times a week at "my" gym. I have noticed a considerable easy on my breathing and better "allover fitness", but nothing that can explain the score jump. 

Is there some setting that could have been changed? 

-My weight is correct. GPS is always on. I wear my fitbit when I sleep. Age and sex is correct. 

I do ride an e-bike a lot to school, stores and such, replacing my car. Could that trick the fitbit? ^^

Thanks in advance. 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Stisyklaren wrote:

Hi!

Somehow and sometime after that my cardio fitness jumped up to a score of 95-99. Don't know when, haven't been paying attention. ...

-My weight is correct. GPS is always on. I wear my fitbit when I sleep. Age and sex is correct. 

Thanks in advance. 🙂 

Hi, @Stisyklaren  A score of 95-99 seems off the charts high based on what many others have reported in this older thread. 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/What-Is-Your-Fitness-Score/td-p/2236393/page/2

What is considered 'excellent' (or any other category) is age dependent -- meaning my estimate range 49-53 is excellent for a 59 year old, but might not be for a 20 year old.  But your estimate is so high it makes me think there was some sort of calculation glitch.  I would try restarting your CH3 (swipe to settings, scroll down to 'about' and scroll down again to 'reboot'), and and then go out an do a couple of gps recorded runs in order to get a more precise score as opposed to the range that Fitbit defaults to if you don't gps record runs.  See more on that here.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

@Stisyklaren wrote:

Hi!

Somehow and sometime after that my cardio fitness jumped up to a score of 95-99. Don't know when, haven't been paying attention. ...

Thanks in advance. 🙂 

Hi, @Stisyklaren  A score of 95-99 seems off the charts high based on what many others have reported in this older thread. 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/What-Is-Your-Fitness-Score/td-p/2236393/page/2

What is considered 'excellent' (or any other category) is age dependent -- meaning my estimate range 49-53 is excellent for a 59 year old, but might not be for a 20 year old.  But your estimate is so high it makes me think there was some sort of calculation glitch.  I would try restarting your CH3 (swipe to settings, scroll down to 'about' and scroll down again to 'reboot'), and and then go out an do a couple of gps recorded runs in order to get a more precise score as opposed to the range that Fitbit defaults to if you don't gps record runs.  See more on that here.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

I agree with @Baltoscott 95-99 is way off the charts. What does a typical 24-hour HR graph looks like for you? This one (from the app):

24-hr HR.png

What about resting heart rate (RHR)? Cardio fitness score is primarily based on heart rate, so I would look at the HR stuff first.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Baltoscott and @Dominique

Thank you for your replies! 

I agree, it seems way high. Thats why I'm posting here 🙂 

If I do the restart, will I loose any personal data? 

Resting heart rate is normally +/- 55, depending on restitution, stress  and such. 

I can post an image of a normal days heartbeat later on

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, restarting your tracker won’t result in any loss of data. You literally have nothing to lose by doing it, and it only takes a few seconds.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

The cardio fitness is now dropping after the reboot. It seems to have done the trick. Thanks 🙂 

Best Answer

Cardio fitness score is a metric that tends to stay the same for quite many days in a row, especially when expressed as a range (as opposed to a single number). In other words, it’s not like RHR, which can vary up and down on a daily basis. So I think it should be "has dropped (back to where it was before)", rather than "is now dropping". 

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see, Dominique. That seems logical.

The reason I said it's dropping is because it went to a score of 68-72. I still find it high for me and figured it would drop some more and settle in. But, maybe I don't really understand this cardio fitness score. Correct me if I'm wrong; the cardio fitness score gives an indication of how well the body is able to use the oxygen that I breathe in. (?) With that in mind, a well trained person will be able to use the oxygen more effectively and therefore get a higher cardio fitness score.

I'm under the impression that 68-72 is a high score because in the app it shows a maratonrunner that has a score of 88, and I'm not even close to being a maratonrunner.  🙂 (getting closer tho (Y)) 🙂 

Best Answer

68-72 is an unusually high score, unless you are a world class athlete or just way outside the norm.  I suspect that the Fitbit algorithm takes your recent metrics (probably that last couple of weeks) into account in calculating whatever score it presents on a given day.  Your initial jump into the 90s after being in the good range historically may take a while to average out now that you have rebooted your CH3.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer