Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheating on step count

ANSWERED

I received a Fitbit Versa for Christmas 2018.  I just finished uploading all the required info on to my cellphone.

I am ready to go.

The problem is that I have not moved from this computer but my Versa shows I have doing a little walking.

So, I decided to stand in place & just move my arms.

I was correct...I can cheat on my step count by just moving my arms.

THIS MAKE ME VERY ANGRY! This makes it ease for me to cheat on my step count.

I don't want the movement of my arms to count as steps.  

Anyone have tips to prevent arm movement to count as steps?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The only way to prevent that is to wear it in your pocket, but then the heart rate data is lost.

Being worn on your wrist, it can only detect steps from the normal swinging of your arms when walking.  Fitbit uses algorithms to try to distinguish other arm movements from walking but cannot always tell.  Most people find that over the course of a whole day, the step count error is not significant.

Certain activities are more likely to give false steps, continuous rhythmic movements, such as patting a dog, burping a baby, knitting, brushing hair, etc.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

The only way to prevent that is to wear it in your pocket, but then the heart rate data is lost.

Being worn on your wrist, it can only detect steps from the normal swinging of your arms when walking.  Fitbit uses algorithms to try to distinguish other arm movements from walking but cannot always tell.  Most people find that over the course of a whole day, the step count error is not significant.

Certain activities are more likely to give false steps, continuous rhythmic movements, such as patting a dog, burping a baby, knitting, brushing hair, etc.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

I upgraded from a Zip which I kept clipped on the my pant or short waist line, so it only measured my steps.  I did shake the Zip to see if movement would add to my step  count, but it didn't. 

I loved my Zip, but everyone I spoke with kept saying to upgrade. So I found a color band I like & picked the Versa with the Ruby band.

I might have to return it & get a Zip, since I only care about my steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@StepCheaterAt the end of the day you may find your Versa may have under reported your steps.. But as I have found out it evens out with other types of movement as @JohnnyRow has mentioned

I have found that walking for exercise, the wrist type Fitbits are reasonably accurate.. But, the minute you get into a domestic situation you will lose steps because you don't walk around your house with a walking type arm action.

How do I know  this...Because of my nature, a retired engineer, I'm always testing the Fitbits and I wear their Fitbit One concurrently and have it also linked to the same account and that is when I notice the steps difference..  Especially when shopping with the trolley..

So I lose some in a domestic situation. but two days ago I picked up wrist type movements because I was gardening, pruning and sweeping..

You will enjoy your Versa as many of us have with our Fitbits...

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@StepCheater  If you want the "worry" of running the Zip and Versa concurrently it works if you are careful with the syncing settings on the same account..

I have tested the Zip concurrently with my Ionic. Then I had the One and the Zip both linked to the same account.

In your case I would create a separate account for the Zip and use the Versa and the Zip and compare over time...Smiley Happy I have to keep testing the Zip because my One is now 6 years young and discontinued model and when the battery gives up.. I will be using the Zip as my comparison.

@StepCheater wrote:

I upgraded from a Zip which I kept clipped on the my pant or short waist line, so it only measured my steps.  I did shake the Zip to see if movement would add to my step  count, but it didn't. 

I loved my Zip, but everyone I spoke with kept saying to upgrade. So I found a color band I like & picked the Versa with the Ruby band.

I might have to return it & get a Zip, since I only care about my steps.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

The user isn't happy with the product she purchased.  There's no reason to call her out.  That's an over-reaction on your part.

Best Answer

Thank you @DesertDaisy

I wasn't sure why I would receive a negative reaction to my comment.

I did return the Versa & have ordered the Zip which I have always

been happy to use. I only replaced my old Zip because my puppy 

chewed it up. Luckily he did not eat the battery.

Best Answer

@WendyB

have you tried saying "removed, removed, removed" while clicking your heels once each time you say removed ??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

@StepCheater

fitbit data, regardless of the device or the point monitored is

not 100% accurate .. but over time it does give a pretty decent picture of progress and allows one to gauge activities.  sounds like you have exactly what you want and need .. sorry to hear the original met its demise at the paws of your puppy raptor 😂😂      keep steppin on and having fun !!!!!

Best Answer