Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chronic Illness and Fitbit!

ANSWERED

Hi, I am new to this community so bare with me. I have Fibromyalgia, every time I start working out I have too much pain and have to quite. I am 73 and moderately active. I walk the dog every morning but she is old and slow so I get a lot of steps but it is "stop and start" with her. I also do not sleep well at night. I have sleeping pills but do not like to take them. I am tired most mornings, on the days I get enough sleep I do too much and it starts all over again. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Also if you like walking maybe check out Leslie Sansone walk at home. She has many DVD on Youtube you could do. Start slow and do what you can.

1 Mile takes 15 minutes. But if you have to much pain just quit.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Keep walking. Maybe add more?

You need to Find what you like and stick with it.

I'm a stickler. I have 3 things I  do and make sure they are done even on weekends.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Also if you like walking maybe check out Leslie Sansone walk at home. She has many DVD on Youtube you could do. Start slow and do what you can.

1 Mile takes 15 minutes. But if you have to much pain just quit.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I checked out Leslie Sansone on You Tube and this looks like it's right up my ally. Thank you for the advise. I really appreciate it. 

Best Answer

I'd caution you to be careful about assuming you can use the same exercising practices as healthy people. One of the hallmarks of ME/CFS (related to, if not the same as FM) is that the body does not react to exercise in the normal way - instead of building you back up, exercise can do real damage. There is a research group in Australia which is doing extensive work with a physiotherapist to help ME/CFS patients build up their strength without harming themselves. It has a lot to do with monitoring your heart-rate. I just got the Fitbit Versa to aid me in this and am excited to be able to have someone out there advising people in my condition about exercise. I don't know if your illness is manifesting in this way or not, but you might want to check out the research that is being done, if you find that exercise often leaves you exhausted for days. The Fitbit is exactly the tool to help you build up your strength, but you may need help tailoring your approach to your body's specific needs. even most MDs don't have much education in the latest research into these illnesses and often advise exercise regimens that are ultimately harmful. This webpage is a good start. http://jupiterhealth.com.au/pacing/

Best Answer

Hello, I'm so sorry to hear about your pain and health problems. I can relate. I am 31 and at 25 was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and many other health problems that involve fatigue and chronic pain. I have found just walking around in a pool is the best way to exercise without so much immediate pain. You do need to be careful because when you get out of the watergravity hits you, but spending even just 10 minutes walking or marching in a pool helped me a ton in the beginning. At my local YMCA they have one and a hot tub to soak in after. Also, they have water aerobics for arthritis that is very helpful. I just let the teacher know that I would be leaving early since I could not do a full half hour to begin with. Another option is a recumbent bike. (That's the one where you're legs are more in line with your bum and not like sitting on an actual bike.) It's easier on the joints as well. I really hope this helps!!

Best Answer