Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting stairs

ANSWERED
How do I get steps to be counted? When I go up and down the steps here it home it doesn't seem to count them.
Best Answer
0 Votes
3 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions
There has to be an elevation gain of 10 feet for Fitbit to register 1 flight. I found this out the hard way 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
That is strange. Is there an elevation gain of at least 10' per flight of stairs? Did you have to walk any distance between flights?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try switching to dominant, remember to change your setting as well.  See if that clear things up.  If not request help from Fitbit.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18
There has to be an elevation gain of 10 feet for Fitbit to register 1 flight. I found this out the hard way 🙂
Best Answer
Thank you for the answer. The other day it said I didn't III flights but there's only eight steps a landing in another six steps so not sure how this all happens.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Your fitbit is an altimeter so things like barimetric pressure and wind can impact its count. A 10 foot increase equals one floor, regardless of how many steps you take. Walking up a steep hill counts, a standard flight of stairs works, etc. I can also get floors in my jeep if I drive on a bumpy road 😛

Best Answer

Intersting. I climbed 8 floors and yet the floor count remains at zero. Is there something to be done to activate the altimeter. I am sure there would be a change in pressure as our building is definitely not isobaric.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is strange. Is there an elevation gain of at least 10' per flight of stairs? Did you have to walk any distance between flights?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Between my two flights of steps, I only have about three or 4 feet of space cover and really, if you just turn and take three steps, you're on the next set of steps.

I am also doing physical therapy for broken ankle and yesterday My fitbit Force said I did 3 strains. In reality the only thing I can figure out it recorded was that I was laying on the table and doing leg lifts and side leg lifts with my left leg, nothing with the right.

Interesting.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Do you have Fitbit set to non-dominant hand/side?
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have no Fitbit force on my nondominant hand, which is the left-hand for me. As I'm sending you this message I also broke my left ankle so the left side is the one it's getting all the activity center. Maybe that's my answer.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Try switching to dominant, remember to change your setting as well.  See if that clear things up.  If not request help from Fitbit.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Smiley HappyYes. its easily ten feet. there is a landing(two flights to cover a flow). but as this should just be sensing the pressure that should not be an issue.

Anyway will try putting it on the dominant hand and see if that helps. Also not sure if having the fitbit covered by my sleeve could be the problem (will try doing it with a rolled up sleeve tomorrow

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sleeve rolled up and dominant hand change - both didnt work. Case for support looks like

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just climbed 5 flights of stairs to try to go from the 9 that were logged to my quota of 10 for the day . . . none of it logged.  I know we do this to keep fit rather than to get credit, but seriously . . . I want credit too.  Suggestions?? 

Best Answer

I have the same issue.   I have had my Charge HR for a year now and seemed to count stairs accuratly in the beginning.  I find now that if I climb the stairs at a "normal" pace no update- if I sprint they will register. Think its time for Fitbit upgrade?

Best Answer

I've decided it needs time to register I'm at a new altitude. I've found if I walk a few steps on the first floor before I go back down the basement, then the flight of stairs counted, but if I just head back downstairs and go up again sometimes it just doesn't notice.

Best Answer

Good info - thanks. Will try this!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been having problems with stairs not counting. I found that if  i quickly go down the stairs they count. So it is not just walking up or down the stairs, but, how rapidly you do it. I feel this is a defect of my Charger II. It should work correctly.

I have the same issue.   I have had my Charge HR for a year now and seemed to count stairs accuratly in the beginning.  I find now that if I climb the stairs at a "normal" pace no update- if I sprint they will register. Think its time for Fitbit upgrade?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been having problems with stairs not counting. I found that if I quickly go down the stairs they count. So it is not just walking up or down the stairs, but, how rapidly you do it. I feel this is a defect of my Charger II. It should work correctly.

I have the same issue.   I have had my Charge HR for a year now and seemed to count stairs accurately in the beginning.  I find now that if I climb the stairs at a "normal" pace no update- if I sprint they will register. Think its time for Fitbit upgrade?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The ceilings in my old house exceed 9 feet, so this explanation is not a solution. How else does this get fixed? Or is it simply a shortcoming of many charge 2 devices?

Best Answer
0 Votes