Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting steps for Cycling!

ANSWERED

So I have had my Fitbit for 6+ months. As I have researched issues, I have noticed that many people have struggles with not being able to count steps while cycling, I to get frustrated with this. Being a triathlete and competitive, want all my steps to count. What I don't understand is how after a few years of Fitbit knowing this is an issue, why have they not come up with a solution? It is more motivating when all your activities count as steps so when you are competing against friends on the Fitbit app that you feel you have a chance. I think Fitbit needs to expand their horizon to not only motivating customers to walk and run but all sports. Swimming and biking are my 2 favorites. 

Best Answer
243 REPLIES 243
This whole debate is one of the (many) reasons I jumped the Fitbit ship and converted to Apple Watch. Sure I can still see my step count, but basing my daily activity off of active calories burned is much, much better. And thankfully my insurance recognizes either 10,000 steps or (for me) 700 active calories equally as an “advanced workout.” (For my wife the active calorie benchmark was set lower even though her 10,000 steps option is the same.)

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
So you can use the FitBit app with an Apple Watch?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ColK no the apple roach will only link up to an apple account. A Fitbit tracker will only link up to a Fitbit account. Apple has not decided to sync with Fitbit, I do not see them linking up in the near future. 

@brightpuppy this thread is simply a conversation among Fitbit users with no expectations that any developer may be reading it. 

Have you added your vote and comment to one of the feature suggestions linked to above? The feature suggestion board is specifically for users to make their thoughts known to the developers. 

Best Answer

Hi @Rich_Laue 

Thanks for being active on the board.

I did vote for a couple of the related feature suggestions including the one for "Convert Bike Distance (or Spinning) into Steps". But most of them seems to be locked for comments. Please suggest where I should provide the comments.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry I had not looked to see if any of these where looked. 

Generally they stay unlocked until the conversation turns to, to put it nicely, being unhelpful.. If it has been locked, you may thank your fellow Fitbit users. 

Best Answer

Well I generally use an elliptical and my FitBit counts it as steps, my FitBit counts steps when I bike by putting it on my ankle.  I don’t feel cheated.  If FitBit doesn’t read their own forums and discussions that’s on them.  I enjoy my FitBit but may get an Apple Watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes
No but with a 3rd party app I got all my Fitbit data transferred to apple health, which I in turn came to like much better.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I started this venture it was solely to solve a problem.  I use my Charge 2 on my ankle while biking.  I do this for me solely to account for and have a consistent measure of time and distance; it works wonderfully!

But I would suggest FitBit add various modes: step, bike, swim, etc...  This could help those who cannot walk or bike.  I could also see a ‘couch’ mode that measures potato time!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @ColK depending on which Fitbit model that you have, up to 6 or 7 exercise modes can be added out of a selection of up to 19 to choose from. 

They do include bike, swim, hike, weights, workout, yoga, and others. 

Best Answer

You can go into your dashboard or app and manually log your exercise for the bike ride.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They should do away with just steps and create a points system. Then steps, calories, active minutes, stairs climbed, and distance would be converted into points.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The point system is called calories. 

Best Answer
If the point system is calories than we should just compare calories instead of steps
Best Answer
0 Votes

That makes sense to me, I usually walk with my legs, not my arms. 🤔

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get steps counted while washing dishes and not even moving my feet.

Why wouldn't I get steps while moving my legs up and down while pedaling a bicycle?

Best Answer
There you go! Completely agree.
Best Answer

Because steps are counted based on arm movements. 

Many while on a bike find that many of the bumps the bike rides over are counted. 

Best Answer

I rode 20 miles on my bike yesterday and got about 2,000 steps ( must have been from all the bumps).  I have put my Charge 2 on my ankle on previous rides and it works quite well for getting steps (approx. 10,000 steps for 20 mi.). My strap is a size small so it was always a bit tight but I’ll get a bigger strap and use it on my ankle in the future. 

Best Answer

I'm at a loss to understand. @Diana2 

Complaining about the false steps from the bumps but happy with the false steps while on the ankle. 

Best Answer

Yeah I have no response to that...

Best Answer
0 Votes