Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom heart rate zones for naturally fast heart rate

ANSWERED

Hi there. I have a naturally fast heart rate - it runs in the family and the doctor is not concerned. I'm not super-fit but I'm not unfit either (hate hard exercise but have an active job and hobbies) and not overweight, yet my resting heart rate averages 84 and it easily reads anything from 90 to 115 when I'm just moving around the house, working, eating, talking, making a cup of tea etc. (Sitting here typing this? 97.) This means fitbit is recording around 12 hours a day in the 'fat burn' zone, but this can't be right!! Does anyone know how I can determine what heart rate zones would be more accurate for me please? I know that I can customise them, but I'd just be guessing at the appropriate numbers...

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

hey @NaomiNome welcome to the community.. here is a link that could help you figure out your fat burn heart rate instead of what is being recorded by your tracker. Some say these calculations are outdated, some say they are still current- either way it will show you how it's all calculated and maybe help you with your question. https://www.active.com/fitness/articles/how-to-calculate-your-training-heart-rate-zones

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

hey @NaomiNome welcome to the community.. here is a link that could help you figure out your fat burn heart rate instead of what is being recorded by your tracker. Some say these calculations are outdated, some say they are still current- either way it will show you how it's all calculated and maybe help you with your question. https://www.active.com/fitness/articles/how-to-calculate-your-training-heart-rate-zones

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

The link @emili posted is the traditional wisdom. It defines your fat burn zones as 50-75%. Fitbit defines fat burn as 50-69%, so there's not a huge difference.

@NaomiNome, here's my take. You're in the fat burn zone that many hours, period. If your heart rate is elevated from a natural condition or from walking in place it doesn't matter--you're exerting yourself--either way calories are being burned.

When I first got a fitbit, my resting heart rate was high enough that I got lots of daily hours of fat burn (now I have to work for fat burn).  If your doctor is fine with your heart rate, enjoy the extra fat burn time!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes