Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declining Resting Heart Rate

I've read lowering your resting heart rate can be a good indication of improved fitness. I just wondered how quickly people started noticing a dip in their own. I received a FitBit this past Christmas and my resting heart rate has decreased several points since then. Specifically, after this past week of really ramping up activity, it has dropped from 64 bpm to 59. I've seen it get as low as 49 when sitting still.

I was running long distances before a leg injury and am working my way back to that level of fitness. I wasn't keeping tabs on my heart rate back then, so I'm not sure how to draw any conclusions from my decline/improvement now. I realize a wrist-mounted fitness tracker isn't a failsafe way to keep tabs on heart rate, but a decline is a decline.

Any other similar experiences?

Best Answer
58 REPLIES 58

Yes a lowered resting heart rate indictes an improvement in you physical fitness.  Way to go!

Best Answer

good for you. I agree a decline is a decline. I too never measured my resting rate before so I am not sure how much it has come down since I became fit. But I can tell you that within 4 months, my BP meds had to be reduced to almost nothing and my hubby wonders if I am part of the walking dead because of my low stats. since you ran before, I am sure you also know that how quick you recover after intense activity is a great indicator of fitness. I would maybe monitor that more than resting... at least I do.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I try to be mindful of my comedown, as well. Funny that you mention it as after my run this morning, I stayed in the 90s for quite a while. I was partiuclarly dehydrated, though. I usually fall back down into the 70s rather quickly. My blood pressure isn't as low as it should be, so that's another thing I'm trying to keep an eye on. I think I'm going to start cutting back on sodium.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes recovery rate after intense exercise is also a great indicator of fitness. I uaually compare my HR after a 5 min cool down.

Best Answer

Even i am seeing a decline in my resting heart rate . The only change that i have done from my peak resting heart rate is that i started running more regularly . But still i dont think it shouldnt make a huge difference . I did upgrade my fitbit to the newer version , not sure if this could be the reason . 

Resting heart rate.JPG

Best Answer
0 Votes

One of the many positive effects of aerobic exercise is that your heart, because of the training effect, becomes a more efficient pump.  It's able to pump more blood with each contraction, thereby lowering your resting and exercise heart rate

Best Answer
I have noticed all your comments show the same trends, but i do not believe they are true. I have AF atrial Fibrillation, with medication it improves my heart muscles performance, i exercise at the Gym 4-5 days x 45mins, my heart rate during exercise is usually about 160 b/m.+ ,two points are relevant, 1)
Fitbit Surge does show my declining heart rate from 67~ 52, Why? I guess its just mathematics of the programmer. 2) just before i developed AF my resting heart rate was 43 B/m, and i was very concerned. i would suggest yes monitor it, Exercise as hard as your body will permit and make every chore an exercise.
Best Answer

Well, a downward HR trend is usually a very good indicator of improving health, but certainly not always a guaranteee of it. There are always exceptions to this "rule" - such as some kinds of infections, aging, and damage to the heart's electrical system.

I too, have A-fib, but it's controlled with medication and I'm still able to exercise the same as I did before being diagnosed. My RHR stayed the same, which suprised me. My average HR when running is only 120, (I usually jog at an easy pace), but it reaches the 160's during more extreme exertion.

My layman's guess is that your HR decline IS a sign of improving health, and that your doctor would be able to confirm (or reject) that.

Best Answer

The Resting Heart Rate is also affected stress levels.  My normal RHR is 53 - which always sets off the alarm on the blood pressure/heart rate monitor at the doctor's office - but during this past two weeks that I have been sitting on jury duty, my RHR has gradually increased to over 60. I assume the increase has been because of stress, since I have been making a point of getting out an exercising every evening when I get home, walking 5 to 7 miles at a good pace. So, my exercise routine hasn't changed much, but my daily relaxed routine has changed.

Best Answer
I suggest more rest, read a book, clear your mind, stress is a killer. As a retired magistrate, i understand your stress.
Best Answer
0 Votes
It's fascinating to watch mine has gone from 70 to 54 in 2 weeks after a change in diet... Bizarre
Best Answer

No way to delete a post on fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lukedga wrote:

I've read lowering your resting heart rate can be a good indication of improved fitness. I just wondered how quickly people started noticing a dip in their own. I received a FitBit this past Christmas and my resting heart rate has decreased several points since then. Specifically, after this past week of really ramping up activity, it has dropped from 64 bpm to 59. I've seen it get as low as 49 when sitting still.

I was running long distances before a leg injury and am working my way back to that level of fitness. I wasn't keeping tabs on my heart rate back then, so I'm not sure how to draw any conclusions from my decline/improvement now. I realize a wrist-mounted fitness tracker isn't a failsafe way to keep tabs on heart rate, but a decline is a decline.

Any other similar experiences?

My resting heart rate used to be in the high 80's. I was obese and so out of shape I could barely walk a mile at a slow pace, and then had to lay down after.

I started doing cardio (mainly power walking), and now my resting heart rate is in the low 60's. This is over about a year and a half period.

In that time I have lost over 55 lbs., and now I can power walk up to 10 miles at up to a 4.5 mph pace on hilly trails. I now have trouble getting my heart rate into the cardio zone just from power walking (which is another indication of increased fitness level), so I have been adding jog intervals to my power walks, and use "just power walking" for recovery sessions.

Best Answer
That is awesome!! Congratulations!
Best Answer

That is great, @bcalvanese!  Since I started exercising on a daily basis, my resting heart rate dropped into the low 50's and has stayed there, and I feel so good.  Keep up the great work!

Best Answer

@bcalvanese - I'm getting to the same situation as you are.  I need to do more to burn the same amount of calories as I lose weight.  LOL - although overall, not a bad problem to have.  I haven't had to start jogging yet which is good as I don't think my knees would take it.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

@A_Lurker wrote:

@bcalvanese - I'm getting to the same situation as you are.  I need to do more to burn the same amount of calories as I lose weight.  LOL - although overall, not a bad problem to have.  I haven't had to start jogging yet which is good as I don't think my knees would take it.

I didnt think my knees/hips could take it either, and when I first tried to run I hurt one of my knees because I just tried running right off the bat instead of slow jogging. I had to do my power walks for a month with a limp...LOL

@shipo gave me some good pointers.

He said start off doing intervals at a very slow jog (like not much faster than my walking pace). I have been doing that, and have not hurt myself yet. I can jog a little over a mile non stop so far, and when I started i could only jog for about 30 seconds.

Best Answer

Yeah I definitely noticed a decline. I bought my Fitbit about a month ago and it's gone from 68 to 55, although it's been at 58-59 the last couple of days because my mom came to visit and she's very stressful to be around. You really do notice feeling better too...don't get winded going up a few flights of stairs anymore!

Best Answer

I realize this is an older post, but wanted to share my results.  I have been curious if this is typical.

I bought my FitBit Charge 2 almost a week ago and at the same time began going to the gym and running on the treadmill.  

My resting heart rate history over this week has been - 64, 58, 53, 53, 52, 52.  It started at 64 BPM and is now 52 BPM.  I am a 43 year old male.  Should I see this improvement, this quickly?  I do realize for my age, 64 BPM is still good.

Thank you for any response.

Best Answer