Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance difference between Versa 2 and Charge 3

I have a charge 3. My daughter has a versa 2. When we do a walk together she has a covered distance that is about 20% more than mine, I think hers is closer to the actual covered distance. Graphs in the app show the exact same route. Can anyone explain these differences, or has a solution to fix the wrong distance ?

charge3 (left) vs versa2 (right)charge3 (left) vs versa2 (right)

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

I'd warrant either the GPS sensor ability is off between models.

Or like models of old, when you are walking the GPS is used to place a line on the map, but the distance is still obtained from your stride length.

I'd bet raw GPS data of your line would show it not even on the street/trail/sidewalk it shows on now, and it would be moving around like you had both been drinking prior to the walk.

Why - because GPS can drop out, get pretty inaccurate depending on ability to see GPS, ect.

But stride length, if impacts are seen correctly and stride length setting is right - can be very accurate.

For instance if one of you was pushing a stroller with wrist Fitbit - I'd bet so few steps would even be seen the distance would be terrible. I wonder if the newer units would switch to GPS distance in that case knowing the step impacts must be wrong?

But in grocery store pushing a cart and no steps showing up - that won't GPS distance wouldn't work either.

That's why Garmin has an optional foot pod that can be used, faster response to changes in pace, and accuracy when it's known GPS could be a problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes