Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to run to be fit?

About 3 years ago, I started the couch to 5k program and completed it, and then progressed to easily running 5k around 3 times a week, and even managed a couple of 10k charity runs.  But I since moved to a small village, where running at night is so boring, because it's the same loop over and over again - and it's very dark, eventhough I'm all lit up.  And now, because I've not been commited to running, I have lost all progress.  I find it very hard to run even 20 minutes without feeling really uncomfortable.

I try treadmill running, but find that dull.  But I've got into classes - I love body combat, and pilates.  

I could restart the couch to 5k program at around week 4, where I can manage the runs and have a sense of accomplishment, but then as it's on a treadmill, I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it.  And you have to enjoy what you do...

But can you still be fit by doing other things - if I traded running for something like zumba, which I think would be good fun!  I just have it in my head that to be fit, you need to run, but I'm hoping that's not true!

Best Answer
163 REPLIES 163

Cool; a few questions:

• What are you currently capable of in a 5K event?
  • How many miles per week are you currently running?
  • How many hours per week can you budget for training?
  • What kind of surfaces do you have in your area to train on, or do you train on a treadmill?
  • Are there a lot of hills in your area?
Best Answer
0 Votes

• What are you currently capable of in a 5K event? - 35 minutes (awful!!!) I did get it down to 29 minutes but then lack of practise saw an end to that pretty quickly.
  • How many miles per week are you currently running? - not sure of miles, but around 5k a time, so 15k a week.
  • How many hours per week can you budget for training? - I can spare 1 hour a day for exercise, whether that's a gym class, weights or running.
  • What kind of surfaces do you have in your area to train on, or do you train on a treadmill? - I live by the sea, it's on the pavement (side walk) but it's on a slight hill (going down one way, up to come home, which sucks).  Because it can get very cold, dark and windy here, I often end up running on a treadmill twice a week.  I set it to a 1% incline, but always feel that the treadmill is carrying me - find it very hard to judge what speed to set it at or how to vary it.  It ends up feeling monotonous and dull.
  • Are there a lot of hills in your area? - yes, I live in North Yorkshire, lots and lots of hills but I avoid running up them Smiley LOL
Best Answer
0 Votes

@blondie3384, cool; here's what I'd recommend and why:

The "Why" first:

I have had great success with relative beginning runners in safely getting their 5K times under 30 minutes, often way under.  I coach to what I call a Modified LSD (Long Slow Distance) plan; basically until a runner is able to consistently run a 10K in under an hour, then the training I coach to consists of slowing their pace down and extending the distance.

What the LSD approach does is to allow the runner's body to gradually develop without injury.  The thing is, the cardio-pulmonary and muscular systems develop fairly rapidly, however, in comparison, the skeletal, joint, and connective tissue systems develop at a nearly glacial pace.  Many beginning runners finish say the C25K program (Couch to 5K), and then immediately embark upon a speed drill and/or interval drill type of program, and next thing they know, they've got shin splints, knee/hip/ankle/back pain, and/or tendinitis.

Now the "What":

For starters, simply run slowly, starting with your current 5K distance, and hopefully given the slow pace, you'll be able to manage six or even seven kilometers.  Use the rest of the hour to alternate between a walk and a slow jog.

After only a few runs it will be very likely you'll be able to jog the entire hour, and once there, stay with the one hour duration; what you'll notice is you'll naturally pick up your pace and complete more distance within the time limit.  The is also a very good chance you'll notice as you approach the end of your run you'll feel you have a little left in the tank and naturally want to pick the pace up even further for say the last half kilometer or so.

Obviously I haven't had a chance to run with you one-on-one so this next bit is speculation, but of the 35 minute 5K runners I've coached over the years, most of them, if they can do the above say three to four times per week, will start finishing ten kilometers within an hour within three to four months, often sooner.

You'll have to trust me on this, if you're able to run a 10K in an hour for a training run, you'll most likely be able to run a 5K in under 25 minutes.  🙂

Next step:

Once you're consistently able to hit that magic 10K/hour threshold, you've built enough of a mileage base to start working on speed a bit (but not yet ready for intervals and other speed drills).  At this point you'll be ready to split your runs; every other run day (call these the "odd days"), go for an hour and start consciously speeding things up for the last half kilometer, then the last kilometer, then the last two.  For the "even days", extend your runs by adding say ten minutes or a couple of kilometers to the overall run, say every other week.

Wrap-up:

The above recommendations should last you at least six to nine months during which time you will be able to put in roughly one-thousand kilometers of running.  At that point you should have strengthened your connective tissue, toughened up/grown your joints, and caused your bones to increase their density; all of which should allow you to safely start speed drills or intervals or ladders or fartleks as you desire.  🙂

Keep us posted.

Best Answer

Hopefully this will help you, I hope it will.

many people run for many reasons, 

• they enjoy it
  • they think it keep saying them fit and healthy
  • people do it with friends for fun

those are just a few reasons why people do running. I’m not a fan of running although I have done it a few times in the past. To keep fit you can do anything, walking round the block, jogging, trampolining,yoga,Zumba,dance,gymnastics. There are many more things you can do. Running is a popular option, but it won’t impact your whole life if you don’t do it. Get inspired by looking up sporting activities. You could just work out at home or the gym, not really having a particular thing you do to keep fit. You can stay at home and do your own kind of thing! e.g. exercises at home, watching videos and doing as instructed. 

I would recommend something though, Fitbit coach app. It Is very helpfull. There are many different videos of how to keep fit. You don’t need to be sporty and be part of teams so to be fit! Make up you’re own things! Don’t forget to keep hydrated Andy stretch often! I hope this helps! 

Izzy

Best Answer
Izzy: I agree you don't have to run to be fit. Running is not for
everyone, but it is the most effective and cheapest method to gain
fitness. All you need is a good pair of running shoes and some place to
run. No gym fees, no driving to and from the gym, just walk out your door
and run. Now that I'm no longer running I just go down into my basement
and use my own equipment, rower, stationary bike or elliptical and some
free weights. I must admit I still miss those early morning runs. Also
research has shown there is no correlation between running and increased
incidence of OA of hips and knees.
Best Answer

I have a treadmill in the garage, I run 5k - 10k a few times a week on it, the soulution to the boredom for me was to get an old TV set up in front of the treadmill, tie in running with something I like on tv and it’s unbelievable how the time flies, by the end of your favourite 30 min show you’ve done 5k before you know it 

Best Answer

@matt_rfc wrote:

I have a treadmill in the garage, I run 5k - 10k a few times a week on it, the soulution to the boredom for me was to get an old TV set up in front of the treadmill, tie in running with something I like on tv and it’s unbelievable how the time flies, by the end of your favourite 30 min show you’ve done 5k before you know it 

Being on a treadmill for an hour is boring but what keeps me engaged is the varying speed of the motor based on one's heart rate. A chest strap heart rate monitor linked to the treadmill computer keeps me focused on whether I walk as slow as 4.4km/h or run to as fast as 9.2km/h. It's similar to those 1-1, 1-2 or 1-3 rest-run interval programs available on the treadmill computer.

Best Answer

I see this post is old, but I thought it might be worth suggesting for you to try weight training. I know women don't normally think to do that as a form of exercise but it is really my preferred workout. My mom did it for 20 years, now now I do too. It has fantastic benefits, and no - you won't look manly (not unless you're taking sterroids and suddenly decide to eat about 3k calories a day, haha). That's actually why I first go the Fitbit. I liked the fact that I could track my weight training workouts on the watch as well as my steps. Just an alternative, but I highly recommend it. Best of luck! 🙂

Best Answer

There are many ways to get fit. You don't need to run to be in shape. You can just do whatever you like. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seems you are making excuses. Boring isnt an excuse not to do it. I do 40 to 60 minutes 6 times a week on my bike in the basement. Yes, its boring but you're an adult and you can get over it.

Anything is good for fitness if it keeps you moving. The big advantage of running, cycling, swimming over something like Zumba is that Zumba isnt a sport. With cycling you can keep progress, you have real numbers you can track. That is extremely motivating and keeps you involved over a long term. Zumba is a fad you will probably tire of and get bored with quickly because how do you measure progress in Zumba? Use Zumba to help you improve your running or cycling.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am making the following assumptions. You are asking about people who regularly run at least a couple of miles in a structured way. Most people who start distance running in adulthood do it to lose weight or less commonly to maintain their current weight. Others run to gain a level of fitness either for its own sake or to improve at some sport. Many team sports like soccer, football, basketball, baseball include a substantial amount of running. Distance running is a very good way to lose weight because it burns a substantial amount of calories and works especially well when combined with appropriate eating. There are many running sites with before and after pictures of runners.So running has an element if competing if only with yourself but mostly people run to be with others, become fit, lose weight and gain a sense of accomplishment.

Best Answer

Running is a popular and effective aerobic exercise that people undertake to be in good shape. Exactly how much you should run depends on a person's physical fitness. But running is not the sole thing that will keep you in shape. There are other things as well. Eventually it is about you feeling healthy physically and mentally

Best Answer

Do you have any idea beside of running? I am just thinking about to play with the skipping rope. My biggest concern is the belly area, yes i can still see my feet when i look down, but the thing is, my belly is just look like a 4-5 month of pregnant woman.

I read about the crossfit, but i do not know, maybe as newbie, i just need to start the small step first before pushing my heart for any extensive activity

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Baldan, before you attempt crossfit, I would suggest you look into traditional weight lifting. Maybe look into hiring a trainer to show you the basics if you're not familiar with it. Running, while an exceptional aerobic workout, can be damaging to your knees and joints, as can crossfit (especially if you're not an advanced lifter already). Plus, weight lifting is an excellent way to build muscle and reduce bodyfat. Plus it's fun (at least to me it is). It doesn't matter if you're young or old, male or female. It's an all around great workout. And since women traditionally have a harder time putting on a ton of muscle mass it's not something they really have to worry about becoming too bulky with. In lieu of hiring a trainer, there are a ton of "How To" videos on the internet, particularly YouTube and Instagram. I hope that helps and best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Best Answer
I have not done CrossFit. It looks appealing to an exercise fanatic, on the
extreme side of fitness training. I think one would need it if you want to
push your normal gym routines to a more challenging level.
Best Answer
0 Votes
One question you have to answer is what kinds of physical activity do you
enjoy? Also, you don't have to kill yourself starting out. Take it slow
but be steady in pursuit of your goal. There are many, many fitness
goals. Here are a few: strength, endurance/ stamina,
flexibility, movement, balance, agility, and I would add "repair of
weaknesses." Of course, overall conditioning will include elements of all
of these. Running is of course a great way of developing endurance and
stamina. But you may not be able to run just yet.and you may have injuries
that make this undesirable. This morning I took a four mile walk in a
rolling hill area. Yesterday I took a three mile hike up a small mountain.
These walks and hikes are not running but they help my cardio vascular
fitness. I move and on hikes I move around alot of obstacles (agility).
Plus I am in nature which I like, and I am moving at a speed where I can
notice what is around me.And I am burning a ton of calories. Right now,
I'm off to the weight room (muscular strength) after I do a brief Tai Chi
workout for a warm up. (coordinated movement - more difficult in some ways
than the weights). Best to you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can go to the gym and lift weights and still be fit or to sports wth little to no running like biking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree that lifting weights and biking are very strong fitness activities.
But I also think there are multiple activities, like eating properly and
stretching, that are involved in well-rounded fitness.
Best Answer
0 Votes

IMO, you don't have to run to be fit.  Walking for 30 minutes or more each day, stretching,  and eating a plant based diet have replaced running for me.  Also, believe walking reduces injury risks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I am the same way. I use to run 5 miles everyday from 4am-5:30am, up in till my running partner was in horrible car accident that put her in a wheel chair,I haven't ran 5 miles in over 5 months. Now, when i get a chance to run, is like I can't even run 2 miles straight. But, Im not a quitter and I don't give up easily. I have been coming to work everyday an hour early for a power walk and at times a light jog. Unfortunately, I'm a secretary at a elementary school and they dont have showers. I have a gym member ship but its not the same running on the treadmill than running at the track or park. I enjoy walking or jogging outdoors, I hate going to the GYM..lol!

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes