Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think that the step count is accurate on Fitbit?

ANSWERED

Some people say that if u just move your arm up and down, the fitbit would start to count steps. Do you guys think that?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think this is true but the point is: do we want to make steps to get fit ot just to reach a daily number of steps with no effort? Cheating will only harm ourselves, but I'm sure that's not the purpose of your question, although I wanted to make it clear for people who might get it wrong. That said, there will be fake steps counted by the device because of our normal arms movements when we're not walking, but how many will they be compared to the real ones? My suggestion is to make plenty true steps over your daily goal, so you won't be left wondering if you have reached it in reality. Smiley Wink

Charge 2

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

I think this is true but the point is: do we want to make steps to get fit ot just to reach a daily number of steps with no effort? Cheating will only harm ourselves, but I'm sure that's not the purpose of your question, although I wanted to make it clear for people who might get it wrong. That said, there will be fake steps counted by the device because of our normal arms movements when we're not walking, but how many will they be compared to the real ones? My suggestion is to make plenty true steps over your daily goal, so you won't be left wondering if you have reached it in reality. Smiley Wink

Charge 2
Best Answer

@KF_Ryan360 wrote:

Some people say that if u just move your arm up and down, the fitbit would start to count steps. Do you guys think that?

That depends on which tracker you are using, @KF_Ryan360.  If it is a wrist-worn tracker, such as the Charge 2, Blaze, etc., yes swinging your arm will record steps.  If it is a body-worn tracker, such as the One, it will not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, swinging your arms will generate steps, but to what point?  I wear mine 24/7 and I know I pick up some arm movements while taking a shower.  However, the point is to compare your steps yesterday to the ones today.  To give yourself an idea of if you're becoming less active or more active overall.  To see if the weekends bring more activity or less.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

@Ton wrote:

My suggestion is to make plenty true steps over your daily goal, so you won't be left wondering if you have reached it in reality. Smiley Wink

Yes, people should spend more time actually stepping and less time wondering whether their tracker is 100% accurate. It is not, but even if it underestimates or overestimates your "real" step count, it will do so in a consistent manner, and therefore will still be useful as a motivational tool.

Regarding challenges: I could "cheat" by merely using the Charge 2 (instead of the Surge) as my main tracker. This is because I’m wearing both and my Charge 2 consistently credits me with more steps than my Surge.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

That is true.

Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks for that.  i had been wearing it and was frustrated because i would wake up and would already have 300 steps, which clearly was not true.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@green_tea wrote:

thanks for that.  i had been wearing it and was frustrated because i would wake up and would already have 300 steps, which clearly was not true.  🙂

Well, I think 300 is not normal while sleeping (unless you consistantly dream of being a boxer! LOL). I would contact the customer service if I were you.

Charge 2
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ton wrote:

Well, I think 300 is not normal while sleeping (unless you consistantly dream of being a boxer! LOL). I would contact the customer service if I were you.

I don't know what is normal.  Some mornings my Charge 2 shows 50 or 60 steps when I get up, and some mornings it shows 250 steps when I get up. One morning it show 398 steps when I got up, but that is another story.  It all depends on how restless I am when "sleeping".  And, then, there are trips to the bathroom at night.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ton wrote:

Well, I think 300 is not normal while sleeping

Funny: while some people are complaining about extraneous steps during their sleep, I’m "complaining" about time spent at the movie theater being falsely detected as sleep Smiley LOL.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

yes its true... my gf noticed it on her new charge2 on the 2nd day she had it so i tested sitting at my desk by just turning my wrist and YES it counted steps... FITBIT needs to get this corrected, its so mislieading.

Best Answer

@rocketroddy wrote:

yes its true... my gf noticed it on her new charge2 on the 2nd day she had it so i tested sitting at my desk by just turning my wrist and YES it counted steps... FITBIT needs to get this corrected, its so mislieading.

Hi there. I think this problem has been debated already on this very page. Have a look at the replies from USAF-Larry, A_Lurker, Dominique and myself a few posts back. The arm movements will always affect the step count. It all depends on what you expect from your tracker. For me it still is a big stimulus to keep me active every day. As I already said, I pay attention to keep the total daily count above what I aim to make in reality and I'm happy with that. Man Happy

Charge 2
Best Answer
0 Votes

So disappointed with my fitbit which I received for Xmas.  It counts all my movements even when driving which is very disheartening as I thought I was doing so well averaging over 10k per day but then realised that probably half were done which sitting down in the car or at home.   Surely the point of a step counter is to give an indication of how many steps I actually do.  my mobile step application is far more accurate and I wish now that I hadn't bothered with the fitbit as I need to get fit and this is so false...

Best Answer
0 Votes

So disappointed with my fitbit which I received for Xmas.  It counts all my movements even when driving which is very disheartening as I thought I was doing so well averaging over 10k per day but then realised that probably half were done which sitting down in the car or at home.   Surely the point of a step counter is to give an indication of how many steps I actually do.  my mobile step application is far more accurate and I wish now that I hadn't bothered with the fitbit as I need to get fit and this is so false...

@rocketroddy wrote:

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wearing fitbit as it is intended is actually quite accurate, of course there are those who find ways to cheat, but cheating is a little like taking money from your savings account and depositing it in your checking account and claiming an increase in funds, nothing is gained. The whole point of a Fitbit is to be inspired to step it up and get out and exercise; to gain health and fitness. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I agree about cheating but when it counts the steps when i am driving or working at my desk it seems pointless using it. My mobile phone app was more accurate as I could stop and restart the counter

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My first Fitbit was a One.  I was wearing it clasped to my belt, and it registered my steps quite accurate.  
When I was walking and counted 500 steps, my One would have registered at least 480.

When I got my Alta, I was just curious how they compared, and have been wearing them at the same time for quite some time (each connected to a different account, as not to mix up things while syncing).

Alta's stepcount was always 20% lower than the number my One showed.

When I wake up at night, and go to the bathroom, or even to the ground floor of my house and walk around there, my Alta often registers only a few steps, although there were at least 50, or even 100 and more... I have a very light step, and at night I'm even walking more softly, not to wake up my family.

The Charge2 I recently acquired, underestimates my stepcount in the same range...

I don't mind... My goal is 8,000 Fitbit steps, and that's probably 10,000 real steps.  And when I get 10,000 steps, I'm sure that's a healthy amount...

Arm movements? I have to make really, really brisk movements to make a real difference.  Working at my desk doesn't add a single step.  Doing the dishes? Some steps indeed, but my energy expenditure is higher because I'm standing, so no problem.

A few days ago, I was working in the garden (pollarding willows, sawing branches more than wrist-thick with a handsaw), and then quite some steps were added... But with my heartrate at 'cardio' level, I didn't consider that a problem either!

Ann... Belgium
Fitbit One (retired), Alta, Alta HR, Charge2 - Android app, Mac OS, Windows 10
Best Answer

I am a knitter/spinner/weaver. The fitbit counts a great deal of that arm movement as steps and yet if I am carrying something while I walk (no arm movement) those steps do not count.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I heard that too, that walking while carrying something doesn't record, because of the lack of arm movement. Not with me. My longer walks on workdays happen while carrying my stuff in a bag, and every step is counted. 

Probably it all depends on someone's walking style... 

Ann... Belgium
Fitbit One (retired), Alta, Alta HR, Charge2 - Android app, Mac OS, Windows 10
Best Answer

I have determined wearing it on my ankle is much more accurate. I found an extender band on eBay for a few dollars. BUT, I only do this when I know I will be extremely busy with my hands etc., Either way, that's OK because I know when I am doing something semi-active, ya know? Otherwise, I don't worry about a few extra steps counted as I cook a meal or type etc. As far as waking up with 300 or 400 steps counted, you must be a very active sleeper. That's exercise, right? LOL. I usually only have about 20 or 30 steps counted at most. If you are not an active sleeper, I agree with some of the other posters in that you should contact Fitbit about it.

I think if you are looking for 100% accuracy, you will never find it in any of the trackers. Just keep an open mind about it and let it motivate you to take those steps each day even if a 100+ of them are from you swinging your arm! Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes