Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb question about the activity mode

Sorry this is more than likely a dumb question....I used the activity mode this afternoon at lunch, when I went out to run (walking) some errands.  I got back to the office to eat and forgot to shut off the activity mode off, I know I was out and about for 30mins, do it keep running even when I'm not actually being active?  It says I burned 212 calories, but is part of those calories from when I was sitting and eating?  I hope this makes sense.  Thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

When activity mode is still running while eating,.. the calories burned when eating.. are included in the activity.

Activity mode keeps running until it's stopped manually.

Best Answer
0 Votes

yep, what mystique said. sitting and eating is part of your total calories burned. I often forget to turn mine off too so it looks like I did more.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@emili wrote:

yep, what mystique said. sitting and eating is part of your total calories burned. I often forget to turn mine off too so it looks like I did more.

@emili One of the important measures that Fitbit down't seem to mention is your 24 hour activity factor. We can see the status on our Calorie Burned Goal, but what does this really mean ?

If you divide your BMR into your actual Daily Calories Burned you will get a factor which you can compare with the text below.  Mine is currently 1.55, and when I first started with Fitbit I was achieving 1.70, each year since it has gradually dropped, but when I'm back to my 10,000 steps/day I hit 1.65 and gardening - heavy 1.80

If you don't know your BMR you can use this calculator which uses the same equations that Fitbit use.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Factors..

Sedentary.  Little to no regular exercise. (factor 1.2)

Mild activity level: Intensive exercise for at least 20 minutes 1 to 3 times per week. This may include such things as bicycling, jogging, basketball, swimming, skating, etc.  If you do not exercise regularly, but you maintain a busy life style that requires you to walk frequently for long periods, you meet the requirements of this level.  (factor 1.375)

Moderate activity level: Intensive exercise for at least 30 to 60 minutes 3 to 4 times per week. Any of the activities listed above will qualify.    (factor 1.55)

Heavy or (Labor-intensive) activity level: Intensive exercise for 60 minutes or greater 5 to 7 days per week (see sample activities above).  Labor-intensive occupations also qualify for this level.  Labor-intensive occupations include construction work (brick laying, carpentry, general labor, etc.). Also farming, landscape worker or similar occupations.     (factor 1.7)

Extreme level: Exceedingly active and/or very demanding activities:  Examples include:  (1) athlete with an almost unstoppable training schedule with multiple training sessions throughout the day  (2) very demanding job, such as shoveling coal or working long hours on an assembly line. Generally, this level of activity is very difficult to achieve.  (factor 1.9)

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

hi @Colinm39- yep very familiar with what you write about. I was commenting on a particular feature that the HR has. Thanks so much for the detailed breakdown. I think this is extremely helpful to those who do not know how to find their BMR. I would encourage you to copy and past this into a new discussion to help folks out. Rock on!!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili wrote:

hi @Colinm39- yep very familiar with what you write about. I was commenting on a particular feature that the HR has. Thanks so much for the detailed breakdown. I think this is extremely helpful to those who do not know how to find their BMR. I would encourage you to copy and past this into a new discussion to help folks out. Rock on!!

@emili Thanks for getting back, I apologise because I interpretted your post as you may have been concerned about losing the real effort numbers. But others will gain because I had already posted this in another area to answer, " What should my calories burned goal be ?".

Have a great time

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer