Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethics in the Social media

I was a little concerned when I read on the FitBit web site about pain complaints associated with wearing a Fitbit, but when I saw numerous complaints on the internet I was appalled, which is the reason behind this post.  Last night on a cable news program( not fox) 2 men were interviewed about conspiracy theories in America's politics, which I won't go into, but can relate to the theories concerning the wearing of a FitBit.  One man was the design Ethicist  for a social media company.  He made 2 points.  One, conspiracy theories grabs people's attention. Two, if these theories keep trending they soon become the truth.  The second gentleman was affiliated with Truth in Social Media.  When he was asked how to combat these conspiracy theories, his solution was to educate the people.  The last month or so this has been my goal, but it seems I'm the lone voice in the dark wilderness trying to bring light to the truth.  There only evidence that these pain complaints are related to wearing a FitBit is anecdotal not backed up by Science, or the Scientific Method. If these complaints continue to become viral I'm afraid they will end up on other social media sites and measurably affect the Fitbit company.  I read than in 2016 Fitbit's stock price fell over 20%.  In 1985 owners of Audi's complained of unexplained rapid acceleration resulting in drivers injuries.  Audi sales in America fell from 74,000 to 12,000 and resale values dropped dramatically.  The NHTSA investigated driver complaints and found that vast majority of these unexplained rapid acceleration incidents were caused by driver error, also found Audi not liable for any of the injuries.  Audi America sales did not reach 1985 levels until the year 2000.  Conspiracy theories that start to trend become true without scientific evidence to back them up.  I ask where are the hundred of thousand Fitbit uses that have experienced no pain complaints, why are you silent?  What are you afraid of?  Am I to be the lone voice in the wilderness forever? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

My feeling is you are clogging up this forum with off topic political posts. This is the forum for workouts. Please consider good citizenship when posting.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

One characteristic of trolls is they start another message with each post. 

Best Answer

Corney

... there are no ethics on or in social media, never were never will be it'seems about the money 

... there is no place for politics of any sort here ...NONE

... fitbit's drop in value may be do to a lot of things such as pricing, competition, customer support as well as product quality 

Yes I probably just fed the troll, sorry about that 

Best Answer
Don't read it! I feel the same way about 50-80K steppers, I don't read it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Corney ... then how is it that you respond to something you say you do not read  ???

Best Answer

@Corney you post about this topic over and over again. You engage folks in debates, you offend people.. you ask why people are silent.. it is because they don't want to get into a discussion with you. No good can come from it. Fitbit is a big enough corporation, filled with skilled smart people in all aspects of running a business. Let them worry about PR, ethics, stock price and what it means for the future of trackers. Let us the community, talk about things that matter to the people who enjoy their trackers, who enjoy exchanging ideas, who enjoy encouraging others. I want to think that you are acting in the best interest of the community.. participate in discussions in a kind and meaningful way.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
Russs, What did I say I did not read?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Corney ... sorry,  I was thinking of several other posts from you in the recent past (on other boards) ... not worth discussing in any event 

Best Answer
0 Votes