Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely weak core- advice?

Hi there,

I have an extremely weak core, to the point where I can't really do sit-ups and can't plank for longer than about 20 seconds. I find when doing ab workouts, I use my neck or lower back even in the smallest of movements because my core is so weak. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me? Workouts I could do at beginner level to gradually improve my core strength. How often should I do core workouts?

Thanks!

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hi @starley1234,

I think the key is to gradually increase the workload until you strengthen the core.

Do 15 seconds of planks, then add a round until you're doing 5 sets of 15 seconds. Then go to  3 sets at 17 seconds, and add sets/seconds as you're able.

Farmer's Walk, sometimes called Suitcase Carry, is also a good core strengthener. You can gradually add weight or distance.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

you can also do leg lifts instead of sit up. they will lesson the tension on your neck. your core is responsible for keeping you upright, stable and supports all your activities. If you do any kind of strength training, your core will be engaged and will strengthen over time. Not to say you shouldn't do abdominal exercises, but you aren't limited to them. If you are doing lifts or pull down or kettle bell activities, engage your core while you are doing it. It kind of feels like you are sucking in your belly, but not to that extreme. you are voluntarily clenching your muscles. I also find that wearing a weighted vest while doing any activity helps with strength.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

My first rule of resistance training: If it hurts, stop. 

@emili, good suggestion on the leg lifts. 

Keep in mind, the abs will be automatically involved in any lifting exercise done with the upper body.

If it's comfortable for you, you can do sit-ups or crunches while laying on carpeted stairs with your feet on the floor. After you can do maybe 10 this way, try moving to the floor. After you can do one on the floor, progress comes quickly even one set every day. 

Instead of clasping your head, try making fists and hold them next to your ears. I tend to have them about a foot in front of my ears.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@starley1234wrote:

Hi there,

I have an extremely weak core, to the point where I can't really do sit-ups and can't plank for longer than about 20 seconds. I find when doing ab workouts, I use my neck or lower back even in the smallest of movements because my core is so weak. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me? Workouts I could do at beginner level to gradually improve my core strength. How often should I do core workouts?

Thanks!

At home or in a gym?

Most of what has been suggested is good.  

I would also suggest compound weight movements, especially the Olympic Lifts,  that work more than one muscle type tend to engage your core as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would not recommend situps or crunches for @starley1234.  She's already expressed concerns about using proper form, and I feel both of those exercises can be harmful when not performed strictly.  They have a pretty high risk-to-reward ratio, when compared to leg raises or planks.

Any kind of barbell lifting will strengthen the core, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that here either.  Especially Olympic lifts, take years to learn correctly, require coaching, and need a high degree of skill, training, and flexibility. I love them, but it doesn't seem worth all that effort just to strengthen the core? Barbell squats or deadlifts would be easier to learn, but even those are a lot of work to pick up if one isn't primarily looking for overall strength.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your core plays a supporting role in just about every athletic activity. For people in your situation, I suggest starting with good-form crunches and flutter kicks to start with. Adding highly dynamic activities such as hard sprints and yoga will make a world of difference. Lastly, don't skimp on the protein; it's essential to gaining strength. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@starley1234 leg lifts are OK as long as you maintain your Lumbar Lordosis( the normal hollow in the lumbar region)  if you can't maintain your lordosis all you are doing is strengthening hip Flexors.  You can try doing sit ups on a Swiss ball, which is easier than doing them on the floor.  When doing sit ups never have anyone hold your feet, or put them under a piece of furniture, this will only strengthen hip Flexors.  Start doing what you can do and gradually increase time or reps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@starley1234  Please forgive my last post concerning maintaining your lumbar Lordosis while doing sit ups.  I was wrong, when doing sit ups on the floor you should make sure your lower back stays flat on the floor.  Abdominals pull the pelvis into an Anterior tilt thus keeping the low back flat on the floor, if you lose this anterior tilt you will not strengthen Abdominals but actually stretch them, making them somewhat weaker.  Everything else in my previous post was correct.  Sorry my CRS was kicking in.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are standing core workouts you can try that might help strengthen your core.  Try this: https://greatist.com/move/standing-abs-workout?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=huffingtonpost&utm_cam...

Lucy Wyndham-Read has walking/toning exercise videos that incorporate some ab work.Look for the all standing workouts.

When you're doing floor exercises, don't feel you need to lift your head and neck. If it's not comfortable for you, don't do it. I often keep my head down when I'm doing ab work.

Some lying down work you can do: When you're in bed as you're trying to get to sleep, take a deep breath, and when you exhale, sink your abdomen and ribs as low as you can. Do that about ten times every night. It's something I do in my Pilates reformer classes.

Best Answer

Focus on your form, try not to go for a number of reps and take it slow. When doing sit-ups or crunches focus on keeping your neck straight by laying flat on your back in starting position and notice where your eyes are focused. Keep your eyes at this position when you move through your exercise (don't bend your neck so that your eyes look straight in front of your or down at your body). Focus on keeping your abs tightened so that your lower back is pressed to the floor and just do as many reps as you can while trying to keep proper form.

I find that low planks are more difficult than high. Not sure which you are doing but I would recommend to start with high planks (full push-up position). In high plank, make sure your shoulders are pulled away from your ears and that you're not rounding your upper back. Tighten your core to keep from dropping and if possible, plank sideways to see your form in the mirror. Also, if you push back toward your feet you should feel it more in your abs.

I hope this all makes sense! I would also recommend you try crunches and sit-ups on a yoga ball or bosu ball. I always feel them more in my abs and they don't bother my back as much as the floor. The leg lifts suggestion is awesome as well! For that, focus on keeping your back pressed to the floor and don't bounce your feet at the bottom to use momentum to pull them back up. Go slow and lower your feet back down as low as you can toward the floor without arching your back. I would also recommend working on your back strength, you can do supermans or bridges which are my favorites. You want your strength to be even on both sides. Good luck!! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes