Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabulous February Fourteen Challenge — 2018

ANSWERED

Fabulous February Fourteen Challenge

Time for a new monthly challenge and this one has got a spin ...

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though we tend to track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

The Fabulous February Fourteen Variation.

Shoutout to @Jotex for this February variation. Since there are 28 days in February and some folks burn out thinking about hitting goals EVERY SINGLE DAY, for February if you meet your stated daily goal for at least 14 days you have met that goal for the month. Anything more is bonus. You can do the first 14 days, the last 14 days, every other day, two on two off .... (if you have a daily sleep goal I guess you could meet it by sleeping every other day, but that is probably not the smartest idea you’ve ever had).

Valentines (February 14) bonus.

If you double a daily goal on February 14 (20K steps instead of your normal 10K, for example), or if you get your sweetie to match your daily goal on that day, you can count it as two days toward the 14 days needed to meet your monthly minimum for that goal.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Note. Since the idea of the February variation is to have some goals but also to avoid burnout, If you have a goal that is not typically a daily goal for you, such as two or three strength training workouts a week, and the monthly total is not usually higher than 14, just do the number you normally would.

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
130 REPLIES 130

13K steps/day 7/28

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 7/28

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 7/28

12 weight lifting days 4/12

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 4/28

My first 3 are automatic Have been for about 6 months or more

Other 2 I want to make permanent. I'm pretty sure I wont need this next month. It becoming a habit for me and that's what I needed. Thanks @Baltoscott

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

OMG @RosieO

Gald you got it fixed. Cars are such a hassle

Community Council Member

Best Answer

please delete

Best Answer

8 February

Steps                6/14

Plank                7/14

Swim                3/8

Coach/Bike      3/8

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

7 Feb

25,000 steps 28 times: 7/28

80 minutes of resistance training 28 times:5/28

Average calories burned/day: 3,750: 7/28

I'm having trouble making time for the resistance training. Need some new habits.

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

7 Feb

I'm having trouble making time for the resistance training. Need some new habits.

Maybe you are doing it too much?  If you are trying to build muscle, as opposed to just burning calories, through resistance training, you need to progressively increase the weight you move from session to session and give muscle groups rest (typically 48 hours or more) between workouts.  I go three days for a total of 3 or 4 hours.  A lot of muscle-heads prefer 5 days/week but maybe less time in each session and different muscle groups on the five days so they are not working the same muscles every day.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Feb. 8
15K steps/day: 8/14
1 pushup/day 8/14.
1 pullup/day 8/14
8 weight-lifting days: 2/8

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Late joiner here.  New to Fitbit, have had it 6 days now and really only used it a few days so far.  Working on mobility/health issues, so this challenge is an easy and motivating start. 

As of February 8

5k steps/day: 3/14

5 flights stairs/day: 2/14

64oz water/day: 3/14

If I can do this for 2 weeks, I will raise steps to 7k and stairs to 6 flights.

Best Answer

Feb 9

13K steps/day 9/28

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 9/28

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 9/28

12 weight lifting days 4/12

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 9/28

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Welcome @ChrissyP Good to have you here!

Community Council Member

Best Answer

wrote:

7 Feb

80 minutes of resistance training 28 times:5/28

Average calories burned/day: 3,750: 7/28

@GershonSurgeI have to agree with @Baltoscott Is it too much? I know for me if I do it to often I lose interest.

I love my top three and do them daily because I enjoy them

The Bottom   two I have a problem with and I dont know why. well I do I dont enjoy them. So I'm trying to make it part of my routine. You need to like what you do.

Maybe I need to find different routines. They should change anyways to make it effective

Community Council Member

Best Answer

But Hang in there @GershonSurge we are here for you! And if we can help just ask!

Community Council Member

Best Answer

@Baltoscott  and @WendyB,

Thanks for the encouragement. It helped a lot. 

I am trying to do a lot, but I'm retired and have the time. Unfortunately, one of my cats likes attention in the morning when I lift, and that takes away about a half hour. I work in the time for lifting during the day. The routine is long, but it works well for me. I know there are better ways, but I don't want to injure something and be forced to skip days. 

Ugh, for some reason, Fitbit didn't log about 1,500 steps yesterday. They were there when I went to bed, but they disappeared. I got over 25,000 on my Zip account, but not in this one. To make things simple, my personal rule is if Fitbit didn't log steps, they don't count. Oh well. I did get the resistance training done.

Feb 8

80 minutes of resistance training 28 times:6/28

Average calories burned/day: 3,750: 8/28

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

Ugh, for some reason, Fitbit didn't log about 1,500 steps yesterday. They were there when I went to bed, but they disappeared. I got over 25,000 on my Zip account, but not in this one. To make things simple, my personal rule is if Fitbit didn't log steps, they don't count. Oh well. I did get the resistance training done.

@GershonSurge - I understand your frustration at your fitbit for not counting everything. Every now and then it happens to me (us?) too. If I’m shy of, say, 200 steps to meet my goal, I make the effort to get them in. But sometimes my fitbit isn’t updating right then; later I usually see I am way over. Today I’ve done 4 floors already (2x 2 floors) but fitbit only counted 1 floor each time = 2. At the end of the day I’ll count the missing ones. But that’s my personal take on it. 

Don’t let it get to you is what I wanted to say. These fitbits are great but not absolutely infallible. By and large, though, I still give mine a 9. 😊

Best Answer

9 February 

Steps                7/14

Plank                8/14

Swim                3/8

Coach/Bike      3/8

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

February 9
8,000+ Steps (10,000+) — 5/14 days
6 Fitbit Floors (12, tho fitbit shows 7) — 5/14 days
1-min. Kettleball workout (10 kg) — 5/14 days

@ChrissyP — welcome! Looks like you’re off to a good start. 

Happy weekend Peeps! 

Best Answer

Not sure how to post in this forum after the first one, so lets try this  😃

February 9

5k steps/day: 4/14

5 flights stairs/day: 3/14  (actually did 20 today!?!)

64oz water/day: 4/14

And thank you for the warm welcomes.  Have a great weekend everyone!!

Best Answer

Feb. 9
15K steps/day: 9/14
1 pushup/day 9/14.
1 pullup/day 9/14
8 weight-lifting days: 3/8

@ChrissyP -- looks like you figured out how to post.  Welcome and keep hitting those goals.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Feb 9

25,000 steps 28 times: 8/28

80 minutes of resistance training 28 times:7/28

Average calories burned/day: 3,750: 9/28

Best Answer

Feb. 10
15K steps/day: 10/14
1 pushup/day 10/14.
1 pullup/day 10/14