Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabulous February Fourteen Challenge — 2018

ANSWERED

Fabulous February Fourteen Challenge

Time for a new monthly challenge and this one has got a spin ...

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though we tend to track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

The Fabulous February Fourteen Variation.

Shoutout to @Jotex for this February variation. Since there are 28 days in February and some folks burn out thinking about hitting goals EVERY SINGLE DAY, for February if you meet your stated daily goal for at least 14 days you have met that goal for the month. Anything more is bonus. You can do the first 14 days, the last 14 days, every other day, two on two off .... (if you have a daily sleep goal I guess you could meet it by sleeping every other day, but that is probably not the smartest idea you’ve ever had).

Valentines (February 14) bonus.

If you double a daily goal on February 14 (20K steps instead of your normal 10K, for example), or if you get your sweetie to match your daily goal on that day, you can count it as two days toward the 14 days needed to meet your monthly minimum for that goal.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Note. Since the idea of the February variation is to have some goals but also to avoid burnout, If you have a goal that is not typically a daily goal for you, such as two or three strength training workouts a week, and the monthly total is not usually higher than 14, just do the number you normally would.

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
130 REPLIES 130

28 February  well met my goals (just squeeked in the last Coach workout lol)

Well done everyone, though I know you all have another day to go yet!

Steps               16/14

Plank                16/14

Swim                7/6

Coach/Bike      6/6

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Feb. 28

15K steps/day: 26/14
1 pushup/day 29/14.
1 pullup/day 29/14
9 weight-lifting days: 10/9

I am finished now too, @NellyG

Ah, February, you truly were fabulous!  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Feb 28

25,000 steps/day - 12-18

I started to develop the first signs of knee problems, so I cut my jogging down to one three mile run/walk a day.

Resistance training (Dumbbells and body exercises) 26/28. After I said I was having trouble sticking to resistance exercises, I don't think I missed a day.

Daily calorie burn - 3600 average daily burn/3399 average daily burn - missed it as a result of cutting back on the steps.

Weight: I'm gradually cutting my weight to about 155. No hurry here. 

Start: 168:6, 18.7% Fat

End: 164.6, 16.9% Fat

The 16.9% is probably a low measurement due to natural variance. My average % fat for the month was 18.0%. 

The high point of the month was I developed a tracking method for weight and lean weight. The chart below is busy, so I'll start another topic in the next couple days. @Baltoscott and @Dominique, I think this method will speed up seeing results for your cut and bulk experiment. 

The right cluster is Feb 17 and the left is Feb 18. The concept is leading to how to increase lean weight while losing weight. (This may not be optimum for those interested in increasing the weight they can lift.)

scatter.JPG

Best Answer

Feb 28

13K steps/day 27/14

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 28/14

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 28/14

12 weight lifting days 12/12

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 28/14

Hope you knee get better fast @GershonSurge

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Sorry I finked out on the last day, but I had fulfilled my Fabulous February Fourteen challenge. 😇 

My goals of doing 14 days of 8,000 steps, despite my take-it-easy-approach, still fetched me a monthly average of 7,188 steps/day. I superseded my goal of 14x 6 Fitbit floors  — despite the fact that my Fitbit did not always count all of them — with 7+ floors/day on average. The 1-minute lifts of 10 kg Kettleball were all met x14. A good month overall.

So, what are we gonna do in March, I wonder?!! 🤔

Best Answer

@Jotexwrote:

So, what are we gonna do in March, I wonder?!! 🤔

I’ll start a March thread later today.  Think I’m going to add a sleep goal!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

The March thread is up.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

OK, I bummed out in February and did not post much. But, I kept walking. 

Monthly step average per DAY: 14,293 includes 2 days over 20,000

Monthly floor average p day: 24 which is below my goal of 30 p/day

Monthly miles average p day: 6.53

The failure to reach floor goal is mostly due to weather which was cold, cool, or rainy or all three. Keeps me from walking up the hills.

Let me know about March, I will be more motivated once the weather turns.

Thanks for all your time on this @Baltoscott

Best Answer
0 Votes

@benvegi -- what?  You don't like climbing icy muddy hills?  Smiley Surprised

I expect there will be less ice in March, but probably as much or more mud.  At least that's how it usually goes in the Baltimore/DC area.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Alas, I did not meet even my modest goals this month.  Too much travelling, too much bad weather, a really bad cold, and too much preparing for my son's wedding in April!  

Not to mention that, for most of the month, I was parted from my little dog (who keeps me going).  She's still not back with me because the weather is too bad to drive to pick her up.  Hoping for better results for March!  Onwards and upwards.  If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...

edited to add: what made me say my son's wedding was November?  The extra time to make the paper flowers for the tables or the flower girl dresses and page boys' waistcoats?  April, Julia, it's April!  Yikes!  Paper crocus count for the day: 14 and still going.  Step count: 675 and better get moving!  Only there is snow, snow, and more snow! And cold... and I would rather just stay indoors, where it isn't warm, but warmer...

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
Heck, even wet icy blacktop with a 20 mph wind is not fun. Will not be
hiking in mud at any temp. Sad to say be we sent you that new storm, not
quite so bad here except for local flooding.
Best Answer