Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Falling resting heart rate?

Hi all, 

I'm on month 6 of using my Fitbit Charge 2 and for the last 5 months I've had a very consistent pattern with my RHR. I'm mid cycle right now and my normal RHR has always been in the mid 70s at this time in the month, however for the past 3 days it just keeps falling and is at 65 today... so the complete opposite to the usual pattern, and 10 beats lower than the last months.

I am overweight but for the past 4 weeks have started an exercise program. I've been doing 20 minutes of cardio kickboxing/10 minute weight training programs 3-4 times a week and my food intake has decreased and become heathier but in that time, I've only lost 2 kilos, so I wouldn't have expected my RHR to be dropping already, especially because I'm not just a little overweight and have many more kilos to go.
I was reading my book this morning and my RHR was at 59...I have never even seen that number before. 

Does anyone have any insight? Is this really because of the exercise? Or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance!
RHRGraph.png

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @RLJ1905 congratulation on your commitment to heathier lifestyle. Lowering your resting heartrate is a benefit of becoming more active and improving your fitness level. How are you feeling? If you are feeling well, getting good sleep, eating well, then continue to watch your heartrate, but there is nothing wrong with a heart rate in the 50s. 

Have a blessed day!

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

My RHR tends to rocket when I’ve been eating sugary foods. I normally try to eat a healthy diet, But whatever other factors come into play (increase in exercise or losing weight. I’m no longer overweight though) it’s always sugar intake that causes spikes. From about 56 to as much as 67. Like at Christmas. As soon as I cut the sugar out,  it only takes a day or two to drop back down. Your improved diet may be doing this. 

Best Answer

Thank you both for your replies!

I feel absolutely fine, no dizziness or faintness, calorie intake is between 1200-1500 per day, I sleep on average 7 hours a night. So I presume it's just due to the change in exercise and diet. I just found it surprising to have it fall so quickly. It fell again this morning to 64bpm. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congrats, your heart is now stronger so doesn't need to work as hard 🙂 

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

@RLJ1905 good for you! Whatever you are doing is working well. Keep in mind that HR is constantly influenced by factors that we control or can't control.. change in weather, change in humidity, if you have a cold or allergies... it is constantly going up and down. If you are trending down that is awesome.. high five yourself and keep doing what you are doing..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

As a 56 year old male I am thrilled to say that my RHR over the past 2 weeks has fallen from 82bpm to 72bpm. That has to be a good sign. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also look at your Cardio Score by swiping RH to LH on your RHR graph on the phone and that should be improving as well.  You are all on the right track. 

You only have to read some of Dr Michael Mosley's books with his simplified exercises, activity and correct diet.  Or, if they come onto your TV network watch the different series.

He put himself through the tests as a guinea pig because his father had type 2 diabetes and Michael himself was borderline type 2 diabetes.  He reversed all of that.

@RLJ1905Also congratulations because you are seeing the effort in the numbers.

@VincenzaDr Mosley had his sugar count spike when he ate sweet things and was partial to chocolate..

I'm watching what I eat again, Smiley Tongueyes, watching others eat as well... and felt the benefits in less than a week.. Thank goodness the festive season has past.  I have lost 4lb (1.8kg) in 5days.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer