Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fasting whilst working out?

ANSWERED

Hiya,

so I have noticed that occasionally in the mornings i get really dizzy, this wasn't something to be really worried about as as soon as i drank some water I would feel a little better.

I am fasting now (Ramadan) and even though I get dizzy sometimes the issue I am having is to work out or not.

Here in the UK the eating window is extremely tight so usually after eating I feel really sleepy. Would you recommend I power through workouts shortly before or after breaking my fast, and also feel free to send me a friend request, would love some healthy competition!

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I would definitely work out after breaking the daily fast. Trying to squeeze it in before the first meal doesn't sound optimal, because your glycogen stores will be most depleted at that point.

Some of it would depend on the type and duration of the workout.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

I would definitely work out after breaking the daily fast. Trying to squeeze it in before the first meal doesn't sound optimal, because your glycogen stores will be most depleted at that point.

Some of it would depend on the type and duration of the workout.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I do my workouts as soon as I wake up in the morning and then eat a breakfast bar. But I am drinking tea during my workouts. It's not quite like fasting the way you do, but hopefully it will give you perspective.

Best Answer
0 Votes

my husband has diabetes. when his sugar drops and then he brings it back up again, he feels really sleepy for about 20 minutes or so while his stats all stabilize. It sounds like that is what's happening to you after you eat. If you work out light to moderate and eat within a few minutes, I think you will probably be OK, but if you have to go long, I would not recommend it. If you have high intensity workouts- forget it.

Some nutritionist who keep their clients on a 1200 calorie diet do it with strict rules of no strenuous activity. A walk around the park is about all of it. If you are eating less than that per day, I think maybe wait and resume when your eating is back to normal calorie levels.  

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer