Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Force vs Basis B1 - Which Would You Choose?

Greetings!

I'm new to fitness/healthly lifestyle. I was going to get a Fitbit Force this Friday, but then I saw some reviews on the Basis B1. I've watched a few reviews on youtube and have read a few articles comparing the two. I honestly don't know which way to go.

To those reading this:

- Do you own or have you owned a Basis B1?

- What do you like most about the Fitbit Force and Basis B1?

I'm currently using:

My Fitness Pal - Logging food daily and excersize

Map My Walk - Keeping track of excersize and manually putting in data to MFP

Fitbit - Trying to get used to the logging, because I planned on getting the Fitbit Force

I have an iPhone 4, which I read won't sync with the Force. Only 4s and up. However, my iPhone 4 would sync with the Basis B1.

I started my weight loss adventure (trying so hard to not use the word 'journey'!) August 2nd, 2013. To date, I've lost 48.5 lbs (383 to 334.5). I was on blood pressure medicine for being border line stage one hypertension. So with this in mind, Basis would be a good choice for me. However, I like a lot of the features that the Force has and almost feels it outweighs the Basis.

If a post like this was created in the past, my apologies for the duplicate.

Thank you in advance for your time and cheers! 🙂

PS - I hope it's okay to mention another brand/product on here.

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

I really liked the idea of the Basis B1 Band but prior to it coming out but I had bad luck with optical heart rate sensors. Forum posts and reviews seem to say they have problems with tracking heart rate. So I didn't buy one. Everything I've read is the heart rate tracking cuts out once you get much motion to the arm. Heart rate for all the time you're not exerting yourself seems rather pointless.

If you really want to track your heart rate 24/7 then a Zephyr HxM Bluetooth 3.0 would be your most viable option. It's rechargeable and will run 24 hours on a charge. I don't know how much value there is to syncing to your phone. Sure, if you have a phone that can do it great, but otherwise it'll sync through your computer when you're near it. Personally, I can't justify buying another Fitbit just to gain that capability. Since they all come with it if I lost or destroyed my Fitbit I would get a new one. The Basis B1 Band is more if I had money to burn sure, why not, but in addition to the Fitbit. Choosing between the two I would take the Fitbit.

Best Answer

@ContessaCat wrote:

- Do you own or have you owned a Basis B1?

- What do you like most about the Fitbit Force and Basis B1?.

I had briefly considered the Basis B1 last Spring. It looks nice on paper, but seems to be fraught with problems in practice, so I passed. I ended up buying a Fitbit One, then a Fitbit Aria (three months later), then a Mio Alpha (five months later). The Mio Alpha is similar to the Basis B1 as a heart rate monitor, except it does just that. The Fitbit Force wasn't available when I purchased my One, but even if I had to purchase a Fitbit today, I'd still go for the One, which offers better value IMO. People tend to think newer is always better, but I don't think it's the case with the One vs. the Force. As to not being able to sync with your phone, I'd say it's not really a problem, especially if you are using your computer on a daily basis. I used to watch my One's display a lot in the beginning, but I hardly do it now. I just make sure I'm wearing it at all times, and I monitor my dashboard instead, whether on my computer or tablet (iPad). The dashboard displays a lot more information anyway.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I read about that one but wound up buying another Fitbit, the One, instead.  I don't like a giant, visible thing on my arm, even the Flex was too big and ugly for me, and I have no use for heart rate data or any of the other skin sensors (not sure if they have those).  I feel like I get enough of a calorie estimate from a clip-on device.  But I liked the interface of the Basis, how they advance you through new habits and goals.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer
0 Votes

im debaiting on the fitzip or fitbug not sure which one i like better any ideas

Best Answer
0 Votes

One thing to be aware of is the Zip doesn't have an altimeter so it doesn't do floors. It does have the advantage that it has a replaceable battery which lasts for months. My house is 170' above the road and I've gotten the 50 floor badge over 250 times so elevation is significant for me. It's not significant on calories though. I did an activity once leaving and returning and it worked out to like a difference of 1 calorie per flight of stairs. Still, I like having the number.

They have some interesting choices in colors. It's also a bit big for me. Not that it should matter to me since I have a flashlight and Galaxy Note 3 on my belt as well. Still I like the size of the original which closest to the One. I also like that OLED display. That's all pretty superficial, a matter of preference. The main thing would be the lack of an altermeter and the advantage of not having to remember to charge it. I think that's the only things that might leave you wishing you had of choosen differantly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

sao far i like the fitbug better i can even get it at walmart

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you can get a Fitbit Zip at Walmart, too, or maybe just online.  I think Walgreens has them.

I know nothing about the Fitbug except that one of the big tech sites rated it worst amongst the trackers.  I'm not sure if it was c-net or who now.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh, sorry, I thought you just got confused about the names since there's no Fitbit Bug. Apparently there is a Fitbug though. Needless to say I never heard of it and really can't comment on it. CNet has a review of it where they compare it frequently to the Zip.

Best Answer
0 Votes
yes walmart has it but im not sure what one im buying yet as i like the
fitbug a lot as amazon has it for cheap so im still deciding if i like the
zip better then the bug not sure yet
Best Answer
0 Votes

there is a fitbug just not from this site.. it does the same the zip does just not sure which one is better i also saw sparkpeople has a device too so its hard to pick the right device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

ill stick with the zip if its that bad not buying something that wont work for me

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you everyone for your insights and suggestions. I'll go with a fitbit. Now I just need to choose between the One or the Force. 🙂

Cheers~

Heart

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you commonly do activities where your arms/wrists move while not walking?  While Fitbit tries its best to discern movements it isn't foolproof.  Examples of things I have seen mentioned:  playing certain musical instruments, doing sign language, knitting, raking leaves (over estimates steps), etc.

If accuracy is your primary concern then IMHO the One is preferable.  It is what I use, but I also don't like things on my wrist since giving up watches many years ago.

If convenience is paramount and you want a wrist based tracker, then get the Force.

Just my .02

Best Answer
0 Votes

The opposite also applies. If you hold the heart rate sensors or a book/tablet while walking on a treadmill you're likely going to lose a lot of steps with a wrist based tracker. Likely the same for carrying trays and pushing a baby carriage.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ContessaCat wrote:

Now I just need to choose between the One or the Force. 🙂

I'd personally take the One over the Force, but if you want a wrist-mounted model, you may want to consider the Flex instead of the Force. The hefty premium currently commanded by the Force (mostly for the novelty factor) isn't justified IMO: except for counting floors (not essential IMO), it doesn't offer much added value compared to the Flex. I believe sensors and connectivity (BLE) are exactly the same.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The OP has an iPhone 4 (not 4S) meaning no BLE, thus the Force has the added advantage of being able to see actual values instead of 20% increment lights toward the daily goal.  The Flex has the advantage of being waterproof, if that is a consideration.

I have the One myself, and would still buy the same model today.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I can only afford the zip or fitbug everything else costs too much

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have any experience with the Fitbug models.  I did buy a Zip for a family member who wanted it instead of the One (I have also given some family members a One).  I'm a little skeptical of a model which claims you can wear it anywhere.  The translation of motion to "steps" will be different for wrist based vs torso.  Fitbit even tunes the algorithms for dominant vs non-dominant wrist.

But I can't give you any firsthand experience with the Fitbug.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks but I'm deciding between the zip and fitbug as its all I can do

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes