Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Users Who had Spinal Operations

ANSWERED

Hi

I only got my Fitbit about one and a half weeks ago and it took me a day or so to figure some of it out.  I recently, like 7 weeks ago, had surgery on my back, 3 discs.  I go to PT twice a week but cannot walk outside due to ice and snow outside.  I finally reached 5 thousand steps this past week.  I really want to do 10 grand but I think that would be too much for me.  I see no group, so I made one up for people that are recovering from spine operations.  I am 68, gained 45 lbs. waiting to get this operation and now have lost about 17 since then, 3 lbs. since I got the Fitbit Charge HR.  Can anyone help me?  I have one friend but she is young and well way ahead of me without any surgery to my knowledge.  I think I am doing ok, but the PT people think I can do better.  I am very tiny, like 4 foot 11 inches maybe.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Best of luck in your recovery, @Joymoon! Get up and get walking, it is good for you! I had very serious spine injury 14 months ago, and when the doctor sent me home from the hospital he told me to get out an walk, and walk, and walk..... He said I could not walk to much, nor climb to many stairs.  Since it was in the dead of winter, I got on the treadmill and started walking. Within a month of the surgery, while still in a body cast, I was walking 3 miles a day, and shortly thereafter I was walking 5 miles a day.  When spring finally arrived, I started walking outdoors, and was walking 5 to 7 miles a day. I have never stopped walking - some fear that I may take off walking and forget to come back...  Smiley Happy

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Best of luck in your recovery, @Joymoon! Get up and get walking, it is good for you! I had very serious spine injury 14 months ago, and when the doctor sent me home from the hospital he told me to get out an walk, and walk, and walk..... He said I could not walk to much, nor climb to many stairs.  Since it was in the dead of winter, I got on the treadmill and started walking. Within a month of the surgery, while still in a body cast, I was walking 3 miles a day, and shortly thereafter I was walking 5 miles a day.  When spring finally arrived, I started walking outdoors, and was walking 5 to 7 miles a day. I have never stopped walking - some fear that I may take off walking and forget to come back...  Smiley Happy

Best Answer
Thank you so much.  I will be looking around for a treadmill but I live  in the mountains and the snow and ice will be gone within about 2 weeks.  That has been my problem as I did not want to fall.  I have a inverse machine and a Nordic Trac plus Pilates but those are not for me at the moment.  I do have a normal stationary bike but was told to use only a recumbent.Oh the rules.Next is the knee on the 17th.  It never ends at this age.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I now will need a new knee shortly in a few months.  I am taking the 3 shots of collegen.      I am bone on bone.  This osteoporosis never stops.  Very upset.  Back still hurts at night.  Remember 2 levels, no fusion, just that one hour operation

Best Answer
0 Votes

The stationary bike did not work for me at all.  Still have pain days but I am 69, far older than you and now will need a new knee in January.  All the gymnastics and skiing did me in.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a spinal fusion back when I was in 8th grade for scoliosis.  Exercise such as walking can be very good for you. I am 40 years old now and doing quite well.

Thomas (Atomic77) West Bend, Wisconsin: Fitbit Versa 2 and Aria Air Scale
Best Answer
0 Votes

As a retired Physical Therapist with 38 years experience in orthopedics and rehabilitation, be careful what your PT's tell you, they haven't had your operation, probably are a lot younger than you and also don't have your knee problem.  My rules have always been, listen to your body, your body knows more than your PT's and never train through pain.  Keep up the walking because it will strengthen your spine and your Quadriceps muscle which well help you recover more quickly after the knee surgery.  Sorry to here about your 3 collagen injections, they never really solve the bone on bone problem.  I won't go into the reasons orthopods recommend them.  Good luck keep up with the walking.

Best Answer

The back does hurt daily. Especially the lumbar area where I had a laminectomy 4 years ago.  I obviously am using a Fitbit,  a new one and just put it on my tablet today. One day did not register and that was 2000 steps.  I live in the mountains and it's very hard to walk outside in the snow and ice. So I averaged 2000 steps every other day. I tried to do chair yoga but broken shoulder sthurts. No PTSD for me in this area. I am 70 years old. They did tell my ex that if I lived I would be paralyzed.  Obviously not. 18 broken bones 13 months ago and I am a miracle.  Only walking for me and I was in perfect shape before this accident.  But better than being dead.

Best Answer

@JoymoonYour positive nature will get you through this and moving is what it's all about within limits.. You are listening to your body and you will get there.

In Australia over the last few months we have been hit with countless ads about standing up for 5 minutes every hour.. If not, worse than smoking.....

I'm 80 this year and "only" had a hip replacement in 2015 and that hasn't kept me back.. Just a scratch compared to your accident.

@USAF-Larry  Smiley Happy The last lines of your post make me think of Forrest Gump, and ironically the movie was on our TV this week..

"When spring finally arrived, I started walking outdoors, and was walking 5 to 7 miles a day. I have never stopped walking - some fear that I may take off walking and forget to come back.."

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes
My grandmother told me at age 97, the day you stop walking is the day you die.  For her this came true as she was standing in her room, her hip broke.  Just like that.  3 days later she passed from blood poisoning.  That was in 79.  Today they could have operated right away.  Nothing else was wrong with her.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39 wrote:

@USAF-Larry  Smiley Happy The last lines of your post make me think of Forrest Gump, and ironically the movie was on our TV this week..

"When spring finally arrived, I started walking outdoors, and was walking 5 to 7 miles a day. I have never stopped walking - some fear that I may take off walking and forget to come back.."

Or, as someone once said, "My grandmother started walking 5 miles a day when she was 60. She is 97 now, and we have no idea where she is....."  Smiley Surprised

Best Answer

Joymoon:  Keep up the positive thinking and activity.  Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes