Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa 3 recording steps

ANSWERED

Hi, I am noticing that my Fitbit Versa 3 does not record my steps if I am holding onto something like a shopping cart or the handles on my treadmill. Am I doing something wrong? I need to hold onto to the handles on my treadmill due to balance issues. I try to walk a lot when shopping. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You're not doing anything wrong but this is a weakness with trackers, including fitbits, in that they track steps by detecting movement of the tracker i.e. your wrist, and working out whether that movement was the result of a step or just random arm movement. If your arm is not moving as it normally would when walking - such as holding on to a shopping cart or treadmill handles - then it will miss steps. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can help other than not holding on with your fitbit hand.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

You're not doing anything wrong but this is a weakness with trackers, including fitbits, in that they track steps by detecting movement of the tracker i.e. your wrist, and working out whether that movement was the result of a step or just random arm movement. If your arm is not moving as it normally would when walking - such as holding on to a shopping cart or treadmill handles - then it will miss steps. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can help other than not holding on with your fitbit hand.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @heartnsoultalks I agree with all @SteveH has said. When I go shopping with a shopping cart, I take my Fitbit off and put it in my shoulder bag. Could you put yours in a pocket on the treadmill? The other option is to wear it on your ankle when on the treadmill.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes