Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit heart rate accuracy question

ANSWERED

So, I'm doing my walk this morning, and going a bit faster than normal, but not breathing heavy.

When I get back and sync, it looks like FB recorded my heart rate in the 170-180 range for about 30 minutes.  I'm thinking that this is not right......

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I’ve learned not to trust or rely on Fitbit for an accurate HR.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

@nasacpa wrote:

So, I'm doing my walk this morning, and going a bit faster than normal, but not breathing heavy.

When I get back and sync, it looks like FB recorded my heart rate in the 170-180 range for about 30 minutes.  I'm thinking that this is not right......

I hope not!  Optical sensors can get bad readings due to a number of factors.  Make sure you wipe off/ clean the sensors occasionally, and try restarting your fitbit.

... and stop holding your breath on your walk Smiley LOL

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I’ve learned not to trust or rely on Fitbit for an accurate HR.

Best Answer

@nasacpa wrote:

it looks like FB recorded my heart rate in the 170-180 range for about 30 minutes.

Was it a one-off episode, or do you see similar, unexplained bursts in the 24-hour graph of other days?

Can you post the 24-hour HR graph and the 24-hour calories graph for the day in question? This would be the following graphs:

Screenshot_20190702-182058.png

Screenshot_20190702-182009.png

They should match, i.e. you should see taller, green bars on the calories graph when you have a higher HR indicating more intense activity.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually, it's the graph showing my walk.  Not sure if I can post it, but will try.  

The graphs that you show have no such odd jumps for me during the day, they're all normal looking.

It doesn't always do this, and I shower with my FB on, so it gets cleaned.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 11.13.41.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

The step count and time looks right, and the "cardio" rate could be right...I don't really look at my FB during my walk.

But I doubt that I'm cruising along at 180 bpm without breathing hard.

Best Answer

@nasacpa wrote:

The step count and time looks right, and the "cardio" rate could be right...I don't really look at my FB during my walk.

But I doubt that I'm cruising along at 180 bpm without breathing hard.

I doubt you are at 180 without breathing hard too.  Does it happen every time? Have you tried resetting the watch?  As far as cleaning goes, although I don't think it has anything to do with this problem, I wouldn't rely entirely on wearing it while you shower to keep it clean.  That won't hurt, but any build up from sweat, suntan lotion, etc. will likely be unaffected by a water rinse.  People sometimes develop rashes and I think in part it has to do with never taking the fitbit off and cleaning it.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

It happens frequently.  I had another 180 bpm period during this morning's leisurely walk.  

I'm gonna try resetting.

As far as cleaning, when I'm showering, i get my wrist good and soapy, and rub the FB up and down my wrist.  No rashes, just a tan line.

Best Answer
0 Votes

SO FAR.....resetting seems to have resolved this issue.  But it's only been two exercise sessions.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds promising.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that restarting has solved the problem.....

Best Answer

Try wearing it tighter and higher on the arm during your workout. A loose tracker can have your data all over the place. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Resetting seems to have handled the problem.  I'm not interested in wearing it tighter, in fact, I find that sometimes I have to loosen it a notch towards the end of a walk.

Best Answer