Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit not counting steps while pushing stroller

ANSWERED

Anyone else notice the fitbit not counting steps while pushing a stroller? I was at Disney with my daughter and my sister yesterday. I had 7000 steps to her 3000 steps when she got to the park. We walked together all day with the exception that I had to bring my daughter for a lot more frequent bathroom breaks while my sister waited outside on a bench or otherwise stationary. By the end of the day, not only had I lost my 4000 step lead, I was another 5000 or so steps behind her. The only difference was that I did more walking but pushed a stroller. Fitbit's counted walks for me are way off on step count. I usually get right around 1000 steps per 10 minutes of walking, but, it looked like fitbit recorded several walks for me yesterday that were half my usual steps. 

Anyone know how to push a stroller and still have fitbit count all your steps?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I have a Charge 2. The HRM gives a good enough calorie burned estimate even if you the steps don't log because your hand is on the stroller. 

I wouldn't log the step difference as it will likely double count calories.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

The wrist devices don't work well when pushing a stroller or shopping car. Just put it in your pocket.

Best Answer

That does prompt a followup question though, I'm trying to eat at around 1000 calorie deficit. Would you assume that the calorie burn that my Fitbit assigns me will be more accurate with the HR or with the steps? If it's more accurate with heart rate, then I'll just deal with my personal hangup about not having all my steps counted. My goal is to have the most accurate calorie burn. 🙂

If heart rate matters more, I suppose I could throw my old omron pedometer in my pocket and log the step difference. Though, I suspect my heart rate hangs out right around 103-113 while walking and pushing the stroller. It's not like I'm jogging at the theme park but I do have a pretty mean speedwalk. 

I had one 'walk' from theme park day where it says I walked only 2407 steps in 35:51 minutes but that my average heart rate was 135. In a typical walk for me I step about 1000 steps every 10 minutes and my heart rate is only 116-119. This was a speed walk to get to meet up with part of our group on the other side of the park. The last time my heart rate was even close to that, it was a walk where I averaged nearly 1,300 steps every 10 minutes. In other words, those 2407 steps were probably more like 4660 steps, however, the fitbit did catch that my heart rate was in the 130's. 

Sorry, I know that's probably too much data, I'm just not familiar enough with how my fitbit counts calories. If it's giving me a more accurate number off my heart rate, I can ignore that I didn't get all my steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Charge 2. The HRM gives a good enough calorie burned estimate even if you the steps don't log because your hand is on the stroller. 

I wouldn't log the step difference as it will likely double count calories.

Best Answer

Heart rate is your answer. 

As of it being higher than what you are used to it could be accurate and be high for multiple reasons.  What was the incline/decline, condition of the pavement, were you often taking your child out (lifting), what was the temperature, pure fun/excitement, etc... Even eating all of that lovely theme park food will get your hear rate going simply digesting.  

I suspect the theme park offered many different scenarios than your daily walk. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Fitbit will not register steps if your "wearing" arm doesn't show movement. If you walk without swinging your arm your steps will not register. For that same reason steps will not register while using an elliptical if you are holding on to stationary handlebars. But when my husband uses the riding mower over our bumpy lawn he registers thousands of steps while sitting down.

Best Answer

Yes, my fitbit alta didn't track my steps at the track today. I walked for an hour and it was a couple miles (slowly walking with friends and children). I had to manually track it by time only and i was robbed of over 3000 steps that I know would have been registered had I not pushed a stroller going by previous walks without a stroller at the same pace. It'll affect my competitions that I am a part of, which sucks. But, I guess knowing that I did walk the steps makes it ok. Even if it didn't log.

Best Answer

I will most definitely try this! I can't believe I hadn't thought of trying this yet. lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this one is "solved", but I just wanted to add another idea. I noticed the same thing when competing with my hubby. Same walk, I pushed the stroller, but 4000 less steps than him, and I take shorted strides!

I began wearing my Blaze (pop out of wrist band) in my sock. Much more accurate & I can finally beat him!

Best Answer

put your fitbit tracker on your shoe or ankle and it will probably pick up.  Hope this helps!

Best Answer

Apparently, this is still a problem in 2021 and appears to affect multiple devices. I have the Charge 3. Our dog has hip and leg issues so for longer walks I push her in a pet stroller. This is when I get the bulk of my steps in as I typically walk between 5-7 miles. I, too, noticed it was not tracking all the steps. I tried the same route, the same starting point (in terms of steps already recorded), and found that I would hit my target after about an hour and 15 minutes when not pushing the pet stroller. After 1 1/2 hours of pushing the pet stroller, I not only did NOT hit my target but was anywhere from 2,500 - 3,000 steps below target (despite the extra 15 minutes).

As someone pointed out, I get a more accurate count if I push the stroller with one hand. However, I go up hills and pushing with one hand is putting a strain on my right elbow and thumb (hey, what can I say - old joints). 🙂 To the point I am experiencing pain in both. Someone at Fitbit needs to address this issue that appears to have been going on for years. There are a lot of parents out there (for human and fur babies) who are getting inaccurate counts.

Best Answer

Best answer ive found is to wear on your ankle!

Best Answer

To make matters worse, Fitbit had devices that would work for these for years - the Fitbit Zip and the Fitbit One, both of which could be worn on a clip on your bra, waistband, etc. They've discontinued those and offer no reliable alternative, completely disregarding a large segment of their customers. There is one that says it can be used with a clip (I forget which one), but support at Zip says it is not reliable for tracking / counting that way. So disappointed that Zip discontinued carrying a product that worked for people with strollers as well as people (like me) with disabilities who need to use an assistive device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@indigonote   My first Fitbit was a One and I have personal experience with the Inspire 2 in the On Clip mode.  I found the Inspire 2 to be as accurate as my One with respect to step counts.  The Inspire 3 is the current model that has a clip available as an accessory, but I don't have experience with it.

I don't think Fitbit is ignoring users who want a clip model.  I searched the Inspire 3 forum and don't find any complaints from users about Inspire 3 accuracy in the On Body setting.  Unhappy users are very quick to post in these forums.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
I have not been very quick to post in forums. I have called support repeatedly at intervals over the last three years. I have been specifically told by Fitbit support by two different support reps that I would not be able to to anticipate a dependable function from Inspire on clip on mode. And additionally including one supervisor when I sought clarification, who said the same. Once a rep did say it could be used that way ‘but no guarantees.’

I appreciate the information and your opinion on function and may try the Inspire despite the support reps opinion. I do not appreciate the swipe at me on my post.
Best Answer
0 Votes