Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit surge

Anyone share their resting heart rate on surge. Mine is about 60-61. Is that about average?
Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

@skirmisher wrote:
Anyone share their resting heart rate on surge. Mine is about 60-61. Is that about average?

@skirmisher It's all about the individual. My graph below started to increase and I realised I was starting to wear a woollen sweater (winter here), and that pushed my rate up about 10 beats/minute.

I have set the Spinning option while asleep and my pulse can go to 42 bpm

I'm pre-hypertensive and the doctors aren't worried about me. Always pays to be checked if you are unsure. As you find with this link it is all about the person

Last Summer my pulse was 96 for 3 hours (Polar - no Surge then) and that was a very hot day and I was inside with aircon on, only watching TV and sipping plain fluids. I had a doctor appointment that day and he checked me over and wasn't worried. The last two images are some tests I ran while asleep using "Spinnong". Sleep recorded OK. The spikes are bathroom breaks for a 75 year person.

HR tile 3.jpg

Surge wrist sleep.jpgSurge ankle sleep.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've heard several comment that they can't figure out the formula Fitbit uses for resting HR - because it's not the lowest low in the morning, it's not the average low throughout the day, so who knows.

60-61 is decent average for healthy (as in fit) person without medical issues or outside reasons like Colin commented on.

My resting is 40-45, on a non-exercise day my daily avg was about 55. That's not because it's so low, but rather when I don't exercise, I don't hardly do anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Heybales wrote:

I've heard several comment that they can't figure out the formula Fitbit uses for resting HR - because it's not the lowest low in the morning, it's not the average low throughout the day, so who knows.

60-61 is decent average for healthy (as in fit) person without medical issues or outside reasons like Colin commented on.

My resting is 40-45, on a non-exercise day my daily avg was about 55. That's not because it's so low, but rather when I don't exercise, I don't hardly do anything.

@Heybales Fitbit FAQ's point us to this link from the American Heart Org. But interestingly last few nights night I slept with an extra blanket (winter here, never snow) and my average for the night was 60 bpm. I set the Workout option while sleeping.  You can again see the affect of the extra clothing and blankets on my system.

Also if I don't wear the Surge while asleep I get the lower RHR readings like you during the day. So it's all about knowing what external influences are acting on our bodies.

Extract from this link

How is resting heart rate measured?

Resting heart rate refers to the heart rate measured when you're awake, calm, comfortable, and have not recently exerted yourself. Your tracker estimates your resting heart rate by measuring your heart rate while you're asleep and while you're awake but still during the day. Therefore, for best accuracy, wear your tracker to sleep. Note that your minimum heart rate during sleep is typically lower than your resting heart rate.

rhr winter june.jpg

Sleeping Workout and bathroom breaks.

HR workout sleep.jpg

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Very interesting, thanks for links.

So for your increased sleeping HR - do you think because you are still cold, so body is speeding up to keep warm, or more than warm enough and body is attempting to cool down?

You've reminded me I've been meaning to wear my Garmin overnight after a big cardio workout, and a big lifting workout, and see what differences there are on not only averages, but when I reach my low.

Last time, low was reached just prior to waking up, and in fact most of the night was higher than resting I'd seen during an all day view, like you saw.

I guess Fitbit not giving what would normally be considered a resting HR that atheletes might be talking about isn't that big a deal - Fitbit is already doing the HR zones, and I'd hope adjusting automatically, based on that changing.

But I think there is still something to be said for watching that lowest of low after waking up, for those that are really active, to confirm it doesn't start going the wrong direction.

I think, think, I headed off several colds that way. Compared to the times I didn't change and got one.

At least with daily graph, it's easy to see that, and I suppose could make a measurement to log it, or at least view and compare it day to day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine currently is 46 BPM.  It used to be 64 BPM but I am on Beta Blockers for a heart issue to slow my heart down.  Makes exercise difficult.

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tinman53 wrote:

Mine currently is 46 BPM.  It used to be 64 BPM but I am on Beta Blockers for a heart issue to slow my heart down.  Makes exercise difficult.

It would also make HR-based calorie burn estimates totally invalid.

Don't undereat too much because your calorie burns are lower than reality.

Or do you mean you can't go that hard anyway, in which case the estimate is likely valid.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi!

My heart rate drops to 44 when I'm sleeping.
When I exercise I can go as high as 180 and I can keep it for good 50-70 minutes.

I walk everywhere (I live in NYC), I run and swim during lunch time (my gym is across the street from my office) and I do ballet 3 times/week 🙂

I've been trying to do some research in resting HR but so far, all I see is about male athletes. 

I'm a girl, in my mid 30's... according to almost every data I've seen online, women's HR is at around 55-60 for athletes.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the same dilemma and you can read plenty about it in this topic.

My doctors have decided to blame my parents and it is generic at 54 bpm. I'm like you gets to 42 while asleep.

According the tables I have read you are also classified as athletic

That is why I put more emphasis on recovery heart rate.

I'm in hospital, after a total hip replacement on Tuesday and my RHR is now 70. So that proves you must know what your body is doing.

😃 I'm walking on crutches after day 2 and the Surge is being accurate with steps.
Best Answer
I just started using the surge
Out of shape
Resting HR is at 78-80 😕
I have been at it for a week, Bikibg and walking
Not sure if it will improve
Best Answer

@CeliaSchott To add to my earlier post I decided to run a Surge workout while I was asleep.

Results were, RHR is now 74 and for a 6hr 51min sleeping workout the Fat Zone was 6hr 50mins, yes, a totally wrong result. Now my calories burned are wayout

HRM assume, that with increasing pulse your muscles are working. So, another example of being aware of your body

Best Answer
I'm going to try doing that and see what the results are.
Thanks so much! Colim39
Best Answer
0 Votes

Any news on what it was like? My RHR flits between 58 and 64 which doesnt seem too bad but Im wondering if its accurate after all these coments about leaving a workout while asleep. Im tempted but thought battery life while activated was only 4 hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried doing that last night and it recorded 42 as an average. Lowest was 40, highest 52.
Best Answer
0 Votes
The battery actually lasts for about three days wearing it all day.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is 74 bpm and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape - I can run a few miles in the heat without dying and bench more than I weigh.

But I'm trying to run a bit more to improve that number.

edit: On the heart rate graph, so far the lowest my heart rate has been is around 58 bpm. I've only had my fitbit since last week though and, oddly enough, am using it to try and gain weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

my resting heartrate is between 47 & 53 depends on whether its a rest day or not.

im tracking it since May of this year and have increased my training considerably in that perioid and back then my resting rate was around 59..

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello,

Mine is between 50 and 55.
Best Answer
0 Votes

How did you set that up?

Best Answer
0 Votes