Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitness / job performance balance

Hey everyone, 

A little background... I am typically a very active person, gymming 3-4 times a week + dance 2-3 times per week. However I'm also a university student, so there are periods of 2-3 weeks where I really need to focus on my studies - and stay sedentary for by and large the whole time (except for walking maybe 30 min / day). 

Since during those periods I try to compensate by eating more healthfully, I might lose some muscle mass, but I bounce back pretty fast afterwards. The issue is that when I start lifting or running again, my body immediately gets super sore, and it get INFINITELY harder to sit in a chair - until the next period I stop working out all together. 

I guess the issue is that after my no-workout periods, I am too enthusiastic about being in the gym, and I overdue it. But only because I know this is the only chance I'll get and I'll miss it like crazy...! 

So on the one hand, I study better but am less fit, on the other, I'm fit but can't focus..

Students and / or desk workers, how do you balance, especially during periods you really need to commit to uni / your job?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

@Beaudicia 

During the busy times when I have little time to exercise, I try to incorporate it into my day.  I will work for 2 hours then go for a 15-20 minute brisk walk.  I do that throughout the day.  I find I am more refreshed and productive during my work time.  If I was not in the workplace, I would do a mini 15-20 minute workout instead of the brisk walk.

You could ride a recumbent bike while studying or get one of those under desk pedal bicycles.  You could pedal while studying.  They are really reasonable and you can find them at places like Wal-Mart, Target, and Amazon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes