Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitness partners in Houston Texas

Hello I'm looking for friends that want to exercise together in the Houston, Texas area.

I walk about 4-6 miles everyday. I lift weights 3 days a week. I also sometimes ride my road bike 10-20 miles. I walk around 4-4.5 mph, around 13-16 minute miles. I'm almost 50, so I prefer walking instead of running as it's lower impact.

I used to be a very fat guy, 281 lbs. I'm down to 210 lbs in the last 10 1/2 months. My goal is to get down to around 175 lbs. I find working out with someone makes us both work out harder. We can cheer each other on, and keep us motivated.

I'd love to find a group of people to walk together. Or train together and lose weight.

I walk at Doss park, Memorial Park, White Oak Bayou Trail (ride there too), Keith Weiss Park, and Pundt Park (rode there before the floods closed most of the park). I'm open to new parks.

I workout after 5 pm during the week, and on the weekends usually in the morning.

I'm also open to joining a gym. I prefer exercising outside, but with the heat, and my need to add more weight training, a gym is in my near future anyway. I have a weight bench, and dumbbells, so I don't need a gym right now. But the added machines would allow me work on different muscles.

Anyone want up to do some challenges in the real world?

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hey, John!  I've seen your posts, and often great advice, and wondered where you are in Texas.  I'm in Humble and I agree with you completely about the heat and humidity.  I'm  a (relatively) slow walker, about 18 miles an hour, and haven't made it up to running yet. I'll be thinking about you as I do my laps very early in the mornings, our parks don't 'open' until daylight, they keep the best walking trail fenced and locked up, lol.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, I'm not too far from you.  You over near 1960 and 59?  I'm over at I45 and the beltway.  I'm going to guess you meant to say you walk a 18 minute mile!  18 MPH you'd leave me in the dust!  Hell you'd be an Olympic power walker! 

You may or may not end up running.  I've tried, buy my 49 year old knees just doesn't like it.  In fact my right knee isn't too happy with me walking at the moment.

The Jesse Jones Park and nature center is near you.  There is a VERY long trail from there past Pundt park where I walk and ride.  But I'm not sure the trail is open.  It was closed at Pundt park about a month ago still recovering from the floods this year.

There is also the Mercer Botanical Garden on 1960 near Aldine Westfied. 

Perhaps one Saturday morning we can walk at one of these once in a while.  My wife and I live in separate cities, and when I walk with her, we walk around 18 to 20 minute miles.  It's just more fun walking with someone and chat the walk away!

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, duh, sorry I meant 18 minutes per mile.  Today though I walked almost 45 minutes and only got 2.5 miles, the humidity nearly did me in, like walking in soup.  My son was at Jesse Jones park recently and said it was pretty badly damaged by the floods, not alot of the trails have re-opened.  I've thought about going to the mall to walk, but it just feels so, I don't know old.  lol Not quite ready to do that.

Best Answer
0 Votes