Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Steps while working?!?

What are yall doing to help move and get your steps while working? I work in at a desk majority of the day. Its hard to get up and move around sometimes. I am assuming most are walking during their lunch breaks. Any of suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

I have the Blaze and I'm not sure which of these features are Blaze-only or Fitbit-wide. 

I use the step reminders. I get a little buzz to remind me to get 250 steps every hour for 14 hours. This is great for days when I'm stuck doing database stuff instead of repairs. (IT life). 

Also, I use FitStar (whether built-in on the Blaze or via the app) to get a ~10 minute work out a couple times a week. I can close my office door, but a conference room or unassigned office works well. 

If you're one of those lucky people who gets to actually take their lunch break... Try taking lunch at a park or just walk around the block a few times.

Best Answer

How big is your office? Can you use the toilets at a different floor or wing when you have to use them? Options for print outs? Maybe you can go for a walk during lunch. I simply get up and walk around every hour when I don't have a meeting. When people ask I simply explain and everybody thinks it is a great idea, they are just not doing it themselves yet.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

I do a lot of the things that have already been mentioned, walk for 10 minutes out of every hour, using the restroom on a different floor, going for a walk at lunch. There are some other things too...instead of picking up the phone, or sending an email, I will walk to the office of the person I want to talk to. I also have a sit-stand desk, so if I absolutely cannot leave my computer (which doesn't happen too frequently), I will march in place. You look a little silly sometimes, but it's a way to get in those steps. Parking further away from the building entrance is a good way to get a few extra steps in as well.

Best Answer

I get up and walk around the floor of my office building once an hour, sometimes using the restroom. I take the long way back around the floor and around my office. I admit to not walking during my lunch breaks, but I do make sure I get up and walk after I'm done eating so I can wash my utensils and throw out the container from my frozen dinner.

I also use public transit, so I get steps in on the way to and from work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@hveal25 wrote:

What are yall doing to help move and get your steps while working? I work in at a desk majority of the day. Its hard to get up and move around sometimes. I am assuming most are walking during their lunch breaks. Any of suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

I take a walk in the morning during coffee break (while it's still cool) and hit the gym and lunchtime.  I'm usually at 9Kish steps by the time I head home for the day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank yall! Ive been pretty busy today which has helped with my steps. 

Question! Do the Flex bands have a Reminder to Move setting? I cant seem to find it but mine may not have that function. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@hveal25: Welcome to Fitbit community!  Basic flex don't have the move reminder. But Flex 2 has.

Happy stepping!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also at a desk most of the day.  I take a quick walk during my morning and afternoon breaks (about 1500 - 2000 steps each) and then a longer one at lunch (2500 - 3000).  I will pace around while waiting for the coffee to brew or for something to heat up in the microwave (coworkers are pretty use to that now...lol).  I also take the "long way" around the office to get to the mailboxes/bathroom/etc.....because every extra step counts!  : )

Best Answer
0 Votes

I work from home most days so I use my lunch time to walk the dog and after while back to work I eat my lunch. I use the mute button a lot :). If I didn't I would literally end up with 1500 steps by 430 and have a ton of steps to make up before bed. Although this only gives me about 4K steps, its only 10K more that I have to do at the gym or park hike. If I am in the office, I don't park close (unless its raining or freezing) and I make sure to walk to the cafeteria which is the furthest point from my desk. When I get back, I eat my lunch that I packed from home 🙂 on mute.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

This would depend on the layout of your workplace, but during a fitbit inspired walk around my office building one day I found a very infrequently used staircase that I use to get a quick bit of activity in. It's a nice break from just walking and it works well on a rainy day since it's inside 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm new to fitbit and this is exactly what I'm doing. Every hour I get up and walk around for 500 steps. People were like, "huh" at first but now they are encouraging and hoping to run into me lol.

Best Answer

Every time I walk around the floor of the building, people in my office (and in the other office) ask me if I'm getting my steps in. 

Yes I am. But I'm also going to the bathroom because I drink so much (tea, herbal infusions, water) that I'm peeing all the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Firstly, the flex 2 bands have reminder to move. (I have that fitbit and use it at my desk job)

Secondly, I have a 10 minute walk to the office from the bus stop so that helps in a morning. I walk on my lunch and I try to drink more. So each hour I either need a drink or a toilet stop. So that helps with walking. I also try to walk to people I need to talk too. I also use the stairs rather than the lift.

I can usually hit my 8,500 steps a day. And I only get a 30 minute lunch break.

Best Answer

Way to go!  At my office I walk 3 "laps" around the parking lot and can get just over a mile in.  I do this twice a day. I have noticed that so many more people from the other offices are now walking as well!   Once home - an evening walk after dinner with my hubby helps me get my steps in during the week. The weekends I have no problem exceeding my goal as we are so busy. Keep up the great work Yvette!!👟

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've turned my day into a game, with my desk as home base.  And anytime I have to do a different task, I have to tag home base first.  No more walking to the bathroom, stopping in the mailroom on my way back, and picking up a print job before sitting again.  Now it's more like - go to the bathroom, come back and touch my desk, go to the mailroom, come back and touch my desk, go to the printer, come back and touch my desk.  I sometimes feel a little ridiculous doing an immediate about-face, but I figure anyone paying attention probably thinks I just forgot something.  LOL  Playing this 'game' has upped my step count pretty significantly.

Best Answer
I hate the alta.....it alerts me to move every hour and I am in a call center. I stand up and walk in place. I find it hard to get many steps in on my lunch because I am diabetic, I have to eat and take my shots....so far it's working.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cincystamper I love your idea and think I'll try it.

I was struggling to get my steps in consistently and so were may of my coworkers, so I launched a company wide challenge. The first month was highest average steps wins. What I found with that contest was that all the people that already walk or run a lot were engaged and having a great time. However, it didn’t work for the folks that needed motivation. The next month we did a team based challenge. More people joined and teams took walks together. They got steps in and bonded. Win! Win! Every month since March we have a company challenge and we are still growing in numbers and step average continues to increase as well. I use the Activity Groups (under the Community menu) to create the challenges. I love how fun this is for the company, the great feedback on the challenges, and most importantly we’ve found a way increase our movement.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer