Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting back in the Groove after Hip Surgery!!

ANSWERED

I feel older than dirt posting this. Played a lot of Rugby, Hoops, Softball, etc over the years and the check finally came due. and had to have a total hip replacement about a year ago. I would be interested to see how anyone in the same boat got back into the Groove after surgery.  I got back on the Elliptical at 5 months post surgery which was nice but It still stiffens up on my after a workout. Also still fighting a bit of a limp!!   - Kevin

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think people who are used to physical activity have certain expectations of our bodies.. always. no matter what the situation is we try to push things along because we always have. At times we end up making things more difficult for ourselves. the 10 pounds can be reduced through diet and you are doing great with activity - at least I think so. Lots of people would be more cautious and maybe look for reasons not to do something instead of reasons to push through. celebrate what you can do and with time the rest will come along too. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Been there done that!

I takes time. I dont remember how long it took me. But I do remember I was not allowed to even walk for the first month. That about killed me Smiley Very Happy As I'm a daily walker

Just ease back into things slowly. But if you are still stiffing up you might want to ask your DR about it

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

4  yrs ago i had both hips done at the same time. I can't remember the exact timeline but i  kept doing the list of post-hip-surgery recommended exercises,walking with 2 crutches ,then a walker  and going to the physiotherapist when i wanted to move up to the next level of exercises until i was walking aid free and able to ride a stationary bike.

Even after 4 yrs i still end up doing a few of the physio exercises every day after biking like the clam shell exercise  or the muscles around the hips ache and burn some.

Best Answer

@CaptSmash  We all react differently from our Total Hip Replacements.. Mine was the Anterior Method and my surgeon growled at me for my activity.. He blamed our Fitbits...  I only had two visits to the rehab physio and one visit to the Surgeon.. He just relied on my GP and my regular physio for feedback.

I was walking in 2 days with arm crutches , driving the car in a fortnight because my op was the left and here we drive on the left and use our right foot for the accelerator and brake.

I was back to normal walking in 3 weeks with no issues.. After 4 years I still have some numbness in the lower outside left calf..  But at 80 next birthday I have no issues..

Fortunately my hip replacement was due to no cartilage, no arthritis..

Activity is down this winter but otherwise no other afflictions..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Thanks for the reply. Always great to talk to Australia. Played Rugby in Perth when my Carrier visited a long time ago!! I also had anterior and had similar good results. Rehab people told me that it would probably take a full year and now I'm on month 13 and still have a small limp. I can hit the elliptical almost daily as long as I keep the resistance down. Gaining 10 lbs during my recovery probably did not help, so I may have to wait a bit longer for the kinks to be worked out!!   - Kevin

Image result for australia rugby

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was lucky enough to be back in the gym on the elliptical in 3 months. I guess I should consider myself lucky. I think recovery time must be a very individual thing!! I appreciate these reply's since it gives me a feel for how everyone else did!!  - Kevin

"Keep Buggering on"   - Winston Churchill

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CaptSmashGreat that you are "back".... From my observations it's definitely individual.. 

We always worry about hospital infections.. My 47 year old daughter broke her hip, they pinned it using posterior method. Then the infection developed and she needed a total hip replacement, 6 weeks of rehab  and then a few weeks of intravenous antibiotics at home, with a nurse visiting every day.. The luck of the draw..

I didn't add my genetic disposition to healing.. I'm the oldest in the family but my siblings were dealt health issues... they varied so much my GP won't even consider them as possible health issues for me..  Same as my parents and grandparents..  Every one had a different ailment, the only gain there was no arthritis or cancers through the family tree...

No potential causal links. Bloods are OK, heart is normal, no arthritis and never broken a bone and don't bruise.. In 50 years of work I only had 1/2 day off and never had the flu.. Father and mother the same.  I worked 4 minutes from home for 25 years, and then 20 minutes the next 30 years. I didn't have to drive in peak times so I eliminated the risk of an accident.. Smiley Happy That's always the question when you participate in questionnaires. "How old are you physically ?".... 9 years younger at the moment.

Not genetically built for speed but endurance. Elsewhere, I have posted about Vo2. When I did my cardiologist planned stress test a few years ago they kept me on the treadmill longer because I was getting extra oxygen...

So, that's my qualifying healing speed and the only thing that worried the doctors at the hip op was that I had never had surgery before or any anesthetic ( I was 74 then), and that I have a very slow heart rate. So they tested me for those issues beforehand.. They were very thorough...

@CaptSmash wrote:

I was lucky enough to be back in the gym on the elliptical in 3 months. I guess I should consider myself lucky. I think recovery time must be a very individual thing!! I appreciate these reply's since it gives me a feel for how everyone else did!!  - Kevin

"Keep Buggering on"   - Winston Churchill

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@CaptSmash How have you been doing since your surgery?  Moving around more now?

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I had an anterior THR about 13 months ago and did very well but still get an achey hip after hitting the elliptical at times. Also sitting in one position for a long time might make it a bit cranky. I was able to go up an down stairs the first day after surgery and was able to drive in about two weeks even though my surgical leg was the one I brake with (Only short distances). Also back to work after only two weeks off (Desk job).  Medical Technology these days is amazing!! - Kevin

Best Answer

I think people who are used to physical activity have certain expectations of our bodies.. always. no matter what the situation is we try to push things along because we always have. At times we end up making things more difficult for ourselves. the 10 pounds can be reduced through diet and you are doing great with activity - at least I think so. Lots of people would be more cautious and maybe look for reasons not to do something instead of reasons to push through. celebrate what you can do and with time the rest will come along too. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili wrote:

Wow!! That hits it right on the head!! All of the years of Rugby, Hoops, Softball etc has conditioned me to attack a rehab and that's not the best thing after this type of surgery. Tough to figure out weight loss since its such and individual thing. Becoming more detailed about logging my food and looking at macros seems to be helping. Also trying to stay one step ahead of the inevitable arthritis issues!!

- Kevin 

Best Answer

it’s been six months and one week since hip replacement surgery, anterior, right hip. I took a really hard fall and it has taken a long time. Be patient, be careful, and take it one day at a time. I have great days and also have days when I have to get lots of rest. I have graduated from my walker to a cane. Swimming has helped me more than any other exercise. I’ve worked up from five to ten minutes on the treadmill (after having gotten used to doing an hour before my fall) but I’m grateful to be making progress slowly but surely. I have discovered something that is great for me. My husband and I are big pro wrestling fans. I heard of DDPY Yoga by Diamond Dallas Page   He recovered from a broken back which inspired him to “repair” other wrestlers. Now DDPY has spread to many injured people. He begins with chair workouts that progress to full recovery and beyond. I know if he can fix wrestlers he can repair a lady like me! There’s a trial period on the app, I did that to be sure that it wasn’t too much for my ability. I hope you try it because I’m glad I did. 

Best Answer
0 Votes