Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting back to fitness levels

I was doing great - running, walking, super steady with progress and then I got hurt at work. I am not cleared for normal activity but was told I can do anything unless it hurts - if it hurts I need to step back, rest and then slowly increase.  It is all so unmotivating.  

I have found alternative exercises but none gave me the rush that running gave me. I am limited too because I am not part of a gym or pool.  

How do you get over not being able to do what you were doing and take steps backward?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I don't have experienced it in the way that you are now. However, when I cannot do as much as I want to and get frustrated by that or have to take a step back for some reason, I typically do yoga. While it is good for the body, it really works for me to accept things.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

The serenity to accept the thing we cannot change is highly important in all aspects of life. 🙂 

I have arthritis in my knees, it's been impacting me since I was 11, so I understand the frustration of having to take a step back to recover. Over the years, the key has been to stay positive, be creative about what I can and can't do, accept that it will take time, but never give up. Had I given up, I wouldn't be running today, I probably wouldn't even be walking. Being diagnosed with arthritis at an early age and being told you may not be able to walk without a brace in a few years, was devastating news. I fell victim to the brace a few times when the pain was terrible, but found it really limited my ability to move, which worsen my knees over time, so found a path thru movement to strengthen the muscle around the weak joints and have since never looked back. I still have days after long walks, hike, runs, that my knees scream, so they get lite movement for a few days, but I always keep moving one way or another. I know the rush a good running, but if you can't do that, make the most of what you can do and remember it's all part your journey back. All good things time patience and effort. 

Best of luck for a full recovery.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

@MagsOnTheBeach 

Two things to keep in mind:

1. Don't look at it as a step back. It's a sidestep. You are injured, and have found workaround exercises. Good for you!

2. While you are recuperating from an injury, intensity is not your friend. The last thing you want is to aggravate the injury or re-injure yourself. Think of it as forming a new fitness base. Forming bases take some time.

@MarciM, have you tried neoprene knee sleeves? My patellas love me since using them.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@MagsOnTheBeach I feel you too. I have that planter whateveritis in my feet and it restricts how often I can run because the pain after is not worth it. So I leave it to Saturday morning to shake off Friday night and prepare for Saturday night. The rest of the time I walk and I walk as fast as I can with weights for miles. I mean miles. It takes longer but the end result is the same. I also lift at the gym to give my feet a break one or two days depending on the abuse I heap upon them. Its taking care of what hurts so you can heal - its not a step back or anywhere really. It's just different.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer