Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started

I'm a 66 year old woman taking control of my health and fitness.  I've just gotten a fitbit alta, and I'd like to get on a program of exercise, but all the challenges I see look too difficult for me (I've been sedentary, had knee replacement, etc.).  Is there a way I can get an exercise program that will start with real baby steps?  Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@mythlady wrote:

I'm a 66 year old woman taking control of my health and fitness.  I've just gotten a fitbit alta, and I'd like to get on a program of exercise, but all the challenges I see look too difficult for me (I've been sedentary, had knee replacement, etc.).  Is there a way I can get an exercise program that will start with real baby steps?  Thanks.

My serious answer is to start with real baby steps. By this, I mean start with the number of steps you do now and maybe try to add 10 or 20 steps a day. 

If you ever feel more than a little tired, reduce your steps. If you feel pain, take a day or two off.

At this point, it may be best to compare yourself only to yourself. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can change all the goals in FitBit to what suits you (steps, stairs etc. etc.). As @GershonSurge suggested, set them to your current level to begin with. Then start increasing them slowly over time.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree go out for a short walk and increase when you can.

There are also a lot of chair exercises you can do. Go to YouTube and search for them

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your replies and ideas.  Since changing the sheets on my king size bed is an aerobic activity for me Smiley Frustrated, I agree that I need to take extreme baby steps. I'm taking a few days to see what my normal activity is, then I'll start to increase it.

Best Answer