Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gym clothes for heavy sweating

I work very hard at cardio and I sweat buckets. My gym clothes get drenched and they take a long time to dry out. They are advertised as being sweat wicking, but does anyone recommend any tops and shorts that can deal with lots of sweat? (I am a man). Or is it just a fact of life that my clothes will get very wet?

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

I have MSX Polyester shirts and Nike Polyester shorts with a polyester mesh liner, and they do an excellent job of pulling the sweat away from me and evaporating it into the air. They dry very quickly, and don't stay wet very long.

Best Answer

I ran for almost 2 hours today in higher temperatures and very high humidity here in Florida. My mostly polyester "moisture wicking" running shorts and singlet were thoroughly soaked well before the end of my run. This type of clothing does work much better than other materials - ie, 'cotton is rotten' (for exercising), but moisture wicking fabrics can only do so much. After runs like this, these type clothes do dry out noticeably within 30 minutes, but I immediately change into a dry tee shirt to feel more comfortable. I wear a sweatband/visor on my head to help control dripping sweat into my eyes. I also sit on a towel if I have to drive home. If I was working out in a gym, would frequent toweling off and throwing a towel down where I'm working out help? Sorry, but I think if you are working out strenuously for a long time, your clothes are gonna get wet. Moisture wicking apparel will help reduce that effect some, but not all of course. 

Best Answer

I am a girl and on run days, I sweat more than a man. My clothes are soaked through no matter what I wear. I just take it as a badge of honor that I worked my behind off and that's the way it ends. I do change into a dry tshirt and sit on a towel if the run was at the gym for the ride home. I have worn it all and tried it all. For me, its just the way it is.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Totally agree with @emili.  Also female, I sweat like nobodie's business when I run.  I sweat through my clothes and the same as emili, I take it as a badge of honor that I can.  It wasn't that long ago that I couldn't put that much effort though. 

Best Answer

Old fashion cotton gym clothes will just get full of sweat and stay wet for many hours.

Quck Dry, wicking clothes, take a little longer to get soaked.  It helps if they are skin tight.  Loose quck dry clothes get soaked quickly.

However the more your exercise, even the quick dry can't keep up.  Maybe if you worked out someplace hot, and very dry.  Like Salt Lake City. 

My quick dry clothes get soaked about 30-45 minutes into a 90 minute power walk.  The last 30 minutes sweat will be dripping off my clothes.

The only difference to cotton, is about 30 minutes after I stop waling my shirt is dry.  Shorts take a while longer.

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I knew that there is a solution - I'll move to Salt lake City! But I guess taking it a badge of honour is the right way to go. Working hard enough to sweat this much is a fairly new thing for me.

Best Answer

I sweat a ton playing basketball on a regular basis.  I've found that layering clothes helps a ton in the sweat and ultimate chafing issue.  I will either wear a tight wicking shirt overlayed with a cotton jersey tank or a cotton tank undershirt under a loose wicking shirt.  

While I'm still soaked at the end of the day, it takes noticeably longer to get there.

Best Answer

I just want to revive this thread because I too am now sweating more than my cotton clothes can absorb. I sweat off 3lbs of water in a 1-hour run and do my clothes ever get drenched. I may need to buy some sweat wicking clothes but I'm unsure if those brand names like Nike & Under Armour have my size. It really sucks to be wearing wet clothes while running but at least it indicates that I am working hard to burn the calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I live in South Florida where it is hot and humid, even before the sun comes up.  When I walk my dogs, 10 minutes into a walk I'm starting to sweat.  So on a 5K run, I'm drenched and look like I've been in the shower.  

There's only so much those "wicking" working out clothes can do.  Buy what fits you comfortably so you can perform your workouts as needed and sweat your heart out.  It's not the end of the world!

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I am sweating so much during my 1-hour runs that my socks & shoes are wet. Does anybody use 2 pairs of running shoes and alternate each dry pair of shoes for their run?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah you definitely have to lose the cotton and get a technical fabric instead. Cotton will just hang onto the sweat and get heavy and feel terrible. And keeping that sweat on your skin is bad for your skin, too.

Look for something "wicking" and something with mesh panels to help keep you cool. I am a horseback rider, and we are all about the wicking of the sweat. Smiley LOL

As for shoes - if you're sweating so much that your shoes and socks are soaked, definitely have a couple spares (that fit well/are comfortable and sturdy - i.e. not lawn mowing shoes) to swap out. You don't want to run or exercise in damp shoes.

Best Answer

Experia socks.  I can be drenched in sweat but my feet stay dry.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Coolmax next to skin, cotton over that.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree, sportswear made of cotton quickly gets wet, dries for a long time, and is not suitable for sports. In this case, sportswear made of synthetics copes well. As for me, I buy myself special sportswear made of synthetics and feel great. By the way, the transition to a more or less healthy diet helped me a lot not to sweat much in the gym. At least, I eat as little fast food as possible. And I started eating more fruits and vegetables, making healthy delicious smoothies. So, Instead of sugar, I use honey or stevia. And it works. And after sports, I prefer to take a shower and dress nicely to spend the evening with friends. Check this link (lilylulufashion.com), your girlfriend or wife should like these outfits.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a woman and I sweat just as much, it's annoying

Best Answer
0 Votes

My husband has the same problem, I think he tried every possible gym clothes. I understand you both because I also go to the gym and deal with excessive sweat 🙂 Choose workout gear that'll let your skin breathe. For me I found these https://lexmetics.com/collections/clothing/products/lexi-gym-jogs , but as for my husband I haven't found anything. What helps him is also applying powder to the areas where he sweats the most, you find it in stores or on the internet. He also avoids to workout in heat. But there's not so much that you can do dear 😞 Just always wash your clothes after the workout, apply powder and stay hydrated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see many advises here since I tend to sweat a lot as well. I always carry a little towel in order to wipe the sweat from the place I workout on. I'll need to get one of those clothes you guys mentioned above.

I'll keep track of this thread since you guys have great solutions for this issue that some of us suffer hahaha.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Check out www.uhill-life.com

A new active wear company with unique and cool design leggings and tops. You wont be disappointed!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ulife Excellent. Thank you so much for sharing this information! 😀

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes