Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gym question - Planet Fitness vs Anytime Fitness

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either Planet Fitness or Anytime Fitness?

I have a situation where I spend most of my time in one, and some in another.  I really don't want two gym memberships, especially one I'll only use 2-4 days a month.

So my choices are limited to either Anytime Fitness or Planet Fitness.  The likely locations I'd exercise at, Anytime Fitness seems to have better reviews.

I"m to the point I'm going to have to join a gym soon.  I've lost 75 lbs so far, and I'm going to probably have to up my exercise at some ponit.  Plus Fall, and Winter are coming, and sunset is getting earlier and earlier, and daylight savings in only 3 months away... 

So if anyone has experience with either gym, please leave me a comment about your experience. 

I used to be a member of Bally Total Fitness, and before that when they were President's and first lady's.  I'm kind of glad I didn't keep my Platimum membership since all of the clubs have closed in Houston!

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

I have been with Planet Fitness for over a year now.  I really enjoy the no gymtimidation idea.  There are people there on all fitness levels.  People who are just started all the way up to people that look to be 5% fat.  Personal trainers are available at every gym to show you how to use machines or help you work out a personal routine should you chose.  They base it off what you want to do and how much time you have to devote to it.  You can meet with a personal trainer as many times as you wish.

I have the black pass which is $20.00/ month with a $39.00 membership fee once a year.  You do have to do a 1 year membership for the first year, but after that it is month to month.  Which is not at all bad for a gym.  Considering the local YMCA  is at least double that and you still have a year to year membership.  With my black pass, I get unlimited tanning, use of any Planet Fitness in the nation and can bring a guest with me each time I workout. Bonus if you travel, they are all over the nation so you should be able to find one and not miss a work out.   If you want to bring a significant other with you each time, this is ideal as it's kind of a two for one. With a teenage daughter and mother who said they may want to go with, I popped for this one right away.  Plus, I do tanning in the winter to keep up my Vitamin D, without it, I get a little crabby.

I believe the silver pass is $10.00/ month. I know you can't bring a guest and I am pretty sure you can only go to your local gym.  Tanning is also not included.  I am not sure about the training services with the silver pass. 

In general, all the gyms I have been to have the same equipment, which is pretty much all you would need.  Also, they have massage chairs and grape tootsie rolls, because after a good workout you deserve a treat!  Once a month they also do pizza and bagels (different days, pizza in the pm, bagels in the AM) should you want to partake. 

Perks: Bagels, Pizza, Grape Toosie Rolls, Massage Chairs, Personal Trainer, Classes, Super Clean Facility (I have never been there where one of the attendants weren't cleaning something at some point during my workout).  The facilities I have been to, all the staff is incredibly nice.

Downfalls: they only have Smith machines for lifting... They are not great on the back unless you know what you are doing. I had to consult with my chiropractor for deadlift and squats.  BUSY! I found that the worst time to go in my area is after work (4pm-6pm).  Expect to wait a little for weight machines during this time.  But there is always enough cardio equipment to go around. Some machines are not available.  I have a workout that has a prone leg lift, and my local doesn't have that machine.  I am not sure if others do or not.  But that is about all I have seen that they don't have other than just a regular bench or squat rack.

All and All, I am very happy with PF!

Best Answer

I agree with the review @JamieS_Wisco gave. I have been going to PF since February and it is pretty close to what he describes. They are all independently owned so your experience may differ slightly. I don't like that they do not have free weights beyond dumbbells. But their machine variety is pretty good. I think the best thing about them is that they are always open so it fits every schedule.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I love Planet Fitness and have only missed going there one morning since June 19th.

The trainer is excellent and comes with the $10 or $20 membership. 

If you prefer free weights, the barbells only go to 60 pounds, but the dumbbells go to 70 pounds. The Smith Machines go much higher. Personally, I use a mix of free weights, machines and body weight exercises. 

They have top notch treadmills, ellipiticals, stair climbers, bicycles, and some other stuff I haven't looked at.

The biggest complaints in reviews seem to come from people not understanding the contract. First of all, the money has to come from a checking account instead of a credit card. Many people don't like this. I have a small account I use for things like this. 

The $10 membership is month to month, but you have to cancel by the 10th of the month. The money is taken from your account about a week later. There is a $29.95 (or maybe $39.95) annual membership fee taken in October. 

The $20 membership is for one year. If you want to quit earlier, there is a $55 buyout. After one year, it's month to month like the $10 membership.

Best Answer

ANYtime Fitness beats planet fitness hands down

planet fitness is cheaper and you can see why, you pay for what you get

Best Answer

I know my weight loss doctor loves Planet Fitness. She told me the gym is geared to the more casual fitness enthusiasts, as oppose to the weight lifter type, who wants to *throw around iron*.

There are several ones in my area. Personally, I didn't like the atmosphere, but that is just me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How does anytime fitness beat planet fitness?  Anytime fitness membership is almost $40 a month, I pay $10 a month at planet fitness. I would much rather save $30 a month to use a smith machine.  Other than that planet fitness has everything you need. 

Best Answer

Well 1 way Anytime Fitness could appeal to some people is the Anytime part of it.. I know in some areas PF is 24 hours, but that is not the case here.. here is is only 5am-11pm M-th and 5am-9PM on Fri, 7am-7pm on the weekends.. Most of the times it's ok for me, but those weekend and friday hours can put a crunch on getting there.. 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sure you're coming from a good place but your review is less than helpful. You can see how almost everyone else on this thread gave very detailed explanations on why they feel planet fitness is better than anytime fitness. You, on the other hand, just said that they (the other reviewers) were all wrong, without giving any argument as to why.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Neither. You have done well so far. Now you should join a black iron gym. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been going to Planet Fitness for three years.  I have found this gym to be such a wonderful experience.  The people that go are serious about working out.  The equipment is always being cleaned and up to par.  The attendants are serious about cleanliness and attending to gym members questions and concerns.  They usually have a breakfast and dinner every month,free to the members.  Breakfast consists usually of coffee and a snack.  Dinner is often pizza.  

I've found the staff extremely positive; helpful in so many ways.  Attentive with all your questions and needs.  Another highlight is the cost.  Can't believe the price is just $10 a month and if one wants to upgrade to the Black Card for an additional $11.oo a month plus tax, there are discounts on purchasing snacks, drinks, and other purchases for those members.  The hydro and muscle relaxation chairs are top notch.  I really don't think you can do much better with price, equipment, access to the relaxation chairs.  I forgot to mention those who indulge in tanning, a machine is also available.  Hope this helps with your decision.

Best Answer

I'm a member at Anytime. It's within 2 miles of my home, so I can walk or run there if it's convenient. They have a very extensive collection of machinery as well as the Smith, a dead lift corner, and vertical racks for standing or bench press. I've been a member for over a year and there are no jerks. I've found the people to be nice. I was a member at a failed gym that had serious competitive bodybuilders but they weren't jerks. Most were personal trainers and mine wound up with me at anytime. I have surprised some people who haven't seen me since I became more serious with the trainer and they mentioned the difference. I wasn't overweight but needed some direction and technique and the trainer did that. It was important to exercise so I got the most out of it for the time spent and also avoided injury.

I'd recommend my anytime location. They used to have the most gawdawful rap hip-hop noise, but after I had a gentle chat with the manager it stopped. Don't know why loud music needs to accompany exercise, I'm trying to focus on what I'm doing and find it annoying.

Peter Flynn
Best Answer

My vote is planet fitness.  I agree $10 month is a good deal. Lots of equipment and its a nice to laid back community for average gym time.  I bet either is a good deal. ask for a free week pass. dont be afraid to try both gyms. it might come down to having a friend at one of them. good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

No experience with either.  Work out at a local rec center, they have everything I need plus more.  

Best Answer
0 Votes