Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble with the hot sticky, humid weather

Having an awful time being so tired.   Sticky, hot and humid weather getting my steps in!  Help!  Any suggestions?  I walk inside storesl

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I walk here in Houston, home of hot and humid.  I try early in the morning, or in the evenings.  I still go out during the day sometimes for steps.

Best Answer

It's exactly kind of weather I experience every time when I visit the Philippines. It is hard to workout outdoors. Furthermore, I strongly dislike that feeling as if I was wrapped in the cobweb :D. Even walking may be challenging ( you will probably notice that your resting HR will go up in such weather ). There's not much you can do about it except for staying well hydrated, protect your head, don't get sunburn and often step into the airconditioned environment ( that's what I do ). I don't cease being active and even this year I've done lots of hiking and cycling. It really matters what clothes you wear ( clothes must be breathable, providing good ventilation ). Even when it's hot you don't want to expose too much body as it's too easy to get a severe sunburn ( that happened to me the very first time ). From the activities I particularly liked was cycling. It's because when you speed up you get sort of free AC facing you. Even in very hot and humid weather, I didn't find cycling unpleasant. Apart from that, I've done lots of indoor workouts ( visited climbing gyms, continued with my bodyweight strengthening program etc. - all that requires working AC 😄 ).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find a bandana that has been wet with cool water and wrung out tied lose around my neck helps more than anything.  There seems to be an epicenter on the back of my neck that responds and helps keep me cool.  Hope that might help you some.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can get up real early and walk before sunrise.

Otherwise, put on sunscreen, drink some water, and embrace the suck.  Dress in lightweight clothing and accept that you're going to be drenched in sweat, then reward yourself with a cool shower when you're done.

I've found that driving around with the windows down and A/C off and just doing the above acclimated me to the heat here (Savannah) and it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to.

Best Answer

There are lots and lots of indoor walking videos on YouTube. Check out Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, and Lucy Wyndham-Read (who does walking/toning videos), for starters.

If you have access to a gym, maybe hop on the treadmill for 20 to 30 minutes. Bringing along an iPod with a playlist makes it less boring.

I live in DC, and we're in the middle of a heat wave, so I feel your pain.

Best Answer