Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate When Walking

When I go out for a brisk walk my heart rate stays in the blue range, usually around 75 bpm up from my resting rate in the 50s. In order to get my heart rate into the yellow I have to run or jog. Is this normal? I am 43 6 foot and 245 pounds with a fat mid section. I have had a heart stress test and EKG in the past and all was normal. My heart rate while sleeping is in the 40s. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

You may just have a  naturally low resting HR, but it is a bit lower than the 60-100 bpm discussed in this article on on the American Heart Association website, so it is probably worth a discussion with your doctor.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I am sure you would have said if you were, but are you on any medication that has beta blockers? When I took them my HR was always really low. In order for me to get my HR into cardio, I had to full out run and even then it wouldn't ever go to peak. Once I stopped, everything is as it should be. If you aren't, then I completely agree with Scott, I would have another discussion with your doctor, couldn't hurt..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm finding similar.  I hardly ever even get into fat burning range, let alone cardio or peak (even when I'm at the gym and absolutely blasting it).  It does seem a bit discouraging at times!

For info, I'm 39, 5'7" and 136.  My RHR is generally around 58.  I figured it's just low to start with so I'm always going to struggle to reach the dizzy heights of peak Smiley Tongue

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can set custom heart rate zones if that helps you?

https://blog.fitbit.com/max-heart-rate/

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will bring it up at my next doctors visit.

On a related note, I recently bought a Versa to replace my Blaze and have found that I tend to wear it a notch tighter because it seems more comfortable than the Blaze was. Anyway, it is showing my heartrate elevated slightly more throughout the day and especially while jogging. I am thinking my old watch wasn't making good contact while jogging.

That being said, my resting heartrate is still showing around 57.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My first post here...I saw this topic and have gone through the same thing myself....

Beta blocker for blood pressure.

Mine slowly brought my resting heart rate down into the mid 40's.  I had no energy.  I gained weight.  I couldn't get my heart rate into my burn zone.  My doctor kept saying everything is fine...but it wasn't.  I stopped the beta blocker, changed doctors, and found out the meds were masking an afib issue.

My new doctor is treating me for my issues, listens to my concerns, and now I have a 70 heartrate, my weight is normal, I have enough energy to workout, and I'm healthier than I have been in many years.

Sorry for the long post, but it has been a life changing experience for me.  Be your own advocate.  A change of meds could mean a huge change in your quality of life.

Good luck on your journey!   Joe

Best Answer