Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate spiking

Hi Team

I was recently diagnosed with COVID and I've been trying to regain my fitness after the symptoms of afternoon fatigue and headaches. I've noticed on my regular runs that my heart rate has been spiking above my peak, sometimes as high as 180 - 200 bpm. I don't feel sick or completely out of breath, but my heart is racing. My max for my age (60 yo) is about 160 apparently. I've been to see my GP and he has referred me to get a blood test, Echocardiogram and 24 hr ECG Monitor. 

Has anyone else experienced this after COVID and what was the outcome? I'm concerned but at the same time not overly worried. The GP said that is little research on the after-effects and he has other patients with similar symptoms. I'm just interested to share this and seeing what others have experienced. Keep well and stay safe!! Mark

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Glad you saw your GP, @MDM62 . It will be interesting to see what others in this thread have to say.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MDM62 have you verified that 190-200 is actually real? Sounds very inflated and could be a watch error. Don't be bothered about your max HR, the formula 220-AGE is old and debunked. Good however that you went to see GP. 

I must say that I had a similar worry as I had an impression as if my HR got higher during my runs (not spikes but higher overall, for the same performance my HR seemed to be shooting much higher) after I had covid (mid-December). But like you, I was feeling ok so decided to ignore it and continue running. Now, having more data and looking back at a couple of weeks (pre-covid, covid, and post-covid) it looks like it's all just in my head. My max HR went up to 190 (from 188, and according to the formula it should be 180) but looking at trends of max HR, average HR, and resting HR it's all as stable as usual. In my case, it was probably just post-covid fear of complications. I also heard how covid may affect the heart so I guess it got me worried.

Do all the tests and see whether you have anything to worry about. Covid is still a very new thing for scientists and there is a lot we don't know about it so it's better safe than sorry. Like @SunsetRunner I'm also very curious about development of this topic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your comments and feedback @t.parker & @SunsetRunner I'll let you know how I go.

Best Answer