Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heartrate reading after Illness

I’m trying to understand if my HR reading during exercise has decreased due to an error with my Fitbit device (Charge 5) or because of my recent cold.

I had a 48 hour mild fever with usual cold symptoms Friday and Sat. On Sunday I felt better and went for my usual workout (vigorous uphill walking) and while I felt like I was in a high cardio range (wouldn’t be able to hold a convo, pace is at where it usually is), my heartrate monitor showed me at 30 bpm below where I would typically be when my pace and breath felt like they did. 

Same thing happened this morning. I was even pushing my 5 year old in the stroller uphill, which is often a more intense workout. And again, pace and breathing felt like high cardio, but Fitbit showed HR barely in fat burn and 30 BPM below usual. 

I feel like this contradictory to what would happen due to illness (shouldn’t it be that during less intense effort my heartrate is higher than usual?)

hoping someone can let me know if it’s my body or my Fitbit!

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

This is a tough one. When I have a fever, my heart rate goes up but since I often am weaker, it feels like I am working harder than I am.  I suggest you do a manual pulse check and match that to your watch. To check your pulse over your carotid artery, place your index and middle fingers on your neck to the side of your windpipe. When you feel your pulse, look at your watch and count the number of beats in 15 seconds. Multiply this number by 4 to get your heart rate per minute.

Best Answer

Please keep in mind that optical heart rate monitors, especially on the wrist, are prone to inaccuracies. I agree that the same workout should probably be a bit harder after being sick with a fever. I'm guessing that the issue is that your Fitbit was having difficulties giving a solid HR reading.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer
0 Votes

HR tends to be higher when one is sick, so I agree to do a manual reading to see if the fitbit is where the error lies. One other possibility. you think you are better, but your body disagrees. so you feel out of breath and more tired, but really your HR is where it should be, you are just not really up to your norms... 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili is spot on. Even though we feel better, the stress on our bodies from the from illness can linger a while longer, and we can tire more easily.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer
0 Votes