Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Bad Stomach cramps after running 5-6k (okay during it) why & suggestions to help please!

ANSWERED
  • Help! Over the last couple of months I have been running the couch to 5k (& onward) with my daughter, aged 15. After the run is over she has chronic stomach cramps that leave her practically in tears. We have tried not eating before & eating 2+ hours before running, but this doesn’t seem to make a difference. We are both quite new runners.  Can anyone suggest why this is happening and things we might do to stop it. Many thanks. 
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

is it cramps or is it a stitch in her side? if its a stitch its her breathing and posture. if its cramps.. well that is gas. when we move we "shake" things up inside (very technical term) and it causes some people to have gas, bowl movement or pee. For women it is usually gas and pee. She can try taking a gas pill an hour before the run or she can pass gas as she runs... you are her mom.. you have seen and heard worse from her. If its not gas, I would consult with a physician just in case for a more technical explanation...

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

is it cramps or is it a stitch in her side? if its a stitch its her breathing and posture. if its cramps.. well that is gas. when we move we "shake" things up inside (very technical term) and it causes some people to have gas, bowl movement or pee. For women it is usually gas and pee. She can try taking a gas pill an hour before the run or she can pass gas as she runs... you are her mom.. you have seen and heard worse from her. If its not gas, I would consult with a physician just in case for a more technical explanation...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much for your reply. It isn’t like a stitch.

Gas would make sense, after the terrible cramps she usually has to poop and then things gradually ease.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I’m off to buy some gas tablets!

Mrs B

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Velobird I had few uncomfortable runs like that and it thought me a few things:

- You have to prepare your body for the run, take your time and don't ignore it

- Warm up ( probably if you use 5k coach you do that anyway )

- Do not run with a stomach full of food

- Do not run with a stomach full of water ( this is even worse than food! )

- Empty the bowels before the run ( especially if it's a morning run! ) - one time, when I attended a 5k race I just didn't do that this one time - despite good result the last 500m was a nightmare, stomach cramps after that weren't pleasant too

- Other things which caused post-run discomforts: worn out shoes, bad socks ( before I never thought sock matter! )

- Work on the technique - bad technique will affect you after long distance runs - shin splints, back pain, abdominal pain, overall pain 😄 Pain up to some degree is a good thing but only if it's a result of doing things right 🙂

- And last but not least - 3xF - Too Fast, Too Far, Too Furious - a mistake made by beginners but not only. I've been there, I took a painful lesson, I learned 🙂 Sometimes it's better to take a step back.

This is just from my experience but may give you some hints and ideas to adjust the running routine to make it more comfortable for your daughter. The gas related pain usually it's not just stomach but it's like a painful "belt" around your belly. At least in my case. Incredibly unpleasant and can get very painful.

Also, mind that such pain may be a result of a medical condition so if it persists then do not ignore it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

The 3x F definitely are sounding alarm bells, as are the shoes (we are currently shopping for new ones). The socks, stomach full of water & the emptying of bowels are also things we will take on board to our routine.

Many thanks for your trouble.

Kind regards, Mrs B

You have to prepare your body for the run, take your time and don't ignore it

- Warm up ( probably if you use 5k coach you do that anyway )

- Do not run with a stomach full of food

- Do not run with a stomach full of water ( this is even worse than food! )

- Empty the bowels before the run ( especially if it's a morning run! ) - one time, when I attended a 5k race I just didn't do that this one time - despite good result the last 500m was a nightmare, stomach cramps after that weren't pleasant too

- Other things which caused post-run discomforts: worn out shoes, bad socks ( before I never thought sock matter! )

- Work on the technique - bad technique will affect you after long distance runs - shin splints, back pain, abdominal pain, overall pain Pain up to some degree is a good thing but only if it's a result of doing things right

- And last but not least - 3xF - Too Fast, Too Far, Too Furious - a mistake made by beginners but not only. I've been there, I took a painful lesson, I learned Sometimes it's better to take a step back.

This is just from my experience but may give you some hints and ideas to adjust the running routine to make it more comfortable for your daughter. The gas related pain usually it's not just stomach but it's like a painful "belt" around your belly. At least in my case. Incredibly unpleasant and can get very painful.

Also, mind that such pain may be a result of a medical condition so if it persists then do not ignore it.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes