Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher resting heart rate as pregnant

ANSWERED

Hi everyone! 

I am pregnant at a early stage, only 5 weeks, but my resting heart rate has raised with 20bpm already. 

Is there any way to tell fitbit I am pregnant and not suddenly out of shape?

Secound question: since I now have quite high pulse all the time, fitbit tells me I am in fatburn alot of the time. Today for 8 hours (have been working out and walking outdoors, but still..!) I was also peaking just by walking on the treadmill today, nomal pace.

Is that right?

Will I burn more calories during my pregnancy due to higher resting pulse? 

Hope someone knows!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I suspect your calorie burn may be slightly increased as a result of the higher heart rate. I also suspect it's probably another reason pregnant women are adviced to up their calorie intake a bit, the main reason obviously being there's a tiny human growing inside youSmiley Happy

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Congratulations on your pregnancySmiley Happy

It's no surprise that your heart rate has gone up. This is very normal. A normal resting heart rate for a non-pregnant human is generally said to be from 60-100 bpm (but doesn't have to be).

Fitbit actually has a blog article about pregnancy, so I urge you to check it out.

If you have any worries, I recommend you take these up with your doctor.

Most things (especially medical advice) on the internet should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you very much!:)

I read the article, but did not find an answer to my question about if there is an increased calorie burn when my resting pulse goes up. 

Or maybe I missed something? English is not my motherlanguage 🙂

Hope someone knows the answer 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suspect your calorie burn may be slightly increased as a result of the higher heart rate. I also suspect it's probably another reason pregnant women are adviced to up their calorie intake a bit, the main reason obviously being there's a tiny human growing inside youSmiley Happy

Best Answer

yes, you will burn more if your heart rate is higher. not much more but some yes. this is why heavier people have a higher calorie burn than lighter ones. congratulations on your little bundle!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thank you so much! 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been on the fertility struggles for over a year and constantly tried to decipher every symptom I had to see if I was pregnant, including my resting heart rate. I just missed my period and found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant and my resting heart rate is absolutely unchanged. I do exercise regularly and my resting HR is around 57.

I hope this helps to someone, because I sure googled a lot and stressed about when resting heart rate might go up before a missed period and couldn't find any specific examples.

Tracking my symptoms didn't help either, because they also felt like symptoms before my period. My takeaway was, there was no way for me to tell if I'm pregnant before my missed period.

Best Answer