Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Elliptical?

One of my favorite workouts at the gym is the elliptical. I normally warmup on the treadmill, then do a more intense workout on the elliptical, followed by free weights. But, I'm thinking about maybe getting a elliptical for home. I have a treadmill for days when I don't have time to go to the gym, or don't feel like it, but that alone doesn't provide a really good workout.  It seems that if I have both a treadmill & elliptical at home, the 13-mile drive to gym could be eliminated, especially with winter coming.

I am wondering about the quality & durability of home elliptical machines compared to the commercial ones at the gym, and if they give as good a workout. Any comments on home-base ellipticals, there level of quality, durability, exercise modes, etc.? I saw an advertisement for a Bowflex Max elliptical that looks really nice, but it is a pretty expensive piece of equipment.  Do you use an elliptical, at home or the gym? If so, what are your thoughts on buying one for home?  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

I bought one recently (like I've had it three days) and it was an expensive piece of equipment.  It's going to take me a while to get the full benefit out of it, but I looked at it as in an investment in my health.  I know I invested way more money in fast food  and/or take out lunches over the years.  I bought this: http://shop.truefitness.com/ellipticals/es-ellipticals/es700-elliptical primarily because I could buy it from someone that would deliver, set-up, and service if needed.  I did go and use it first, the most positive thing is the adjustable stride (16-27").  It will take me a while to see what I really think, but as someone who hasn't used an elliptical much in the past it seems to be a solid, well-built machine.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, @A_Lurker! That's the kind of information I'm looking for.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-LarryI find the best way to pick out exercise equipment is to go to a Store that carries them and get on them.

When I bought my treadmill I tried several until I picked the right one. Some didn't feel right to me. Its like buying a car. It needs to feel right if it doesn't you wont use it.

I would do the reseach on what people will tell you here. Then go and get on the ones you like best

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
I've used elliptical for years, and I've owned two. I sold mine about 2 years ago when we moved, and I don't like doing my cardio at the gym, so we're finally replacing it.
Things to consider:
1) get a machine that can handle your family's weight and cardio workouts. There are three of us in this house, averaging 30 minutes per day each of vigorous cardio. Frequent guests include some VERY heavy people, and they are likely to use our elliptical.
2) look for the heaviest flywheel you can get. The heavier the flywheel, the smoother the operation
3) multi-position handles are great. Ellipticals let you exercise your arms, and you should take advantage of that by using a variety of arm holds to work different muscles.
4) you usually have to choose between variable stride length and variable incline. Get variable incline. 20" stride length is ok for most people. You can vary your stride by standing tall, using high knees, dropping your butt back etc. The incline gives you great cardio in a variety of positions and helps to reduce knee strain.
5) make sure you can set up a couple of custom programs. When you start doing cardio intervals you'll appreciate this feature.
We're getting the Sole E98. It's a light commercial with a 32 lb flywheel and a 400 lb capacity. Variable incline and 20 levels of resistance. Expensive but it will get a lot of heavy use.
Hope this helps.

We're getting the Sole E98. It's a light commercial machine so it's very sturdy. It has a 400 lb capacity, which means I don't have to worry if guests decide to use it (my other ellipticals squeaked and wobbled if heavy people used them.) it has a 32 lb flywheel which means it gives a very smooth ride. It cost way too much money but
Best Answer
0 Votes
Whoops! Copy/paste disaster. 😀 Ignore that last paragraph.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the info, @Babygiraffe! Your post was really timely - Yesterday we were at the mall and I stopped in Dick's Sporting Goods to check out what there display of elliptical machines.  I tried out the Sole E95S, and loved it.  The only differences I could find between the E95 and E95S were the power adjustable foot petals and a slightly heavier flywheel.   So, for now, I've narrowed it down to be between the Sole E95S and the Bowflex M7.  The Sole App is supposed to interface with Fitbit, and the Bowflex doesn't have a similar capability, so that gives it an advantage.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Larry, If I remember correctly, the E95S has adjustable stride length but no incline.

It's just my opinion, but the incline feature is, for me, more important. I'm pretty tall, but my kids are 6'6" and 6'8". They can run well with a stride length of 20" and they also prefer the adjustable incline feature.

It's just my opinion, though. You should give the demo models in the store a serious workout so that you know what's best for you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, @Babygiraffe. I agree that the incline would be an important feature - I use that regularly on the ellipticals at the gym.  The E95S I tried at the store had powered incline from 0 to 40 degrees. I ran it up and down a little bit to test it out, but I didn't get anywhere near 40 degrees. Ha!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry Larry, did you buy an elliptical? If so, which model and how are you liking it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't purchased one yet, @Annabel398. I think I have narrowed it down to between a Bowflex Max Trainer M5 and a Sole E95 Elliptical. I am waiting for the post-Christmas sales to kick in before making a final decision and purchase though.

I use the Matrix Ellipticals at the gym three days a week, and really like the workout they give me. But, I spend an hour each day just driving to & from the gym.

Best Answer

Hey,USAF-Larry

Thank you for sharing your opinion .i understand you use treadmills and elliptical machine for your exercise.you're confusing about elliptical quality and durability. Recently i published difference between treadmills and elliptical machine. i think this blog will help you properly

Elliptical Machine vs Treadmill

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry wrote:

I am waiting for the post-Christmas sales to kick in before making a final decision and purchase though.

I've waited all year for elliptical prices to come down but they haven't really since I constantly check the price on fitness store websites. I pulled the trigger and bought a Precor EFX 222 as shown in the image below:

EFX_222__10360__97876.1520964527.jpg

It's an entry level elliptical costing just over $2100CDN. The heart rate chest strap was extra but having it really assists in gauging the intensity of a workout. The exercise machine I owned prior to the EFX 222 was a decent treadmill. The treadmill is going to kick the bucket soon so I decided to get the elliptical early. Having a home cardio machine definitely saves time and money that's for sure but just maintaining and utilizing the machine daily is the upkeep.

Best Answer

@KevinSpear wrote:

Can anyone recommend me the best product from the list mentioned in this site. [link to site operated by poster]

This "review" was written by ... you:

2019-02-11_0849.png

So why would you ask the question here, since you already know (based on your "review") what the best elliptical is? Let me guess: all products mentioned in the "review" include affiliate links to Amazon, so you have a vested interest in asking the question.

Looks like you haven’t read the Community GuidelinesPlease refrain from posting content that would constitute advertising, spam, or any other form of unauthorized solicitation.

For the reasons mentioned above, your post will most likely be removed (or at least edited) by a moderator.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes