Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

Speaking of what counts as a step and how some seem to post extremely high numbers day in and day out or in competitions has been a long sometimes passionate topic.

I think it's time to share the more or most unique methods people have used to up a step count.

Whether it's real or a "just wondering" method,  laughing is always important.  Hum, does that add steps?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is quite an undertaking to average 80k a day. I just got my 65k badge yesterday and I was very active from 630 am to 930 pm. That includes 4.5 hours on a treadmill. 2 hours walking in the shopping mall with my wife. Then a mile run/walk from a store to our house. To finish I had to pace/jog my living room for another 2.5 hours. Total on my tracker was 65100 steps. 530 active minutes. Over 34 miles. I have really comfortable sneakers with memory foam and still got huge blister on my toe. So I don't know how regular people can do that. Maybe Olympians.

Best Answer

@Gtkozik wrote:

That includes 4.5 hours on a treadmill. 2 hours walking in the shopping mall with my wife. Then a mile run/walk from a store to our house. To finish I had to pace/jog my living room for another 2.5 hours. 

Why would any rational human being do this??

Best Answer

Smiley LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really wanted that badge. 

Best Answer

@Gtkozik wrote:

It is quite an undertaking to average 80k a week. I just got my 65k badge yesterday and I was very active from 630 am to 930 pm. That includes 4.5 hours on a treadmill. 2 hours walking in the shopping mall with my wife. Then a mile run/walk from a store to our house. To finish I had to pace/jog my living room for another 2.5 hours. Total on my tracker was 65100 steps. 530 active minutes. Over 34 miles. I have really comfortable sneakers with memory foam and still got huge blister on my toe. So I don't know how regular people can do that. Maybe Olympians.

Holy cow..especially since sometimes the agony seems to appear a day or so later.

Hope you're doing ok:glowing_star:

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey thanks. I'm doing good. Got myself performance sneakers today. Taking a little break from heavy walking for couple of days.

Best Answer
Gtkozik: You are correct, soft tissue injury normally maximizes on the 3rd
day
Best Answer

HelenaFitbit:  I've trained for 2 marathons before Fitbit by running 6-7 miles 5 days a week and on Saturday I would do my long run increasing my mileage by 10% every week. One week prior to the Marathon I ran 22 miles.  I will assure anyone who reads this that I NEVER approached 80K steps in a day let alone on a daily basis.  I will believe anyone who claims they walk 80K steps a day on a daily basis when I see pigs fly!

Best Answer

Can you give us an explanation of what makes a good performance sneaker/trainer shoe.

I've found some great lacing variations for foot differences in Runner msg.  For example their style for high arches really made a difference in performance for me. Plus medical supply stores have great selections of activity specific insoles plus socks for issues like shin splint prevention or recovery.

Glad to hear you're pleased with your new sneaks👍

Happy trails☀

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Corney,

It's refreshing to see how different people manage their step achievements.  Thanks for all your helpful post.

Happy trails☀

Best Answer
0 Votes

@prc1977 wrote:

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

65 k in a day. 186 k over the week so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gershon wrote:

I've read about some ultra-marathoners that use a Fitbit. There are some superwalkers around that average 40 to 50 miles a day, and some even average more than that. 

I'll admit the number seems high, but I never discount the theory that the impossible is possible for some.

Most people average pretty close to 120 steps per minute walking and it would take 10 hours and 24 minutes to walk 75,000 paces. People average about 180 steps per minute running and it would take just under 7 hours to run the paces. 

Where do you fit breaks. Food, bathroom to name only necessities!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think about all of my fitness class instructors. If you run several classes a day because that's your job, and then do regular life stuff like run errands, it probably isn't that hard to achieve. But outside of fitness class instructors and marathoners, I don't see how it's sustainable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gtkozik wrote:

@Gershon wrote:

I've read about some ultra-marathoners that use a Fitbit. There are some superwalkers around that average 40 to 50 miles a day, and some even average more than that. 

I'll admit the number seems high, but I never discount the theory that the impossible is possible for some.

Most people average pretty close to 120 steps per minute walking and it would take 10 hours and 24 minutes to walk 75,000 paces. People average about 180 steps per minute running and it would take just under 7 hours to run the paces. 

Pooping is quick. Find a spot to hide, and sit in the toilet position with your butt a little lower, and it comes out quickly. I call this the Alpine Pooping position. The whole process doesn't take more than a minute.

If you are interested, there are some books written by ultra-marathoners on Amazon. Scott Jurek and Jennifer Pharr Davis ran about 48 miles a day while setting the record for the Appalachian Trail. Michael Ulrich described ordering two large pizza surpremes from Round Table Pizza while he was out on a run. He ate them on the run. 

Most people think ultra-marathoners run fast, but many go just a little faster than walking for much of the race. 

Having said all this, I think most on Fitbit 80,000 steppers are logging steps that aren't real steps. Many are logging activities, and I choose not to question them too often. Others have active dogs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

good morning Gershon,

love your comment on active dogs...mine is lazy so perhapd i need a hamster w a wheel

@GershonSurge wrote:

@Gtkozik wrote:

@Gershon wrote:

Pooping is quick. Find a spot to hide, and sit in the toilet position with your butt a little lower, and it comes out quickly. I call this the Alpine Pooping position. The whole process doesn't take more than a minute.

If you are interested, there are some books written by ultra-marathoners on Amazon. Scott Jurek and Jennifer Pharr Davis ran about 48 miles a day while setting the record for the Appalachian Trail. Michael Ulrich described ordering two large pizza surpremes from Round Table Pizza while he was out on a run. He ate them on the run. 

Most people think ultra-marathoners run fast, but many go just a little faster than walking for much of the race. 

Having said all this, I think most on Fitbit 80,000 steppers are logging steps that aren't real steps. Many are logging activities, and I choose not to question them too often. Others have active dogs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

@Gtkozik wrote:

@Gershon wrote:

Having said all this, I think most on Fitbit 80,000 steppers are logging steps that aren't real steps. Many are logging activities, and I choose not to question them too often. Others have  active dogs

Best Answer

i llove your active dog comment...my is lazy so perhaps i need a hamster with a wheel..

Best Answer

I am a busser, And on my 8 hour shifts i get 20k - 26k steps depending on the section they put me in. Its hard to imagine someone moving at such a pace for that long to reach 80k in a day & have it be an Average! But if thats the case your Steve Roger's

Best Answer
do the dogs wear the device?

Speedy
Best Answer