Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

Hi Corney,

Thanks for the response, and sorry for the confusion.  She also workouts out, walks 2 hours a day, and does an aerobics class.  That response was in reference to several messages above me citing the person was so upset about not getting any steps for cycling that she was ready to give it up.

It was simply a kind suggestion 🙂

Thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

REALLY!  I definitely don't have that issue.  I have an Alta, about to upgrade to the Alta HR, but my god.  I'll never want on that gives credit for steps I don't take.

Which one do you have?

~A

ps. Maybe the 'sensitivity level' on yours needs to be increased.  I saw that option within the settings.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TheKetoGoddess

When you reply to someone it can be helpful to tag them. When you reply to a post simply type @ and a list will pop up with the posters with the person you are replieing to at the top of that list.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

I did do 100k in a day in a challenge, but it did literally take me all day, I am by no means fit, so it is possible, but they would have to have nothing to do all day, everyday

as for the insane, probably, as I would suspect the amount of stress put on the ankles would be high if not extreme if they were to do it everyday and if they did, then I can not imagine the damage done and what they will be like when they are older

yes they could run it, but then they would have to be very fit

a postie walks, whereas the person doing the 80/100k would be at least jogging, considering I was jogging on the spot and it took me over 13hrs with rests etc, jogging speed is jogging speed regardless of health etc

100k at 2.5 steps per second would take just over 11hours non stop

Best Answer

In following the super high step count thread for quite a bit I've come believe I have developed a super power....Doubt.

Happy trails to all🍒

Best Answer
0 Votes
paso: Well I must agree, I've read posts from people explaining how Nurses,
meter readers, mail persons, dog walkers and even a cyclist who straps her
fitbit on her ankle can easily log 50-80K steps per day. Last weeks Time
magazine asked the question, " Is Truth Dead". My answer is a definite YES!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Your average is about the same as mine. Do you do any kind of cardio or just running? I was just wondering if your running,hiking,and work helps alone with maintaining or weight loss.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thats how I feel! I never get to sit down. I work all day long and when I get home the work does not stop. I normally dont sit down until 10PM and thats just sometimes! Im not sure how some people only reach 1,000-3,000 per day. I do that alone getting my kids prepared and out to school. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
eirippe: How many steps do you log everyday, every week, every week?
140K? Well that's far from 50K a day, everyday. I can accept 20K a day
since you seem very active, but you shouldn't judge people that only get
1-3K a day without knowing their situation, that sounds very elitist!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just broke 48,000 steps in one day today but from midnight and taking a couple of five minute breaks till 8:00 pm... I feel like a dang steam roller ran over my legs. It's possible if running all day but someone would end up passing out...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Billyx77 Once again I must agree, you have experienced how hard it is to
log 48K steps in one day and how you felt afterwards. 50-80K steps is hard
one day but day after day is just B.S. I feel this ongoing subject has run
it's course for me. People who claim they do it are only fooling
themselves. As a recent Time magazine asked the question, "Is Truth Dead",
my answer is YES!
Best Answer

Are you seriously that upset about my comment? And also who said I was judging anyone. I never named a specific person or persons. The question remains how a person could only get 1k-3k steps in a whole 24 hour period and actually be active utilizing their FitBit. It is fact that if you only take 1-3k you are not doing much of anything. I average around 130-140K a week and I take most of my steps working and engaging in household activities. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I doubt very many Fitbit users only average 1-3K steps per day. One
shouldn't judge anyone else's accomplishments or if they don't live up to
your expectations. I applaud your accomplishments, but would not judge
someone who doesn't do what I do.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was at a Resort in Cuba where you walked everywhere lol. In a day I hit 51K and I had just realized when I got back to my room at 11:45 pm lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this is late, but I just came across this.  I have 80K plus steps a day (even more).  I would have logged more if my Fitbit would last (it died after 9 hrs).  Anyway to answer your question I run.  Yes, I am a ultra marathoner and I just enjoy running the trails. 

Best Answer

I'm with you... I'm in a weekly challenge and on day 3, 2 people already have over 300,000 steps its only the end of Wednesday and I'm here like how is that even posdible??? I think they are cheating!! I don't believe it!! Otherwise i want to know how they really do it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

72,000 steps when walking "vigorously" would take about 9 plus hours a day. So how is another 13,000 in addition to that possible without collapsing. Add an 8 hour work day to a vigorous walk of what? 10 or 11 hrs walking "vigorously".  That adds up to 18 hrs and there is 24 hrs in a day. So with the 6 hours left in that 24 hours add the time to get to and from work, the time to shower at least once a day. This would suggest that at most, you get maybe an hour of sleep a day, if even that. Are you sure you're not reading this as 8,500 as opposed to 85,000 steps. No way that is humanly possible if one has any type of life. And why would one spend all waking hours power walking. It cannot be done just walking. One would have to powerwalk or jog. 

Best Answer

It says per day. Not per week. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
These weren't my steps. I was in a challenge and 3 people had an insane
number of steps a day. I called nonsense on them. They were most likely
cheating but it was like 85,000 plus steps daily smh.
Best Answer
0 Votes
No it says per day, their per 5 days is close to 500,000... like 1 guy was
495,000 and when I asked how it was possible he told me to come to his gym
in Detroit and he would show me cuz I called BS on him. The other lady that
got around that as a weekly total said she is on her feet all day she works
on a hospital and she is always stepping in place nd she parks far from her
job. When I explained even thatg is still not possible I got chewed out
tthat I was "being disrespectful" calling them liers nd cheaters. I
explained that the only way it's possible is if they have their stride set
really low so each step they take counts as 10. I bet they wouldn't be
getting those numbers if they set it correctly. My man walks back nd forth