Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

Here's mine for the past 7 days. 

walk.jpg

Best Answer

@Liz_J wrote:
Still haven't found my favourites shoes. Wore nike lunarglide till no tread left and the next model too tight. Why do they constantly change styles and alter them. Have asics, not the best fit either. Wearing new balance at the moment because they're a wider fit. Was trying various inner soles because reviews said to take inner out that comes with shoe. After 3 different types I'm back to what was in the shoe !!

@ Liz_J: You can purchase Wide Shoes on Nike's website or Asics' Website. Select the "Shoes" "Running" then filter the results by gender and "Width"/"Wide" below the page to find what shoes are available with the dimensions.

lunarglide.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes but as I'm in Australia they don't always ship.

Liz
Best Answer
0 Votes
@Colinm39 - That is remarkable. I didn't realize 10K was that far above the median

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Baltoscott it wouldn't take much effort for the world to be a healthier place. They showed the "corn syrup" documentary last night. Showing how the world has got fatter since this was introduced as a cheap sweetener.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I average over 90,000 steps a week and frequently hit 100,000. My tricks for getting extra steps are: I get off my train every morning about 4 stops from work which adds about 1.75 miles to my workout. I walk the same route on my commute home as well. I use the steps in my building all day long to meet with managers and each trip is about 4-5 floors. I try to do my food shopping without using my car and it causes me to make more frequent trips since I can only carry so much. And at work, I try to walk at least a mile at lunch. I had been averaging about 10,000 steps a day for a few years, but now I have bumped it up to around 17,000 - 18,000 and I am in not in pain. I lost nearly 20 pounds with the extra effort and feel better all the way around. The last part of my workout is 30-40 minutes on the treadmill at home. I do this after dinner and I reward myself by watching a favorite tv show on dvd which I only watch during workouts. This gives me a little extra motivation to hit the treadmill.  

Best Answer

@drtkrup1  - Good progression there, congrats! Just curious about something - isn't your after dinner treadmill workout affecting your sleep in any way? Like, how much time to you usually get between the end of your treadmill after dinner workout and bed time?  I always tried to avoid working out after dinner, for fear that it would boost up my metabolism and take valuable sleep time away from me. Your thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated. Have a nice day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My after dinner treadmill workout is done about 2.5 - 3 hours before bedtime and I sleep like a rock. I have never slept better. I sleep through the entire night without waking. I think your question is right on target and it is important to leave some buffer between workouts and sleep. After my treadmill workout I hydrate well and take a shower and relax quietly for an hour or so before hitting the pillow. Give it a try and you won't regret it.

Best Answer

@drtkrup1- Sorry to pester you with this ... and you do that workout what, about an hour or so after dinner, right? Assuming dinner is at 6PM, wait an hour or so, do the workout, your done by say 8 o'clock or so; so you hit the pillow around 10 or 11 o'clock or so. Is that about right? Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is something I want to try out. Contrary to the best advice I get all the time, dinner for me is my big meal; so if there was a way to burn some of that caloric intake before I retire for the day, I think that would make a big difference.  Thank you for your help - very much appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No problem at all with your questions. Yes, the timeline you outlined is essentially right on target. The only thing that I would mention is that sometimes I do not wait a full hour after dinner to start my workout. I know that may go against some medical recommendations, but I sometimes start my workout about 30 min after dinner - especially if I eat a light meal. I will wait an hour if I eat a big dinner. I think that the treadmill workout actually helps me with digesting my meal. I have not had any adverse effects with this workout schedule and have only noticed benefits - especially a good night's sleep. Good luck with your workout.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@drtkrup1- Thank you! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Dinner should not be the biggest meal. Regardless of the treadmill after dinner , it's best to eat a more substantial lunch.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have heard so many conflicting views as to when we should consume the most calories during the day. One article that I read recently said that it did not matter when you consumed the calories but rather the total calories you consumed. I have always subscribed to the theory that if I eat more earlier in the day, then I would have more opportunity to burn those calories off. With my increased workout schedule, I have been able to trim 18 lbs over a period of about 4 months, which I realize is a slow pace. I increased my total steps from an average of 10,000 to an average of 16,000 - 17,000. I altered my diet and cut down my calories by eating more salads for lunch. I still eat a good-sized dinner, although it is a healthy meal and I do not eat after dinner at all. I only drink water for the remainder of the evening. I am not suggesting this diet or regimen to anyone, but I wanted to share it as it is working for me. One trick that has worked for me for a long time - after dinner, brush your teeth and floss (I am not a dentist). This will discourage you from eating anything else or drinking sugary drinks. I only hydrate with water and that is never a bad thing.

Best Answer

@Liz_J wrote:
Dinner should not be the biggest meal. Regardless of the treadmill after dinner , it's best to eat a more substantial lunch.

hI @Liz_J - I know, I agree with you - and I'm very happy for all those for whom this approach works. Unfortunately, during the day, I'm not that hungry; in spite of quite an extensive exercise regimen, I am not that hungry; and if I go skimpy on dinner, I'll pig out all evening on snacks (healthy snacks, but nevertheless snacks) and won't be any further ahead. My problem is that I can do well with a small but healthy breakfast, a small but healthy lunch (with no desire whatsoever for more), an afternoon snack; but come dinner time, I can eat everything in sight.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think one advantage men have over women is a higher resting metabolism
I try to eat lighter in the evening and if I wake hungry I know I'm on the right track.
Biscuits is my problem but I find having an apple after dinner stops further snacking.
I'm suffering shin splints at the moment do very annoyed can only do one walk
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Liz_J wrote:
I think one advantage men have over women is a higher resting metabolism
I try to eat lighter in the evening and if I wake hungry I know I'm on the right track.
Biscuits is my problem but I find having an apple after dinner stops further snacking.
I'm suffering shin splints at the moment do very annoyed can only do one walk

I used to have chronic shin and plantar issues for years, no matter what shoes I wore. Haven't had any issues since I started doing walk/jog (slow jog, very slow!) intervals. Your leg muscles and joints don't get used the same way when walking and jogging (even if it's a slow jog). I started with just 20 seconds, and the balance of the 5 min segment a brisk walk; then I would increase the jogging portion by 20 seconds every two or three days, the goal being a 50/50 split. I have been doing 2.5/2.5 walk/jog now for about six months or so, and have ZERO issues. You can Google it, this interval topic has received a lot of air time over the years, plenty to read on the subject.

Best Answer
I ran for years and years but walked for last 5 Started increasing to 10-12km day and this. happens. Usually walk fast for half then run home. Now back to one walk till it eases. It appears it's due to flat arch which I never had before. That's problem of getting older. Feet deteriorate.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Liz_J wrote:
I ran for years and years but walked for last 5 Started increasing to 10-12km day and this. happens. Usually walk fast for half then run home. Now back to one walk till it eases. It appears it's due to flat arch which I never had before. That's problem of getting older. Feet deteriorate.

@Liz_J  - "Getting older. Feet deteriorate." I know what you mean, I am 65. But you should give intervals a try. As I said, I do 2.5 mintues brisk walk, followed by 2.5 minutes slow jog; this alternating between the two seems to work magic, not only in terms of making it easier on your joint and leg muscles, but you also end up burnkng more calories, because of peaks and throughs in energy expenditure.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hmm . I just turned 56. What a dreadful number. Tried a little jog last night but still tender. Will increase my walks another week then try again. Really annoying.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I never thought about how much I walked in a day. then I bought a FitBit. WOW one 14,000 steps. It kinda made me laugh cuz I know I walked alot but that much..,......Awesome just gotta keep it up on the weekends ( for me) FITNESS FOR LIFE!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes