Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

The title of this discussion is questioning how someone can hit 80,000 steps per week, not per day.  

Best Answer
The ambiguity comes because the lead text with the heading questions the Fitbitters who log 75,000 minimum steps/day.
Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@Cybertekkno wrote:

The title of this discussion is questioning how someone can hit 80,000 steps per week, not per day.  

It says AVERAGE 80,000, not hit 80,000 per week.  Easy misunderstanding, though, unless you read the whole thread.   

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

I've read about some ultra-marathoners that use a Fitbit. There are some superwalkers around that average 40 to 50 miles a day, and some even average more than that. 

I'll admit the number seems high, but I never discount the theory that the impossible is possible for some.

Most people average pretty close to 120 steps per minute walking and it would take 10 hours and 24 minutes to walk 75,000 paces. People average about 180 steps per minute running and it would take just under 7 hours to run the paces. 

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer

I am a science teacher and I average at least 100,000 per week.  If someone has an average of 75 k per day they must either teach kindergarten or have their fit bit straped to a hamster on a treadmill.  

Best Answer

I have a treadmill desk and walk 6 miles a day while working.  I started at 1.0 MPH and am now up to 2.5 while being able to type and work on a variety of task.  Then I get in an addition 2-3 miles at a 135 BPM walk which gets me in the 20-25K range M-F.  On Sats/Sunday I typically avg 10-15K.  

Best Answer

OBX, 

What speed in mph do you maintain at 135 bpm? 

Thanks,

Gershon

Best Answer

Gershon - for me it depends on the length of my steps as there are times when I walk shorter, but faster steps.  On avg the speed ranges from 3.7-4.2.  Hope this helps! 🙂

Best Answer

@OBXSweet wrote:

Gershon - for me it depends on the length of my steps as there are times when I walk shorter, but faster steps.  On avg the speed ranges from 3.7-4.2.  Hope this helps! 🙂

@OBXSweet@GershonMine is the same, at 135+ steps/minute my speed is 4.2 mph (6.75 kmh)

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Thanks. That is very helpful.

Best Answer

Like some others on this thread, I have been well over 100k per week since I started over a month ago.  It's not easy, you have to plan it and I end up moving for several hours every single day. Right now my weekly total is between 160-170K.  I am lucky in that I can walk at work a ton, I make time in the a.m. before work, and on my days off it is not unusual for me to do a 10mile walk on the trail near my house....Also, it's just me and my hubby and the dogs, so I have no kids etc. to take care of, cook for, clean up after etc.  I have a good amount of time and I move whenever I possibly can.  So far I love it. You could say I'm addicted even, yes.  But as far as 80K steps in a day, as the title of this post mentions...Wow...I can't even imagine how that is done.  35K is a very strong day for me.... 

Best Answer

Well, for the most part, I would say those who do 75k steps a day are in the 1% Athletes and toned up. They work out 8 full hours a day.

Since you have premium, you can click on that and scroll through the benchmark numbers, and click on each age group. You'll notice that most Typical are in the 5,000-8,000 steps a daily average no matter the sex or age.

I've only used FitBit Flex for one day already and my Daily Average is 12,961 steps a day but may increase tomorrow since I actually did 14,000 steps today.

Best Answer

@josephz2vaI have added the graph and you and I can see why it is important devices like Fitbit get the world moving...

10k demographic.jpg

Best Answer
At my pace if I do 240000 steps , that's 15 km. that's about all I manage in a day. Walk morning. Go to work or shopping. Housework. Then another walk/ run at 5.30 pm.
Best Answer
My highest weekly total was 92000 . Could have probably done more but my legs get tired.
Best Answer

@Liz_J wrote:
My highest weekly total was 92000 . Could have probably done more but my legs get tired.

I used to go for 90 min. in the morning, and another 90 min. in the evening. Over time, I developed shin and plantar issues, so I decided to ease off a little; and after reading a post here (in the old forums) about the benefits of intervals, I started incorporating intervals in my walk workouts. I started very slow, like 30 seconds slow jog, and then 4 1/2 minutes brisk walk. And every two or three days, I would increase the jog component by 30 seconds or so; and did this until I reached a 50/50 split. Since then, no more shin issues, no more plantar issues, I am not as tired and could probably go on for another hour, no problem - but I don't, I don't like taking things to extremes. I realize that walk/jog intervals is not for everyone; and I never thought that at 65 I would start jogging again, something I had not done since my early 30s!

Best Answer
Yes at the moment I have one sore shin which I put down to changing inner soles. Was trying out some green super feet then some others and now paying for it. Trying to walk it out. If I walk too far my hips ache so find alternating between walking and jogging the best. It also boosts metabolism. If you have trouble losing around the middle it's important to change intensity.
Best Answer

The title of the thread is confusing. It is asking about people who average 80,000 steps a day for a week. This is about 35-40 miles. I'm sure there are many who do it, but not as many as I see in some of the groups. I'd like to chat with some who are doing this level of walking to see how they got to that level.

Is it possible? Absolutely. When I did research on Pedestrianism, which was the name for the six-day walking races in the 1800's and early 1900's, this would be on the low end of people who placed in the top three in races. Pedestrianism was race walking, and was done with a longer stride, maybe these people would have been competitive.

I suspect many of the people who are doing it are on long distance treks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Liz_J wrote:
Yes at the moment I have one sore shin which I put down to changing inner soles. Was trying out some green super feet then some others and now paying for it. Trying to walk it out. If I walk too far my hips ache so find alternating between walking and jogging the best. It also boosts metabolism. If you have trouble losing around the middle it's important to change intensity.

Here's a tip - the next time you buy your favorite shoes, buy two pairs; and alternate wearing them. It won't cost you anymore over time; but it will improve the performance your shoe big time. Wearing the same shoe for each walk/jog workout causes the memory foam to lose a bit of its efficiency; and over time, that efficiency loss becomes more significant, such that you no longer have the same degree of protection. My giving your shoes a rest for one day, you're just allowing your shoes to recover and they'll be in much better shape to face the pounding the next day. My two cents!  In our neck of the woods, we often see two for one sales, or buy one get 50% off the second pair, particularly when a new model just came out. Asics does it all the time, and so do other major brands.

Best Answer
Still haven't found my favourites shoes. Wore nike lunarglide till no tread left and the next model too tight. Why do they constantly change styles and alter them. Have asics, not the best fit either. Wearing new balance at the moment because they're a wider fit. Was trying various inner soles because reviews said to take inner out that comes with shoe. After 3 different types I'm back to what was in the shoe !!
Best Answer