Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

http://www.smh.com.au/national/couple-run-365-marathons-in-a-year-20131230-302sf.html

I beg to differ. In their 60s... ran a marathon a day.... I'll assume it would have been close to 80k steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PinkRayneDrop wrote:

a marathon a day.... I'll assume it would have been close to 80k steps.

A marathon a day is impressive indeed, but it won’t get you 80k steps in itself. A marathon is about 42.2 km, i.e. 42,200 meters. You would need an average running stride length of 80,000 / 42,200 = 1,90 meters to get 80k steps from a marathon. Just in case you’re not metrically inclined, 1,90 meters is about 6’ 2. Even extremely tall people with very long legs don’t have that kind of stride length. Which just proves 80k steps a day, day after day, is just total non-sense.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thanks USAF-Larry, and congrats for your 15K-20K steps! I hope I'll get there one day (I'm new...). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great stats figures Colinm39! Thank you so much, now I know where I stand. Upon reading the stats, I made an effort and reached 10k for the first time yesterday. I'm still going through the winter (Eastern Canada) and can't walk much outside, but I promised myself I'll average 10K or more when spring/summer come around...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Al_fit Thanks for the thoughts. Well done on your first 10k badge.  I averaged my 10k/day for the first 3 years and since my op that has dropped to 9.3k.

When I first started I used to go on a planned walk of 45 minutes each morning. This always guanteed me 5000 steps. Then the rest of the day was domestic. Shopping, malls, car parks and gardening etc . This method enabled me to get 50% of my goal before family/life things encroached as they inevitably do. I found I was more relaxed mentally after that.

I was following the readings of Chris Crowley. "Younger Next Year".

There are experts here now saying the 10k could be putting pressure on people because of the fashionitus of digital devices. They are wanting people to be active in other ways.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39 wrote:

There are experts here now saying the 10k could be putting pressure on people because of the fashionitus of digital devices. They are wanting people to be active in other ways.

Who are these "experts", and what is the basis of these claims?  10K Steps a Day is a recommendation of the American Heart Association (AHA).  I don't find getting 10K steps a day stressful at all.  My Internal Medicine doctor suggests I walk 5 miles a day, which I do most days. Five miles is about 90 minutes out of my life, or 90 minutes that will be tacked on to the end of my life, depending on how I look at it.

But, even without walking 5 miles a day, it is not difficult to get 10K steps in.  When I go to the store, I don't park in front of the door, I park far away and walk to the door. I save the close-up parking spaces for the less fit that need them.  We live in a rural area and most homes have very long driveways. Neighbors usually drive to the end of the driveway to get their mail or take trash out for collection. I walk out and back, and I don't put the trash cans in the truck to take them to the road - I carry them out one at a time, and then go back to get another one.

There is a "Elite Fitness Center" in a nearby town that prides itself in its eliteness. They offer shuttle service from your car to the front door of the fitness center - wouldn't it be better to walk in?  When the shuttle arrives at the front door of the fitness center, there are escalators to take you to the 2nd floor where the fitness center is located - wouldn't it be better to take the steps? After your workout, and relaxing at the smoothie bar, take the escalator back downstairs and the shuttle will return you to your car.

But, back to the subject of this thread about how to "average" 80K steps a day, that is not a reasonable goal for anyone, nor would it be healthy for the body.

Best Answer

Hi there,

It is clear that he is referring to the average; however, there seems to be some confusion around where that number is located.  The number listed besides peoples screen names IS their seven-day AVERAGE, NOT their total for the week.  I hate when one of my high days drops off [usually a Wednesday] because it brings my average down dramatically.

Man Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi there!

I will look for you. If you log in via a desktop and select the tab that
reads 'Premium' [even if you don't pay you can get a 14day free trial] and
once you select your age group, gender, and activity you will be able to
see where they benchmark and you fall.

Let me see if it will allow me to copy/paste.

brb 🙂

So, I completely goofed and even though I said it it didn't register. When
I look for your age group, I'm getting the benchmark and how "I" fall. For
my age group I am in the 72nd percentile and for your age 55-64 [that's the
range] I am 81st.

Try that. Let me know how you make out!

~Adrienne
Best Answer
0 Votes
Forget 80G per day - that is ridiculous!

My personal goal is 12k daily which i attain by doing usually two zumba classes (or equivalent) plus additional walking (i make a point of taking a long or several shorter walks). Then i do the usual daily routine. I don’t sit much during the day; and i shyly admit i sometimes need to take a 20-40 minute nap during the day.
The main disappointment i have with this tracking system which i’ve been doing for 3 years now, is that i have almost completely given up cycling. Why ?because it doesn’t register steps which is most unfortunate.

I do average 14-16,000 steps daily; but i try to never go under my personal 12G goal. I am pleased with myself when i achieve 100G steps in my week. There are some hiccups, for example; when i need to charge the battery during the day. Today i only noticed mid-day that the battery was completely drained; so i gave myself a mini-vacation from activity and took it real easy today while the battery was charging.

I wish i could attain 100G every week; but as long as i maintain 12G per day; i feel that it is not so bad for a 66 yr old former office (sitting at a desk all day long!) worker.

Don’t be too hard on yourself - you have to exercise to live; not live to exercise.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@shirley123There are avid cyclists in the Forum and that's all they can do.. Not even walk, and they track the cadence by ankle mounting their Fitbit. I have tried that on the Stationary bike and because I have two blazes it tracks the HR reasonably well on both wrist and ankle.. Also on my ankle and wrist, the step count is accurate.

So having cadence is better than none and you can enjoy cycling again.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

run or bike 100000 miles so what is the secret

Best Answer
To Shirley123,

About 2 months ago I downloaded an app, RALLY, in which you can do “virtual” challenges with other members. They range from 3 to 14 days. (These are step challenges.) In every single one, the same people would show up in the lead, logging 30 MILES PER DAY, each and every day. When I posted a comment on the RALLY forum, most people commented that these individuals were cheating.

My yearly average now is 20,000 steps per day. Best day, 32,000+, but still haven’t broken the 35,000 mark! My daily goal is 15,000. I try to go to the gym and walk the dog daily. I do a lot of walking at work. On the weekends, my husband & I hike 4-6 miles each weekend day. (I am turning 60 in August.)

I ended up deleting the app because I was too put off by dishonesty. That why I posted if anyone could really do that many steps. I guess 65,000 is closer to 30 miles? Anyway, thanks for your response!
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's no secret that some must have super powers though us mere mortals might, might get that number with a extra-ordinary effort. 

Just enjoy your process and progress!

Happy trails🍒

Best Answer
Hi there.

I actually reached out to someone who attains 35k-40k plus steps a day. I
have no desire to worry about steps all day, but want to be active and
learn from others if it is something I can incorporate. ANNDDD, I don't
cycle, but she does and she said to wear your band on your ankle when you
cycle!! Problem solved 🙂 Who knew!!!

Hope that helps!
Best Answer
The KetoGoddess: Don't believe her. I ride a stationary bike and average
70-75 RPMs and it is a workout even with minimal resistance on my pedals.
To average 50K steps a day she would have to be on that bike for 7 hours
averaging 120 RPMs or over 8 hours if she averaged 100 RPMs. That would
classify as spinning which is very hard, let alone sitting on a hard seat
for 7-8 hours. Use a little common sense, does that seem possible or
rational. All these posts that try to give explanations how some one could
log 50-80K steps a day just don't hold up. They all want people to believe
that there is no cheating going on. Alternative facts!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just sharing...Odd info.  Yesterday I spent several hours rolling coins (by hand) and did not get around much.  Incidentally my Fitbit increased approximately 5,000steps.

The only thing healthier from this was the checking account.

Happy trails☀

Best Answer

Reason why I got the zip and then the one so I can clip it to say the belt or collar

might not be 100% but a lot more accurate than wrist ones

Best Answer

How did you find that chart? I'm interested to see how my data compares. 😀

Thank you for sharing! 

Best Answer

You may want to take  a look at if you can find a dealer in your area.

HOKA ONE ONE shoes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Liz_J wrote:
Still haven't found my favourites shoes. Wore nike lunarglide till no tread left and the next model too tight. Why do they constantly change styles and alter them. Have asics, not the best fit either. Wearing new balance at the moment because they're a wider fit. Was trying various inner soles because reviews said to take inner out that comes with shoe. After 3 different types I'm back to what was in the shoe !!

take  a look at Hoka One One shoes.

Best Answer
0 Votes