Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801
To be clear, I'm not talking about one exceptional day where you get up at
3am and then do an ultra marathon until midnight. That is easy to
comprehend. 100k is totally attainable that way. Averaging 80k over a multi
month period unless you are an elete ultra athlete with no job or one that
requires 8 hours of constant walking (park ranger, postman, walking tour
guide, roving security guard, what else?) is more difficult to
understand,IMHO.

Mike
Best Answer
0 Votes

Rock tumbler.  I have 2 Engineer friends in competition.  They both are up to 122k a day average.  All kinds of contraptions.  Whatever, I am 56 and averagedo 16.5k a day for last 2 years prepping for AT thru hike.  Funny thing is, left knee surgery set for 8/23.  :))  then back to it.  🙂

Best Answer

@AircraftMan,

You can walk the AT virtually at https://www.walking4fun.com/. There are pictures every .2 or .3 miles. The website links with Fitbit.

During the virtual hike, you could study the guide book and create a general plan. 

Good luck with your journey.

Best Answer

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am in challenges all the time, where people have average steps per day of 65k and more.  Personally, I do not believe the ones who sustain this walking schedule every day, week after week.  I call BS...so, I generally remove myself from challenges with people who have step numbers with which I can’t possibly compete.  The most steps a day I’ve achieved is 45K.  And, that was, literally, moving my feet ALL day...stepping in place while cooking, etc., when I wasn’t actually doing my routine 4-miles in the morning and again in the evening.  

I am in challenges all the time, where people have average steps per day of 65k and more. Personally, I do not believe the ones who sustain this walking schedule every day, week after week. I call BS...so, I generally remove myself from challenges with people who have step numbers with which I can’t possibly compete. The most steps a day I’ve achieved is 45K. And, that was, literally, moving my feet ALL day...stepping in place while cooking, etc., when I wasn’t actually doing my routine 4-miles in the morning and again in the evening.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree, It's all BS!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I set out to gain the Olympic gold shoe with 100,000 steps in a day. This was of course while I was on vacation and had no other responsibilities other than pure enjoyment. So the first day I tried it I didn't get started early enough in the day and ran out of time and it turned midnight at 93,000.. So I tried it again two days later and got in 100,000. It was actually really fun and to me the ultimate vacation, I don't remember how many steps I logged the rest of the days in that week but likely around 20,000 a day, that definitely was my biggest step week ever. 😊

Best Answer

@essieL  Wel;l planned and thought out .  What was your typical steps/minute to achieve that.?

I ask that because at my walking pace I would need at least 18 hours..  A pity we can only add 1 vote...Smiley Happy

@essieL wrote:

Hi! I set out to gain the Olympic gold shoe with 100,000 steps in a day. This was of course while I was on vacation and had no other responsibilities other than pure enjoyment. So the first day I tried it I didn't get started early enough in the day and ran out of time and it turned midnight at 93,000.. So I tried it again two days later and got in 100,000. It was actually really fun and to me the ultimate vacation, I don't remember how many steps I logged the rest of the days in that week but likely around 20,000 a day, that definitely was my biggest step week ever. 😊

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

It took me about 12 1/2 hours. 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

@essieL That's fairly solid, 8k/hr, still a solid pace over time. Well done.

@essieL wrote:

It took me about 12 1/2 hours. 😊

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am in a weekend warrior challenge right now.  The leader has 70000 steps in 18 hours so far.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Whoa! That's stepping 

Best Answer
0 Votes

He said his friend did 80k in a day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@prc1977 With that smile I'm sure you would never have imagined over 3 years on, the post would have "attracted" so many replies. Well thought out Smiley Happy

@prc1977 wrote:

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Maybe you should ‘get a life’.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Lets be civil, I have a life, it just doesn't revolve around walking 8-9
hours a day. Just read a post where someone has spent 18 hours walking and
logged 70K steps. Can't think of a better way of spending 18 hours of my
day than walking.
Best Answer
0 Votes

About the only way I'm getting 100,000 steps in a day is if I hang my Fitbit on the cuckoo clock while I sit on the couch and get drunk. 

I'm thinking that's probably outside the spirit of the challenge.

Best Answer

You sure made me laugh!

Best Answer
0 Votes
They use a rock tumbler.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@AircraftMan: How do you know that would work? Are you speaking from personal experience, or just trying to be funny? Maybe you could start a new discussion thread so that those that do cheat can discuss what works best.

Best Answer
0 Votes