Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

People have figured out how to cheat...I guess inferiority complex....I average 140000/week and I know others averaging 200000+/week.....but to average 125000/day over a week = cheating and unfortunately I'm unable to see what their daily/hourly totals (i.e., are there 300,000 on one day??)....I'm still trying to figure out how. I'm thinking attach fitbit to your car wheel hubcap somehow and go for a long drive. If you can see someone's hourly totals, it will clue you in....assume 2 to 3 foot stride and figure out mph to see if even feasible.

Best Answer
Wow, that makes a lot of sense...

Sent from my LG Mobile
Best Answer
0 Votes

87,000 is 50% short....I know soccer players that hit 85000+ but nowhere near 125,000....do the math

Best Answer
0 Votes
Erm, the only way I can see that happening is either you're a professional
iron person competitor, a marathon runner, because I'm retired have 2 dogs
and play golf work on the house and generally move about all day from 6 am
till 11 or 12 at night and I only do at my best 80-100K steps per week, I'm
58 years old
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am doing 70kmonmy70th birthday. Rehearsal on Saturday I did 95000 steps. In aid of havorfordwest hospital 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a bad back, so I can't sit for long.  Instead of sitting at a desk every day, I use a treadmill desk all day while working.  So I walk an average of 10 hours every day at just under 3 miles per hour.  I don't see much difference between my productivity on a treadmill walking than sitting at a desk. 

In 2020, the result was an average of almost 47,000 steps per day and a peak week of 425,000 steps (61,000 steps per day) and a peak day over 80,000.  I'm 67 years old and love my treadmill desk.  And for the most part, this is pretty easy.

If I worked at it, I'm sure I could increase this to 12 hours per day which would push this over 70,000 steps per day.  I don't push this beyond when I'm working.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wish I can reach 80k. The most I could get one day was 32000 steps. Now that I was told that I have a lumbar hernia, I need to look for ways to stand up and walk around the desk in order to stretch my back a little and have some steps added to my Fitbit.

My goal for this year was to reach 50k steps in a day but after reading your posts, they encouraged me to do more and now my goal is 80000 steps hahaha

Stay safe guys and see you around! 😀

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
I am 70 years old. I walked 101 thousand steps in a day to celebrate my 70th. I also got it sponsored and raised 600 for our hospital.
I left at midnight and finished about 1600hours.
I did it on my own with no support.
I normally walk 15000 a day.
I practiced for a month before doing 40,000 a day three times a week. Normal daily routine for the other 4.
To do 80000 plus steps is possible, but who can dedicate that much time every day.
Ron

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Ronellen17, that's awesome and admirable. Congratulations for reaching that amount of steps in a day.

Yes, 80k is too much since in my case I spent 8 hours at work. Unless I decide to dedicate my day off to reach that amount of steps, which I consider it possible as you mentioned.

Hope to see you around more often in the Community! 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

Someone in my group has OVER 300,000 for the week. Seems insane ! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Momta4 Wow, it is insane actually! That person must be really active. I can barely reach 20k but as they say: "our mind is the only limit" ha ha ha.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit I'm not into steps but I get at least 10k within 1 hour of a run of any intensity. I keep my cadence fixed on 182spm regardless of the pace (although can't get slower than 7:00/km, I can't keep the cadence high when I'm too slow). On a good day, I can ramp my cadence up to 190spm (11400 steps per hour) but this isn't effortless. Increase your cadence, find the slowest pace you can maintain it (should be close to a very easy jog), and go. It is reasonable to say 180spm will give you 10800 steps per hour. Use a metronome to keep the cadence up (synchronize your steps). Higher cadence makes walking/jogging/running easier for joints and makes the activity less prone to injury. Maybe it's not gonna be 80k steps as daily average (I hardly believe it's possible to maintain) but 10 hours to achieve 100k steps doesn't look that bad anymore. Slow jog with high cadence may easily replace walk after some training.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The most I've ever walked in one day is 15,000 steps. Actually 15,575. I have really bad arthritis in my left knee and some in my back. It hurts so bad in my knee I normally just keep it straight when I walk. I walked over 15,000 that day and the next day I barely got 2000 steps in and then I didn't walk at all for 3 weeks. I got my Fitbit out after 5 years again last week and have been trying to build back up. This time I'm walking like I normally do with my left leg straight. I'm good on level ground but hills and lawns are hard. Yesterday I walked 11,500 steps. I wanna get the 20,000 steps in one day goal. 11,000 steps if I'm not mistaken is around 5 miles. I saw where one girl I know walked 50,000 steps and got the badge. That's over 20 miles in one day. If I get 20,000 in one day, especially with arthritis, I'll be shocked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i think they use walking machine at home.

i cant get 20 k a day thats about 93 k a week 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally got my 20,000 steps badge yesterday. There's no way I could keep that up every day. I forced myself to keep walking until my legs almost quit working and I only had 19,000 steps at that point. I drove home and sat in the car a few minutes to rest and then I got back out and walked enough to get 20,300 steps, but I was barely moving at that point. I got to my bedroom and sat down in my chair and didn't move again for 3 and a half hours. I think I can manage to average 10,000, maybe 15,000 on a good day until I lose some weight. I've figured out I can walk 45 minutes and get around 5,000 steps and I'm not totally exhausted. I can do that twice a day and get 10,000. I'm not gonna try to kill myself for the 25,000 steps badge for a while.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hang in there @BamaDan, your body will tell you when it's ready for some more.  The thing is, different systems of your body develop at different rates; your cardio, pulmonary, and muscular systems develop relatively quickly, your skeletal, joint, and connective tissue systems develop at a much slower pace; said another way, you're being smart by not "trying to kill yourself for the 25,000 step badge".

As someone who has been in great shape at times, and, ummm, not so great shape at other times, I'll share a truism with you; when you're in good shape, twenty to thirty thousand steps in a day seems relatively easy, however, when you're recovering from life events and in less than stellar condition, even ten thousand steps can be a challenge.

Best Answer

IN YEAR  2020  i just got to   8 k a day every day i was in bad shape 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I did my most yesterday my Apple Watch said I did 41,000 steps I am a banquet server sometimes and I worked from 7 AM to 1 am. I usually average around 25,000 steps a day. Its a very active at my job I don’t sit down ever.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see a person who friended me averaging 75,000 steps per day and am pretty skeptical that anyone can average 75,000 or more steps per day for months and months.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are people who show 75,000 or 80,000 steps on avg per day.  I’m pretty skeptical that they are getting anywhere near those #s.  

Best Answer
0 Votes