Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

I'm tired of this thread. 🙂

Let's talk about walking 100,000 steps a day. 🙂

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer

80,000 a week? Easy...that is 2 days worth for me. My minimum is 30,000 a day.

Must be cheating.

Best Answer

The thread is discussing people who average 80,000 steps per day for a week. That's 560,000 steps a week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Re: How can a person average 80,000 steps in a week?

Title of the topic........ it says 80,000 in a week for me......

Best Answer

my first fitbit was the flex- I returned it because it was giving me 30000-60000 steps in a day and I knew it was wrong.  I then got The One and I love it.  But it does count correctly and I struggle to get 10000 a day!

Have a good day,
Deb from Ohio
Best Answer
or rather how you read it

some are reading at per day, some per week

like Pink, to me it suggests averaging 80k per week not averaging 80k per day in a week
Best Answer
0 Votes

my basic coal per day is 15,000 but I really like 20,000 - I have a desk job so I must get up every hour and do a little walking and if I don't have 10,000 by the time I leave work - it is off to the gym for the eliptical and treadmill (which I do so enjoy - call it my time) 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My first week with a tracker I was appalled at how very few steps I really got in a day.  I didn't think I would in anyway be able to ever get 10k a day especially with my work being sedentary.  I've learned over the last two months how to get those steps in here and there, and everywhere.  I know there are people that get absolutely crazy over the number of steps they get, and runners do the best I think.  But nothing ever got my off my ass like this tracker.  I am competing against myself everyday and it has impacted my life in very positive ways.  I don't get into serious competitions with others-like I say-I am mostly challenging myself to do better every day.

Best Answer

This is so true - found that since my phone is telling me all llday what my steps are that I forget to go on the computer to see where I am with friends - when I went on vacation I lost the charger  - i was so lost for the 10 days and we walked and walked - hard to convince the mind that even though I was not getting 'credit' for the steps I was doing wonderful - my tracker is what keeps me moving

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have also seen many people who have these high daily totals. I was on a thread the other day and reading someone's post--she said she aimed for 100k twice a week and between 60-75 most days.  She talked about getting up at 4am to hit the treadmill and not stopping movement until she was exhausted 14 hours later.  She also alluded to the idea that her son offered to wear her tracker to get those last 10k in.  I don't understand this mind set though I do find it interesting and entertaining to read about it.  It bothered me when I first started using a tracker that I could never hit those incredible numbers. I kept thinking there was something wrong with me. I quickly realised that beating myself into an exhausted mess was not what this was really about.  It's about moving, and having that little extra nudge from seeing that digital read out.  Now I just have fun with it, challenge myself, and make new friends. I also think that manic adherence to an extremely high number puts a person at risk of injury and burn out.

Best Answer
My husband can average between 25,000 and 30,000 steps per day on a very active day at work. I had over 11,000 steps this morning before I took my Fitbit off (and that was at 9:30). I don't see how 80,000 per week would be hard to achieve.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I was used to 50000 a day but I only do 10000 in the am and 10000 throughout the day - makes for a nice workout
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

Might just be a postman I know guy who does near this everyday

Best Answer

Please remember some of us walk a lot for work. My wife is a food and beverage manager she is averaging 13 k per day I average 17 K per day. Why would any one take the time to figure a way to trick a fitbit..

My high is around 26k

Best Answer
I'm retired, so I'm not walking around for work anymore. My goal minimum distance in steps per day is 5 miles, which at my stride length is around 12,000 steps . I often hit 100,000 steps a week. There are walks for fitness, but also cleaning, groceries to buy, cooking and so on really add up.
As i recall, this thread started as an adjunct to one with someone wondering about a person posting 100,000 steps a DAY.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I like the idea of having friends on fitbit, but having friends that you stand no chance of catching or passing their step count ever, would be very discouraging. How do you find more normal people who average 60K - 80K steps a week.?

Best Answer
@fifofum - good question. Lots of people on Fitbit choose to keep their stats private or visible to just to friends. That makes it harder to find new friends with steps similar to you. You can't change anyone else, but if you make your steps public you make it easier for people with steps similar to you to find and friend you.

Also, all Fitbit groups have monthly leaderboards. Look at the groups you are in (join some if you aren't in any) and send friend requests to the 10 people who are just above you on the leaderboard. Do that for a few months and you will be loaded with Fitbit friends. 🙂

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Baltoscott,

I don't understand how to get to these groups you mentioned. May I have a little more instruction please? Thanks,

Best Answer
0 Votes

Baltoscott,

Nevermind, I see it now and have done as you suggested. I joined two groups and sent out about 10 friend requests. Thanks for the advice.

Best Answer

As of late I have been averaging 80000 steps a week. When I think 12000 steps a day, it isnt that hard becuase if I make it fun and rewarding then I get rewarded with 80,000 plus steps a week. Where as if I just do it for steps then I find it boring and unmotivated to get those steps. I make up stuff and games as I go.

Best Answer