Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932

The days I get 50k steps I walk 20 miles(40k steps) which take me about 5.5 hours.  Then later in day I go to gym and spin or do it at home for the other 10k steps which take about 1.5 hours.  Getting that many steps everyday is not possible unless you're retired and with nothing else to do all day.   But I really don't think anyone have that much endurance to put in that many steps daily.  Maybe one can do it for up to 3 days.  

Best Answer

For the individuals that log 50k steps per day, I would like to ask them why they do it?

Best Answer
doing it bone day is fine but to average it over a 30 day period is the question. Look back at the phsio guys commets on the effect on the body..
Best Answer

Thanks kens33 for your comment, but no one seems to be paying attention or don't seem to care.  I will be very interested in the reasons people who log 50K steps a day give to rationalize their behavior.  No one is able to log 50K steps a day at work, at 120 steps per minute they would have to walk 7 hours without stopping, if they did that they couldn't accomplish any kind of productive work, and 120 steps a minute is a fast walk!

Best Answer

Corney, I have already explained why, how, and how long I have done (and do) it. Read this:

http://www.outsideonline.com/2026731/how-personal-trainer-claimed-records-and-pct

If you do not understand, there is really no point in trying to explain it to you.

If you don't bother to read, she did the PCT in slightly less than 61 days, and did it unsupported. That turns out to be averaging 45 miles a day. Don't know about exact step count, but let's assume a conservative 2200 steps per miles, considering the terrain and that she is carrying her own 'home' and food & water 3000 is more likely. Anyway, averaging well north of 100,000 steps per day for two months over wild terrain carrying self-sufficiency (resupply of course). In comparison, doing 50k per day, unburdened and with all the comforts of home readily at hand, is a trivial task.

I think those that understand enjoy a sustained flow of endorphins that seems to connect all the senses and allows a connection with nature that can really be found in no other way. I only have sympathy for people that average 50k just for the number, and don't really think that it is sustainable in the long run.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a desk jockey and am lucky to fit in 7500 steps,  2 hours of under-desk spinning, another 30 mins of HIIT, and another hour of resistance weight training. Doing THAT much walking/running all the time would elevate your cortisol levels. If you're training for a triathlon, that's awesome.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please BruceBu explain to me why you log 50k steps per day every day, I must have missed you thread.  Yes that was quite an accomplishment, but does she still average that step count everyday.  I ran 2 marathons, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run 26.2 miles everday.  I understand the high got from endorphins and enkephalins, I ran 6-7 miles everyday year round, because of the high I got and the pure enjoyment of running out in nature.  I truly miss those runs, since now I'm doing my aerobic exercise in my basement, but I don't miss my body telling me, I'm harming my self.  Most of my friends could never understand why I ran every morning, or why I entered races that I never won, because they never did it.  When I was running, I thought I was invincible and that if some was good, more was better, but my body knew more than my conscious mind.  I leaned the concept of moderation and now I'm a much happier, healthier person.  Is still get the high from endorphins and enkephalins without harming my joints.  Hopefully, someday those 50K+ loggers will learn the concept of moderation before it's too late.

Best Answer

That's simple to explain - I don't log 50k steps each and every day. When I do AVERAGE 50k per day, any given day will be anywhere from 20 to 90k with an appropriate mix of intense and light days as part of well though-out schedule that is modified according to what my body tells me. Also I do not average 50k all the time - longest I have gone at that level is about 35 days. As I've said before my long term average is closer to 30k/day. This means that longer-term intensity schedule, that any athelete is certainly aware of, can be approximated as 1 month hard 50k average and 2 months 'easy' 20k average.

As for Cortisol - I don't think so, my primary feedback is heart rate and when I'm going long it rarely gets above 115. Exercise related cortisol production is only significant during high aerobic activity boardering on anaerobic. And besides, there is nothing wrong with exercise related cortisol, it is simply part of elelvating blood glucose in response to demand by STRESSED muscles. Whoever mentioned this must have been thinking of the cortisol that is generated by long term stress such as hating you wife or job, and elevated blood sugar when it is not needed for muscle demand.

As for time for the 50k average - 6 hours of focused walking time is about right (you'll get another hour or so by minor lifestyle changes). It take a modest commitment, but you still have 18 hours to take care of the rest of your life. Not a big deal if you are retired and/or take your exercise seriously.

Best Answer

Bruce Bu, you still haven't given your rational for logging 50 K steps anytime.  I agree with you concerning cortisol, there may be an increase in cortisol after an individual exercise session, but it's only tempory, in fact regular exercise actually lowers plasma levels of cortisol which is good.

Best Answer

Corney,

Usually people who do endurance events don't have a reason other than they want to.

If you are seriously interested, I suggest reading the book "Bodies in Motion." 

Best Answer
0 Votes

People are cheating.  They are probably attaching their fit bit to a ceiling fan for the whole night. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Really? So now were down to questioning why anyone would do 50k walking, even as a one time thing??? Might as well ask a few million marathoners why they do it - running that distance has to be a lot harder and damaging than walking it.

Nonetheless, I do it because it is fun, easy, and makes me happy. Builds me up and does not tear me down, both physically abd mentally - makes me feel like superman. And it lets me smile/laugh at people who are frustrated because they can't do it (at least think it is insanely difficult and will destroy you if you try - it is not), and hence cannot possiblely understand it, as has been amply demonstrated in this thread.

Y'all go out and make some good steps (none of those cheapos)! I'm done here.

Best Answer

So Sando, how to you know attaching your fitbit to the ceilng fan gives you accelerometer triggers? I expect cheating is more rampant amongst one-comment beginners than it is among seasoned high steppers. You know - all those folks who don't give a whit about exercise or being fit, just don't want to be scolded by their doctor or spouse.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Speaking for myself, I  don't call this cheating or hanging fitbit to a ceiling fan.  Pictured is a little over 40k steps. I complete my other 10k step at gym .

IMG_20160525_134244.jpg

Best Answer

Thanks, Duke! Another example that far from being 'impossible,' 50k days are relatively easy, if you have some modicum of endurance. In your case, 20 miles at 3.5 mph on the flats at sea level is just a nice comfortable walk, albeit fairly long. The other 10k you get in the gym is also easily acquired just with lifestyle-adjusted 'living' steps.

For the doubters, maybe it is more instructive to examine what IS possible: Elite endurance 'steppers' (mostly running, but some fast recovery walking) can turn 160-170 steps/minute hour-after-hour. And if trying to do an 'Everest' sort of thing, they can proabably do it 22 hours out of a 24 hour day: 60 x 22 x 160 = 211,200 steps in a day. If the same elite endurance racer reduces output to say 70%, for more sleep and somewhat reduced pace, he/she can probably do 150k/day, day after day. I understand the incredulity of the average fitbit user, but viewed is this light, averaging 50k a day really is relatively easy. Also in this light, unless you have specific proof, it would be best not to accuse your betters of cheating, just because you are not fit enough or are not able to manage your time well enough to do the same. If that specific proof is your own cheating, feel free to confess.

Thank you, all! - got long miles to put in today and the extra adreneline is always appreciated.

Best Answer

@BruceBu wrote:

For the doubters, maybe it is more instructive to examine what IS possible: Elite endurance 'steppers' (mostly running, but some fast recovery walking) can turn 160-170 steps/minute hour-after-hour. And if trying to do an 'Everest' sort of thing, they can proabably do it 22 hours out of a 24 hour day: 60 x 22 x 160 = 211,200 steps in a day. If the same elite endurance racer reduces output to say 70%, for more sleep and somewhat reduced pace, he/she can probably do 150k/day, day after day.

Hmmm, I am a "near elite" runner in my age group (Men's 50-59), and my typical cadence for a long workout of ten or more miles averages right bang on 160 steps per minute (my race cadence is ~165 seemingly regardless of whether I'm running a flat 5K or a very hilly 10-Miler).  Over the last several years I've been logging over 2,000 training miles per year and know quite a few "Ultra Runners", those who compete in 50 and 100 mile races, and I have to challenge the assertion "elite endurance steppers" can log 150,000 steps day after day.  True, they routinely hit 50,000 day in and day out, but not even one of my fellow runners hits 100,000 steps every day; more like two, maybe three times per week, max.

Best Answer

The miles I do at the beach takes having a lot of endurance and stamina.    I did the 20 miles for 2 consecutive days duirng a recent work week hustle(I won!).  I probably could have did it for a 3rd day, but would have needed to be pushed.   I  definitely couldn't do it every single day.  

Best Answer

someone who is retired like myself has all day free to do what they want to do

Best Answer

Once again I'm asking all those individuals that log 50K steps or more everyday, what is their rational for doing that, so far I've only gotten 1 responce,so keep those responces coming.

Best Answer
0 Votes
agreed, the original question was how can one  sustain 50k per day for an extended period ie. more than several days in a row, let alone 50k per day per 30 day avaerage. so ebven if you have a bad day you would have to have an exceptional one to keep up the avrage 
Best Answer