Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396

Photography is a fun idea and a great idea!  I think I will adopt it.  Thank you.  I did go for a long walk this morning...for some reason just walking is boring to me.  But going down to the waterfront (I'm in Seattle) to take pics of the sea planes taking off or returning could/would be fun to incorporate into the exercise.

Best Answer
Hope it helps. I also post pics on google plus. Lots of photography outlets
there.
Best Answer
It did help. 😃

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

If the folks at FitBit would get it together they would include the Reminder To Move feature available on the Blaze. The fact that the 120 dollar watch has this and the 200 dollar Blaze does not defies all logic. They have been promising this feature since the first of 2016 and have not delivered. I write hardware/software drivers for a living ... its just not that hard. I refuse to manually look at my watch every hour. That is not acceptable. I am currrently shopping other vendors to replace the Blaze I currently own.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to hear that Reminders to Move, or lack of it, is your only reason for looking for another brand fitness tracker, @cinzianelson, but I understand how each person has different needs.  Personally, I don't have a problem with moving throughout the day, so that hasn't been an issue for me.  Since there have been so many requests for the Reminder to Move feature, it is probably a high priority for the Fitbit development people, though.

Best Answer

I am a software engineer so I get locked into writing code and many times I need a reminder to get up from my desk. I find this feature has been promised since sometime in 2015 and nobody seems at FitBit seems to know how to write drivers. Also the pedometer is not accurate. Many times when I do an hour on the Eliptical machine the machine itself registers on average 1000 more steps as the FitBit.

Best Answer

@cinzianelson wrote:

If the folks at FitBit would get it together they would include the Reminder To Move feature available on the Blaze. The fact that the 120 dollar watch has this and the 200 dollar Blaze does not defies all logic. They have been promising this feature since the first of 2016 and have not delivered. I write hardware/software drivers for a living ... its just not that hard. I refuse to manually look at my watch every hour. That is not acceptable. I am currrently shopping other vendors to replace the Blaze I currently own.

Although there are times when I just almost refuse to move a glance at my total steps or calories for the day (surge) is enough to "motivate" .  Actually I don't need or want fitbit nagging me to get up and get moving, I do a good enough job of that on my own, (ok fitbit does help out there) . 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Maybe the developers thought that if you invest in a Blaze you have progressed to the point where you don't need to be reminded to move.

Patricia Festino
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I think the Alta is their newest model, so maybe they decided to add that as a new feature. It would be nice if they could find a way to add it (firmware update?) to other models.

Best Answer

Last I checked, spending money and staying in shape are two separate things 🙂 I go to the cheapist gymn in town for 2 - 2.5 hours a day. I don't pay for a trainer. The problem is I am a software engineer and sometimes I get so focused in on writing code that I don't realize I have not moved in over an hour. I used to write drivers for embedded devices for example slot machines. I am just aggravated that FitBit does not take this seriously. My guess is they have no way to update the firmware. I am seriously looking at other vendors becuase in addition to this problem the pedometer is not accurate either. 

Best Answer

I worked many years as a system engineer, often working on embedded code for aircraft on-board systems, and I know how engrossed one becomes when working that code. But, I never needed a reminder to move - I was always getting up to talk with a co-worker, or get a tech manual, or get a cup of coffee, or....  Of course, that was in the days before instant messaging - some of my friends that are still working those programs now are inclined to IM their co-workers to ask questions, where I was inclined to visit them in person for a chat. But then, I have always been very active.  .

I seriously doubt that Fitbit does not have a way to update their firmware, though. I suspect it is more of priorities - fix bugs first, then address new features in order of demand.

Best of luck with whatever tracker you decide on. I'll stick with my Charge HR for a long time yet....

Best Answer

@cinzianelson - You stated that your Blaze is not accurately recording when you are on the elliptical, if I remember what I have read in the past, that may have something to do with the fact that you are not actually 'walking' on the elliptical. I find that my flex doesn't record accurately if I am pushing a cart in a store. You may want to look into this on other threads or in the help section.  Just my two cents.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since your Fitbit doesn't remind you, can you set an alarm on your phone or computer to make you get up at least once an hour?

Best Answer

@cinzianelson wrote:

Last I checked, spending money and staying in shape are two separate things 🙂 I go to the cheapist gymn in town for 2 - 2.5 hours a day. I don't pay for a trainer.  am seriously looking at other vendors becuase in addition to this problem the pedometer is not accurate either. 

Totally agree with spending money and staying in shape ... you can't buy being in shape .  Cheapest gym in town, same here and no trainers either (most people are more than willing to answer questions anyway) . The only thing I miss is a sauna dring the winter .   Being retired I go to the gym 3 times a week and usually get around 12k steps 6 days a week walking until it starts snowing .  

You are also correct about the pedometer not being accurate all the time, eleptical and treadmill step counts are usually low and if you're shopping using a cart forget it (another reason to avoid shopping;)  .  The eleptical ... well "elepticaling" isn't  really walking and treadmill (a winter activity) for me usually has me hanging on to the top of the display so arms are more or less staionary (mostly because being a guy I have to push those buttons and get the incline to its max) .  The flip side of low counts is of course there are also some false counts on the plus side but I feel as if fit bit must have intended for me to have those so I am entitled ot keep them with no remorse ... actually I suspect it more or less balances out after enough time .  

Gotta respect the 2+ hours a day in the gym every day 🙂 

Best Answer

Actually somebody questioned if I was walking on the Ellyptical .... Seriouslly??. I keep the speed between 145 and 165 strides per minute. After an hour, the elliptical machine registers 2000 more steps than the Fitbit.  Even when I keep the arm with device swinging freely.  I don't beleive they are ever going to put the "Reminder to Move"  on the Blaze. Fitbit is probably going to say you need to buy another $200+ device.

You are right about false steps balancing out uncounted steps if you just walking around the house or shopping. Avoid shopping ... I like it :)) 

Best Answer
Hi cinzianelson, many fitbit users have the same complaints you mention. I have had the Fitbit One since I think 2013 but haven’t used it consistently until recently. I don’t want to spend more money on updated versions. The new bracelet types just look like you are in the hospital. What I have discovered is the fitbit community and I really like it. Very encouraging and supportive…something that I have needed. Discovering how others get in those extra steps give me new ideas.

It has been a long road to success…never had the discipline to keep on the road of diet and exercise but now something has clicked. I really have only needed to lose 40 lbs…but I kept sabotaging myself. I kept letting someone have negative power over me…no more.

Maybe the fitbit doesn’t gage properly but it gives me an idea of where I am.
Best Answer

Hi Seattle Jumper,

I can understand needing motivation. There are things in my life for which a do need motivation but fitness is not one of them. I have been very athletic since I was in junior high school. I can't eat sugar and am pretty careful about what I eat so I have never had a weight problem. I have a friend at work who always says she wants to work out with me but usually comes up with excuses not to do so. I try to encourage her to go. The one time she did go, she complained that I was going too fast and left after 15 minutes. I was just slowly warming up before I went to do resistance training. 

If this device and community motivates you and keeps you more positive and consistent in staying fit, then I would stay with whatever works. 

As for me, I am looking into other devices for example Asus, Google, Garmin and I think UnderArmour is looking to upgrade what they have on the market. To promise features and not deliver for a year is not acceptable to me. I know I am a software engineer and so I am probably less tolerant than other people about empty promises made by device manufacturers.

I am glad the community and device are giving you motivation.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It doesn’t seem like you need any motivational devices for activity.
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are a couch potato like me, maybe you spend a lot of time watching sports on TV. If so, you are probably pretty familiar with the rules of one or more sports. My suggestion would be to become a referee for youth sports! You can earn a little money on the side, and trust me; you'll get your steps in. They are always looking for officials and you still get to watch sports!

Best Answer
Hi, I am glad you have found something that works for you. If I’m watching TV then I get up during commercials and jump rope…even during the show sometimes. It’s fun and really can be done anywhere. I’ve also started walking in the mornings…not really my favorite thing to do but being in Seattle there are lots of hills…heaven help me if I trip going down a hill since I won’t stop until I fall into Elliott Bay. LOL I am also working out on the Total Gym…it doesn’t add steps but I’m losing inches like crazy. Woo Hoo. I love this group for support and encouragement.
Best Answer