Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396
Here's another interesting reason! Australian researchers measured systematically velocity of 1700 men, aged about 70 years for 5 years. Their average speed was only 3 km / h. During this period, 266 men died. Those men who had a speed of more than 3 km / h, had a risk of death by 35% lower than average. Those who had more than 5 km / h The mower could not reach them! Among the dead was not even one who had an average speed of more than 5 km / h. Although relatively little heart calls, brisk walking is one of the best ways to train the circulatory system and reduce the risk of cardiovascular accident, proving to be superior to other sports like jogging or rowing. In addition, walking spare joints and has a low injury potential. Secret exceptional efficiency of brisk walking is the fact that no other sport activates so many muscles. Cycling 35% of muscles are trained, jogging - between 70% and 90% are involved in walking. Addition to the above mentioned: All the earth's surface is crossed, along and across, some energy bands - called radiation Hartman. Walking on foot, these bands intersect energy and replenish energy. Provided, that benefit from that energy is to have a travel speed greater than 3 km / h. So it's important to walk briskly for a long and healthy life!
steps to health with my Blaze 101
Best Answer
Mark Baker, a researcher at the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, an institution British public health, recommends "a healthy food hygiene, combined with some sporting activity". It also states that sport is not a solution in itself, recalling that unhealthy diet leads to more diseases than physical inactivity, smoking and drinking together (!).
steps to health with my Blaze 101
Best Answer

I do two or three workouts.  I was trying to do ten thousands steps a day, but I find that high intensity interval training is better than draining yourself in a long slow workout.   Everybody says that anyway. 

I'm scared that I will gain back the weight if I don't get my act together.  But I can't be so hard on myself. So strict I mean.  it's not right to overdo it. 

Best Answer

@productivity wrote:

I do two or three workouts.  I was trying to do ten thousands steps a day, but I find that high intensity interval training is better than draining yourself in a long slow workout.   Everybody says that anyway. 

I'm scared that I will gain back the weight if I don't get my act together.  But I can't be so hard on myself. So strict I mean.  it's not right to overdo it. 

Many folks, myself included, will argue HIIT is good for toning up, however, it isn't terribly effective at burning fat and losing weight;if burning fat/losing weight are your goal, far better you go out and do long walks, or better still, long runs.

Best Answer

Toning up is what?..........losing fat.  HIIT is one of the most effective ways to utilize fat and will lead to the EPOC effect 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@aps10 wrote:

Toning up is what?..........losing fat.  HIIT is one of the most effective ways to utilize fat and will lead to the EPOC effect 

Ummm, no, toning up is not losing fat.  Toning up is strengthening muscles.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Seriously.....this is my problem with these types of forums........so much miss-information. Ok I will give it a try.......what is the difference between toning and resistance training or the subtle differences. Because when ever anyone I train wants to tone, they generally don't want to build any more muscle, just lose fat. Steady state cardiovascular training is highly ineffective for fat loss - as born out by countless research. HIIT or multi joint resistance training is far more effective........again born out by countless research. And I won't even charge you.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@aps10 wrote:
Seriously.....this is my problem with these types of forums........so much miss-information. Ok I will give it a try.......what is the difference between toning and resistance training or the subtle differences. Because when ever anyone I train wants to tone, they generally don't want to build any more muscle, just lose fat. Steady state cardiovascular training is highly ineffective for fat loss - as born out by countless research. HIIT or multi joint resistance training is far more effective........again born out by countless research. And I won't even charge you.

Sent from my iPad

I'm not sure where you're getting your data, but you've got it exactly backwards.

Best Answer
0 Votes
So the research I mentioned is not correct.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@aps10 wrote:
So the research I mentioned is not correct.

Let's just say heavily biased.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have some advice for you.......stop posting
Best Answer
0 Votes

@aps10 wrote:
I have some advice for you.......stop posting

You're pretty funny; not going to happen.

Best Answer
0 Votes
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> body { font-family: "Calibri","Slate Pro",sans-serif,"sans-serif"; color:#262626 }
I feel sorry for those on this forum who think your information is accurate. Maybe you should spend some time researching before you comment.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the TELUS network.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Seriously?  What the heck is your problem?  The sad fact is HIIT is just another passing fad; those who dring the Kool-Aid swear by it, the rest of us not only know better, we have a HUGE body of research supporting our knowledge.

At this point I suggest we agree to disagree and drop it; we don't need to give the forum moderators more work cleaning up a nasty exchange.

Best Answer
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> body { font-family: "Calibri","Slate Pro",sans-serif,"sans-serif"; color:#262626 }
OK, help educate me then. Direct me to some research that substantiates your claim.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the TELUS network.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, at this point the better part of valor is to simply agree to disagree.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A warm welcome to the Fitbit Community @lacieloo! Nice to see you here. Heart

I totally understand where you coming from, getting to the next level should be always your main goal, as you already took the decision on changing you sedentary lifestyle to be more active. I wanted to give some tips that were useful for me. 

Go for a walk each evening  or morning – Even if it's just for 20 minutes after work, you'll see that is not that difficult and it's better if you have a partner in crime that can walk with you. Woman Very Happy
Go dancing –  or dance in your house, there are videos that you can use to motivate yourself
Get a dog or walk a neighbor's dog – Taking it for a walk 3 – 4 times a day is a great way to be active.
Walk or ride your bike to work – If it's too far then ride to the supermarket or a friend's house or just twice around the park. :3 You can do it!
Wear comfortable clothes and shoes - when you wear comfortable clothes and shoes to work you are more likely to be more active.
Take breaks to move - Put some time in your calendar and set an alarm to remind you to take a break of what you doing and just walk.Woman Wink

Hope this helps, happy stepping! Woman Very Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

One of the easiest ways Ive found is to get your self a position(job) where walking is required. For example postman, fed ex , ups, factory work where your standing and moving. It sounds far fetched to change careers to get moving but for some of us its a priority. And it works! especially if you have had success otherwise

Best Answer
Glad I found this thread, and thank you for asking that question! My situation exactly. Looking forward to reading all of the suggestions. 😀
Best Answer

I wish I could get more than 5000 steps a day, but due to arthritis in my knee, it`s very hard. Some days I can walk 2 1/2 miles around the neighborhood in about 45 minutes. I always park when shopping at far ends of the parking lot. But sometimes at home I`m not able to go out and walk so I try to just walk around from room to room for about 20 minutes totaling a half mile maybe twice a day. Som e days I can`t even do much of that. So I just do what I can do. Would like to lift weights, too but can`t do that either due to no rotater cuff in my right arm. 😞  Being 77 years old I do the best I can. My mind says go and my body says no. Sure wish I could do more. I have to ignore the beeps most of the time. Some days I get a couple of them done.

Best Answer