Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much should I ride a stationary bike?

Hi, so each day I walk around 10-15 km outside and 15-20 more at the gym. The total of my walked kilometers is 31. At the gym my pace is around 6.6-6.7km/h and outside around 5-5.5 km/h. My question is: how much kilometers and at what pace should I ride a stationary bike so that it is equivalent to my usual walking?

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Of course it depends on how much effort you put into each, but probably best to compare METs (metabolic equivalents, see here). Turns out that both moderate walking (5.5 kph) and moderate stationary spinning have nearly the same METs, so they should require nearly the same amount of time for the same burn. In your case, 31 km/5.5 kph = 5.6 hours - that's a lot of spinning! As for kilometers, a general rule is that biking will cover 3 times the distance as walking at the same level of effort. Thus distance = 3x31 km = 93 km,  and to do it in the same time of 5.6 hours the (virtual) pace should be 16.6 kph.

Best Answer

So i tried to bicycle but I spend half an hour and was about to die from oterexersion..I managed to cover a distance of only 6.5 km and based on all the calculators that I saw I hace to cycle 2-3 hours more if I want to reach my daily average so thanks bur no So i guess I will walk

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Blank124  So you are saying that it is more difficult to bicycle your daily average distance than it is to walk it? I think there is something wrong with your bicycle.

Best Answer

I would keep the stationary bicycle work in mind. As your fitness improves, the bike will be useful. The bike will allow you to easily control the intensity of the work. With walking, there's only so much one can do to up the intensity of walking.

Walking is great though, no doubt about it.

I'd encourage you to look at calories burned for your walking vs. the bike. It's a better measure of how hard you're working. For me, I can get more calories from the bike, but that may just be me. Best of luck.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Yeah, I used a normal stationary bike and it was so hard, 30 minutes on it felt like forever. And it was on level 0. I don’t know, I guess I’m just too used to walking

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Blank124 I find stationary bike pretty boring so it always feels hard work and a long time, but cycling outdoors is much more fun, interesting and meaningful to me (it gets me places I need or want to go) and if there is a hill you work harder without questioning why you should work harder - you just do it! So it might be worth trying outdorr biking. Or listen to music or an audio book or watch a film while on the stationary bike to take your mind off the task.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Stationary bike is boring.

I do have to get on it for 40 minutes for therapy. I can only do 20 minutes at a time so I get on it twice.

But I watch TV while I ride

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I do both every day.I walk about 8000-10000 steps plus ride a stationery bike 4 miles at a medium pace which takes maybe 50 minutes.

Even watching tv like i do when i ride  i don't think i could make stationary biking my only exercise as the heart rate doesn't get as high as walking and it's monotonous.

Best Answer
0 Votes